Opinion on Art Classes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Opinion on Art Classes

Hi!

I'm new to the forums but I wanted some opinions on this: I'm really interested in art, and I've been drawing and painting for years. I don't see myself improving much, though, and I feel over my head so I was suggested to take art classes.
    I've had a few bad experiences with art classes, though, so I'm rather hesitant to take one again. Once I expected to learn and it was more like arts and crafts for children, another time I got no attention from the instructor.

The classes in my area are mostly at community centers. Should I maybe take classes online or find a private teacher? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do whatever you like. Try several approaches and pick the one that works the best for you.

What's important is that you want to improve your skill, and to do that you'll need to work on it, classes or not. So begin with identifying what, exactly, you want to get better at, and tailor your practice to addressing the problems you find.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmx View Post
    Hi!

I'm new to the forums but I wanted some opinions on this: I'm really interested in art, and I've been drawing and painting for years. I don't see myself improving much, though, and I feel over my head so I was suggested to take art classes.
    I've had a few bad experiences with art classes, though, so I'm rather hesitant to take one again. Once I expected to learn and it was more like arts and crafts for children, another time I got no attention from the instructor.

The classes in my area are mostly at community centers. Should I maybe take classes online or find a private teacher? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    Well depending on what kind of art you want to do. I recommend taking a workshop from a successful nationally recognized artist.

Joe Paquet for landscape painting

Rob Liberace for Figure painting

Nathan Fowkes for Concept art

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Without knowing what you want to do, or knowing what classes you want to take, and even the fact the classes are not even described on this thread...I'm not sure what advice you want.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Community center classes are usually pretty cheap, keep trying, you may hit something good.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out the local community/state college and look for workshops that might be in your area -- search online (Google) if you have to. When inspecting any nearby schools and teachers, remember to look for their (the instructor's) artwork so you can see if it's worth shelling out cash to try and learn from them.

Also, good artists don't always make good teachers. You might be able to look up student reviews online, but those are fairly biased...so it's hard to say whether or not you'll get your bang for your buck. The most you can do is look at their body of work and see if it's worth taking out cash or not to be taught by them.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learn from many sources not one.

Take a class, teach yourself, study under someone if possible, find a buddy also interested in art to compare with, create a sketchbook on here, start a youtube account, travel to workshops, etc...

All of these help each in their own way. Do you have to do all of them? Nope. Are some better/quicker than others? Possibly. Should you be drawing right now? Yes very much so.

Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmx View Post
    I've had a few bad experiences with art classes, though, so I'm rather hesitant to take one again.

The classes in my area are mostly at community centers.
    Everyone has had a few bad experiences with art classes...that's why the good ones, and good instructors are in such high demand.

If you're community is large enough to have classes at community centers you likely live in an area where there may be a community college or university? That still doesn't guarantee much though, but don't discount the community center courses, sometimes you find a gem amongst them.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.