ChOW#298 :: FINALS :: Wasteland Bard

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who will be signalling the arrival of the next monarch?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Floopate

4 7.02%
  • Noctisette

3 5.26%
  • marko markovic

7 12.28%
  • witcrack

23 40.35%
  • Janjager

22 38.60%
  • BloodyBoOger

1 1.75%
  • Lagarto

3 5.26%
  • 28thwing

21 36.84%
  • mcreation

13 22.81%
  • Chi___yo

2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character of the Week #298
    Wasteland Bard

Design a wandering bard from the wasteland of a dystopian future!!

DEADLINE: MONDAY 6th August 8PM GMT+1 (9PM British Summer Time)
    Check your timezone!

Post your final images in this thread. Remember, any comments posted BEFORE the poll is posted will be removed without any sort of warning.

CHECK YOUR TIMEZONE

CHECK YOUR FILENAME

MAKE SURE YOUR IMAGE ADHERES TO THE BRIEF

The Guidelines:
    • Can be male of female
    • Must be from a dystopian future
    • They are a wanderer so consider appropriate attire
    • What else do they carry apart from their instrument
    • Must include an instrument with a weapon

THE RULES
    In addition to the brief, if you do not follow these rules, you will not be included in the poll.
    • Files must be named: CHoW#298_Username 
(Files with any other names such as final.jpg or even chow298final.jpg will not be accepted)
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread BEFORE the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
    • At least 3/4 of the focus character must be visible
    • Final images must be accompanied with a basic character sheet in a separate image
 Character sheets should at the very least show a sketch of the front and back of the character and a couple of early thumbnails/silhouettes.
    • Follow the brief!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Floopate's Wandering Dystopian Rebel Bard

Here's my take on the dystopian rebel bard. My apologies for being unable to post WIPS in the other thread, but i have been bereft of internet the whole week and so have been unable to post anything.

My Bard plays an instrument akin to the bagpipes, but the 'bladder' is around his belly and the pipes are all over his body. As can be seen, the tips of the pipes are sharp and can be used to keep people away from him, if need be, he is able to pull out one of his pipes to use it as a spear type weapon.

This is not his main weapon though, what really makes him dangerous is his use of poisonous clouds and noxious fumes that he can release through his pipes.

I have included a front and back view in the main file, but didnt know if the views were required in the other file, there is a rough WIP version of them somewhere in there. My creation process is messy and was scattered on various pieces of paper so i scanned them all in and put them together on the computer. Hope this is acceptable.

*edited the images because they were MUCH too large to be viewed comfortably.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Floopate; August 4th, 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My version of the bard. This is somewhat inspired by mrcreation's piece, other elements of inspiration includes Hellboy 2's Johann Krauss and Wall-E.

In this world, the air was far too polluted to breathe without filtering apparatus, every living human was issued the backpack air filter. This guy modified the air filter to be a speaker that's directly connected to his gas mask. His instrument is actually a harp, but situation calls for modifications that led the harp formed more like a bow, with curved blade. The dent on top of the blade was result from a recent ambush. Luckily he got out of it unscathed.

This piece is a chance for me to try out different, faster painting technique. Also, I failed the background, it's supposedly like those Wall-E's tower of junks..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noctisette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final !
    best wishes to all

Last edited by marko markovic; August 6th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to marko markovic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His name is Cray. He's a new bard (just passed his initiation) in the bardic collective called Sonicterror. This collective, as the name implied, is mainly dealing with music bombing, in which the bard(s), hide some tiny speakers, in numerous locations across the chosen site, and then play the instrument(s) live (but hidden to public eyes). It is clear that music bombing is a very risky business, often times life-threatening, but despise this fact, many bards throughout this realm restrain themselves to take other's life. Thus, it is tradition in many bardic collectives to never carry any kind of lethal weapons. So our hero Cray is only equipped with an Instrument Suite. Cray's Instrumen Suite includes a keytar with built-in stun gun, a backpack with built-in special speakers that can create a sonic barrier that paralyzes anyone who is within perimeter, a protective headphones and microphone for protection, communication as well as entertainment, and finally a Long Jacket with a camouflage system (much like Snake's Camo-Suit). Also a tradition among many bardic collectives, is a habit to wear pin-badges or patches bearing other bardic collective names.

Sorry for the wall of text :p

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wasteland Bard

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasteland Bard

A lonesome artist in a Dystopian Future, what has he have left but if not himself and his love for music. He walks endlessly and hopeless day by day in this treacherous wasteland, just trying to make it by in a world where nothing matters to him but his songs. As the sun goes down and days turn into quite nights his voice and notes cover the dark and calm sky...bandits! can hear him sing but, know to stay away. For this lonely cowboy, doesn't like to play.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my bard. She wanders the world trying to make enough money to survive, her only posession being her preciated violin. She doesn´t usually have to fight, because she prefers hiding and avoiding conflicts, but when threatened, she prefers to fight throwing her violin´s bow like a projectile. If that fails, or if she doesn´t have enough distance, she uses the blade in her modified violin.

learned a lot with this one! really fun.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lagarto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and my version:

Last edited by 28thwing; August 6th, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: +steps

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 28thwing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my final, its not complete as i wanted, but here it go!!
    because if music have been banished then the acess to instruments would be difficult, and this guy found out the old ancestral trumpet, of his great great grandfather, and from the first moment he was in love by it, and by music, so he formed the rebellion and with his own trumpet he will make revolution by his own hands.
    i decided that the character, is part of the three rebellion groups formed in the world, coming from the west rebellion, known as the fa-clave, compost by long range weapons incorporated in, blow instruments, with red fiery capes, marking them,
    other rebbelions include:
    the south, rebellion using the cords, and strings, with machine guns,and slicing blade weapons things incorporated in their instruments, marked by yellow colors on their capes, coming from south, known as the sol-clave
    and the final one, the big guys from east, with drum instruments, that blast oponents, with fiery sound, and dj tables, mixing strange notes that confuses oponents and knocks them down, marked by bright blue capes, known as the do-clave
    but all over the world, in "silence" small groups are appearing, and starting to show their voices, a really revolution is coming hehehe...

my charecter clothes are somewhat inspired by middle eastern, hooded, clothes, with long cloaks light armour for protection but ease of moving, layered cloth, to alow better movement and safe guard from cold, dust sand, a mask with fa clave, to disguise, and baggy pants for easy movement too, his trumpet, anounces death from the distance, but allows him to fight in close combat.

Last edited by mcreation; August 6th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mcreation For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, my entry. Dude has an eigenharp, plugs into the speakers in his backpack.

Totally changed my idea at the last minute (did post a WIP in the other thread)

Last edited by Chi___yo; August 6th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CLOSED

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NoctisetteI just want to thanks, and say i feel flattered, for you picking inspiration on my piece

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mcreation For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well some critics and apreciation
    Floopate-like the idea, the tumbnail are aawesomes, and your take on tradicional medium, looks good, but i feel i need more colour for your concept, because of the fumes, it would be amazing if it was portraited, more in depth, and the final drawing is confusing to me, but good work..keep it up, try to work the values a bit more.

Noctisette good idea, and the colours really give me wasteland feel, try to work more on anatomy, and start with simple relaxed poses, with more dynamic, he feels a little static (remember to use a "s" or "c" curve as first line for pose, coming from head that drives your entire character, and then work the anatomy), also in the bow, i wouldn´t have used two parts (one for securing the cord, and putting the hand, and other as the blade, i would have use one, and give in the middle of the blade, a grapping thing, it would look more badass

marko markovic good work as always, but as ive seen in my work, he doesnt look very futuristic, and the instrument weapon is not clear to me, and i dont understand the book (i thing is a book, correct me if iam wrong), but good work, liked the silhoette of the building in the back, gives drama looks to me like a lighthouse

witcrack very , very nice ideas, all put together in a excelent way for me, and love the description and story, it all complements together, i though about that instrument but considered it to hard for me to tackle, (or maybe i didnt find pacience to design all the keys hehe) on a note, i would add the camouflage idea to the jacket, maybe turning his botton starting, to camouflage with the back, it would look cool, nice comic style, and research

JanJager very nice and simple aproach, it looks very cool, and has amazing painterly feel, just on a note, i dont really get your weapon instrument, it look very nice to me, have some feel of a weapon, but i cant discern how it works as a weapon, if is just the sound, or is it a projectile weapon, and it is played like a violin, or like a guitar?, but hey its design is super cool, i want one like that

BloodyBoOger nice story, and idea, and style, but i feel like the character is unfinished in some way, and the arm in the back looks weird to me, but maybe is just me, i would have gonne with the red strip all the way down, to really look, like a poster thing, like it is, the first thing that it looks to me is a door, hehe, but hey nice work

Lagarto hey nice work, and good rendering on the jacket, but next time, look out for anatomy, if the pose is difficult try to search for reference photos, or photograph yourself, it will really help, also watch out the perspective on the road, it only would look like that if looked from above, remember, the vanishing point, if looking straight ahead to the horizon, it is in the middle, if looking up, it is on the botton, if looking down it is in the top, and most importantly, remenber the shadow that grounds your character

28thwing simply amazing to me, since idea, weapon, colors, style, really, really nice, and your wip is also amazing, speacially the weapon rendering, i wish i had your skills, you are a inspiration to me

mcreation me, i really need to work on rendering more, and cleaning some edges, hehehe

Chi___yo very nice, and cool rendering style, but i feel it needed to be pushed a little bit more, maybe change the pose to give him a stronger feel,, as he looks a strong guy, maybe some looking up perspective to give him power, reinforce his large shoulders, a bit of a dramatic lighting, you know that fancy stuff, that turn, good, into wowww, but being a last minute change is really good really, nice work

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mcreation For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1