What if there was a social network just for Graphic Design & Illustrators O.O; - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry but I don't think you are quite grasping how the art industry works.

1. Why should anyone post work on your site if they could recieve negative votes?

2. Who is going to pay to post jobs when so many places are clammering to post them for free?

The answer to both those questions is probably the same. If you had a huge following then you might get some employers willing to pay for getting their job featured, but not many. So far I don't see that you're offering anything to the professional artists. They are your target market. Find a way to appeal to them and everyone else will come running.

I said in your last thread, what artists need is someway to coordinate all of their social media updates from a single non-confusing/spamming location.
    Think linkedin, twitter, blogs, facebook, tumblr... et al. Be a professional interface that saves time and hassel and people will use it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't facebook initially founded on the idea that photos of students would be put on display for a "who is prettier?" vote and it was quickly taken down as many students got offended?

I might be confusing it with something else, though. Just reminded me.
    I don't understand what the difference to deviantart would be, apart from a more confrontational voting system (as supposed to favoring, page views and daily deviations). Deviantart is expanding in the areas of social networking and I guess it will only be a matter of time that you can link fb with dA seaminglessly.

I mean, cghub could be described as a more serious form of deviantart with similar ambitions like yours, yet most artists seem to use these sites only in addition to own online portfolios and websites.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think you are quite grasping how the art industry works.

1. Why should anyone post work on your site if they could receive negative votes?
    That's a very good point. &The way it's set up now you can only see that top rated, and similarly to cghub and deviant art those who receive 'negative votes' just aren't seen at the top or displayed as popular. Similar conventions as deviant art, cghub in how they display most popular, just a different way of evaluating instead of most views/faved/comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The difference being, their ranking systems are based on positive actions such as views/faved/comments as you stated. What you've proposed is a ranking system based on negative actions such as being voted down. They sound simular but they're are totally different. The positive systems are barely there they're an organic byproduct of the sites use. A negative system would be heavily felt. I still don't believe it would do well, because who will have the right to vote?.. And why should we let anyone have the power to vote on our hard work. Their isn't any incentive for pro's to post their work to have it compared to that of 13yr olds. It just won't happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, your voting system would produce "Mediocrity".

If everyone likes your work, it's probably a good indicator that you're doing something wrong.
    http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012/06/mediocrity.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin View Post
    Right, your voting system would produce "Mediocrity".

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012/06/mediocrity.html
    MOST awesome blog article Bowlin, I learned a lot from that, TY. Wouldn't all voting methods even {likes/favs/comments} be exclusionary? While some receive likes, the others do not. And by that premise wouldn't even likes promote a sense of mediocrity? The question is how do you get around the rating (likes/favs/pairs) whatever, and actually qualify designs without mediocrity?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know. Spectrum selects professional artist to judge for their book. And then rotates them each year.

You might also like this James Gurney article.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2012/07/measures-of-greatness.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin View Post

You might also like this James Gurney article.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2012/07/measures-of-greatness.html
    Wow, yea that is a great article TY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HOTU...ature=youtu.be

[VIDEO]

Version 2.0 themed more to online art/design collecting

Thoughts on an app for online art&design collecting/sharing?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by B.K. Conn; August 15th, 2012 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To start off, I think you should ask, what are other sites doing well, and can we put all those good things in one place? Some examples:

I like Facebook's feature where you see a small blow-up of profile pictures when you hover over the thumbnails. I wish CGHub would do that.
    Tons of thumbnails to see, hover over them to get a better preview.

(CGHub might look something like this.)

I like what cgsociety does when you click on an artist's image. It provides the full resolution version. I love full screen stuff and seeing the detail work.

Ideally, I would pair this full screen view with something like the Google+ image viewer's thumbnail menu. You pull up an image, and below are thumbnails of other images from that album. That's good. I like easily navigating through full resolution images.

What else is good? Check out 500px. I like 500px because you can find a photographer you admire, go into their profile, and see their favorited images of photographers THEY admire. It's like finding out who inspires the person inspiring you.
    Another good thing about 500px (and many other sites) is when you favorite or vote up a photo, it goes into your favorited or 'likes' folder for later viewing. You can find all the photos you like in one place.

What else is good? How about Pinterest (eww, Pinterest is for girls), or Pandora? They recommend things similar to your likes. If you like one style, they show you others similar to that style. In my case, I like noir and 50's art, so maybe the site recommends some Frank Miller drawings and some Gil Elvgren paintings.

Anyway, those ideas are all just off the top of my head. The focus of an artist is to make good work and show it to people, so your goal should be to help with the showing. The easier it is for an artist to put his work out there in all its grandeur, the more artists will use your site. With that as your foundation, THEN you could consider new radical ideas like "voting" or whatever.

(P.S. saying, "If you don't get Top Rated no one sees." in your youtube promo is bad phrasing and probably a bad thing to say altogether. It sounds like a threat.)

Last edited by manlybrian; August 15th, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.