Sketchbook: Hardcore's Handjobs - 03/14/2005 - updated - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww ShuX
    your thread name is very deciving,
    I came in here expecting to see erotic pix...

Your stuff is quite awsome,
    I like the fact you have the ability to draw a person's figure from an overhead view, I'm use to only seeing side views
    and I really like those above/below views,
    it's quite extrodinary
    keep up those
    angles
    and
    ideas

=MoK=
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAAAArrhhg....
    HPX, you are so incredibly good .. I.. I don't really know what to say.

You are a style-hound... about the finest I know. Your stuff is so very very powerful it bounces of the screen and into my brain. And yes, that sounds stupid, but I don't really care. :p

Thanks a whole lot for the update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HPX your line quality is loose and chaotic. your concepts and ideas are wicked nice. do you use any kind of reference or are these straight from the dome? how do you approach a sketch? do u start building off of a single idea/sketch and go from there? also who are some of your influences art wise?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me likes abnormal surrealism/unreal to.

Excellent work.

alx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    philippe, man i love your sketches, so awesome... it was an honor to trade sketches in each others books...
    makes me want to go sketch more in pen

thanks for posting these

hope we get to hang out again soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my god. this stuff just blows me away! it's so awesome! fantastic stuff man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I pretty much second what everyone else is saying. I like your style alot, hope to see more on here soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we should all thank to the User name of our fellow artist.... if it wasn't for the name i wouldn't have clicked on it...
    I'm intressted , how do you get inspired? music/other peoples works/watching oprah?

Everyone can play guitar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work as usual!

Do you often rough out sketches in coloured pencil before you commit the finished pencil line to paper?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your last posts are really good. If I was an excentric billionaire, I'd hire you to design my life.

nice one fella

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this thread is so amazing. everytime i look at your sketches its like looking at them for the first time. i love your style, looseness and speed. too dope.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha these are outstanding as usual. you never cease to make my mouth water...damn right you need to come out to frisco bro! i git nox talking about maybe in the winter, if you can you should come out too. get you rocking on some walls! until we meet again my brother-c36

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :ep: wow wow wow... i cant believe i havent seen this post before!

these are some of the most energetic and loose drawings ive ever seen, so much to look at yet there so easy to see whats meant to be seen!

im... just.. amazed!

keep it up and keep this thread alive!!

p.s. did i mention "WOW!!" lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all been said before, but let me reiterate it again...

you fucking rock.

that's all there is to it.

I watched you and insane visions have a battle and it was freaking breathtaking watching things show up on the page that I couldn't even imagine. Watching you work and then coming back and re-reading this thread, I was so happy to have some insight into how you created these works.

your pencils are awesome. thanks SOOOOO much for coming to Austin and sharing with all of us.

maldrin

d a v i d p i n e

ONLY CONNECT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i stumbled accross your site about a year ago i think, and got lost in it for about an hour. i've been a fan ever since.
    great stuff man. great stuff.
    oh, and are you designing the new conceptart.org? or did i get my info all screwed up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So awesome/inspiring! thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the angles on some of thoese espicialy the angel like one. u have a very rough style too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres a lot i can say about each piece.. but overall all this stuff is so DYNAMIC!!!! love your lines, imagination, perspective, motion...especially motion!!! anytime i see a drawing and i feel like its ready to move off the page then its a winner and you won! much inspiration here...and all over these forums sheesh! damn i love this place..

thanks for sharing, ....gettin closer to starting my own dsb

-Don
    ...i saved all your images for closer examination! :bigeyes:

EDIT:
    I guess the slippery surface of the wacom made me work in a quick and dirty way that doesn't really suit paper.
    i apply tracing paper on top of my tablet so im not drawin on plastic..plus the contact feels a bit more realistic to paper..somewhat

Last edited by brkofdon; July 3rd, 2004 at 10:04 PM.
    "The only thing that the world will not have enough of is exaggeration"
    Salvador Dali
    ------
    Don's Daily Sketches! -yay-
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Genius!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it.....;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohhh damn your style is awesome
    plz more .......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    syrogen > thanks a lot. i'll gladly trade some energy for academic skills though.
    plouffe > I've been a long time fan of your work. i hope we can meet at the next workshop dood, til then, see you around on irc.
    troymcoy > thanks ! i've always considered my drawings as 'static' (prolly due to my european comics references) and some friends always tried to push me into doing more dynamic stuff. when i discovered mangas with akira and appleseed, it was a blast. so much motion and dynamism. i'm still far from that level but i guess some of my pics have more motion now.
    mogando25 > thanks
    metalwinds > man, seeing your sketchbook was a honor for me. actually, no. i hate the likes of you. talented youngster...grrrr. you make me feel old and worthless. next time we meet, i'll break your arm and burn your sketchbook :dork:
    About spending more time on sketches, well, i usually hate spending time on things in general, and especially on sketches. it could be a good thing, but i have too much bad habits now, and i guess it's too late to start all over. i better find a way to live with that. actually, these sketches were already a really good practice to slow down my strokes and gestures compared to my digital technique.
    the loose strokes are just... loose strokes i often don't know in advance what i'm sketching. it's like finding patterns in chaos, so i sometime like to throw in 'random' strokes just to get a dynamic in the picture then look back and try to figure out shapes in these. that's the reason of the loose strokes.
    i have never been interested by finished pictures (but maybe i should, you're right), i just sketch to find new process to get out of my usual shapes. (ok, since the shapes are always the same, i guess i'm still far for my objective, eh...)

elboy> thanks. i love balllpoints because they are like the perfect mix between pencils and ink pens (i like to use g-tech c4 also). plus they are cheap

Angela > thanks. i'll try to update on a weekly basis or at least 2 times a month. i can't sketch that much when i'm in paris.

dzu> thanks a lot. glad to hear my incoherent blabberings made some sense for you

metaphysiks > thanks. about the depth issue, i'll sound like an ass : actually i kind of look for that incoherent space. i always think in terms of 2 dimensional shapes and lines. i often try to describe volumes in terms of interesting patterns and areas. i try to build a relation between objects of the scene that is based on similar/repeating/etc shapes, not based on real-life/physical arrangement. i realize this sounds like the artsy-wannabe guy who talks shit to hide his technical flaws... guess it started that way back then and the worst thing is now, i trully believe every word i wrote

bryan> i love you too bro !

insane > rich ! my long-lost and newly-found twin brother ! i'm so glad that i met you. i hope we'll share more shots in the near future ! (does that sound gay enough ?)

oblio > ça va bien ? tranquille ? OC quand tu veux ! thank you so much for being you.

daspetey > thanks. i like that stretching girl too. so un-natural for me to draw that kind of pic. feels like i've done something new for once.

qstom > i listen to a lot of darkstep drum&bass, guess that's where all the tension comes from

corvus corax > thanks. i try to practice that angle thing. hard but worth the hassle.

ra havok > thanks to you for the kind words. about that 'style' stuff, it's really a weakness more than a strength actually. someone said that style is only how you deal with your technical flaws (or something...i'm just french so don't expect me to give accurate quotes uh). basically i use a lot of gimmicks and 'tricks' to avoid dealing with the parts that are really hard to draw. it looks like style but it's only lazyness and bad habits. really good pencilers don't need the tricks to get a good drawing.

spacejukie > i work more with my brain and hands than my eyes - it's not always a good thing though. i use no references in the sense that i don't use photographs or life models. but as everyone, i have build up some kind of mental database through the years. I just try to expand and tweak this database with each sketch.
    about the process : i have 2 main approches.
    1. when i already have some kind of theme, i just try to think about dynamics and composition, i usually start with a strong element that will give an overall dynamic to the picture and build up around this, adjusting balance with new elements.
    2. sometimes i go all random, just throwing loose strokes here and there, like some telephone doodle. light strokes first to get patterns all over the place, then i try to figure out some link between those patterns and use a darker stroke or hatching to make them pop out.
    influences art-wise : i think the biggest influences were the artists i discovered when i started to draw : Philippe Druillet, Bill Sienkiewicz, Moebius, Syd Mead. After that i looked for older (read 'dead') artists : Gustav klimt, Schiele, Velasquez. and illustrators like Mc Ginnis. That's about it. I was really more attracted by looks than message. After that i studied architecture and art history and i really discovered Pollock, Rothko, Mondrian,... architects like coop himmelblau, morphosis, ghery, lebbeus woods, takamatsu, koolhaas,.... I like abstract things, i like video art, and the works of director Shinya Tsukamoto, Sogo Ishii, Takashi Miike, Wong Kar Wai. these guys build up my universe.... hum. i almost forgot. of course : Craig Mullins was like some lightning bolt aimed at my brain when i started to paint digitally 4 years ago. i try to do my 'own' thing but i'm forever in debt to this guy for expending my horizon like no one did for the past 10 years before him. Today, i don't really look at art, it's like some signal to noise effect you know. seeing or knowing things just block me. I mean, i think i'm sometimes too close to ashley wood's stuff. i've read his books, but i don't consider him as an influence, it's more like he's doing what i've always feel like doing, but he is doing it better than me. very frustrating and hard to manage, so now, i avoid looking at things to avoid being influenced or blocked. at the same time, just watching coro's sketchbook, andrew & marko's process have changed me. i know i prolly wouldn't have started a new sketchbbok if not for these guys. i owe them a lot. i'm grateful and confused at the same time. thanks guys. i love you

softdrawer > thanks

wes > it was my honor to be given the opportunity to scribble on your sketchbook. your sb is the most amazing thing i've seen since i looked at coro's sb. thanks for the inspiration and butt kicking. marko found the good words about you. you'll go very high. at least, you deserve it 1000 times.

willschnevel > thanks

sean > thanks. i'm slowly running out of vocabulary.

beatngo > about influences, you can read the reply to spacejukie some lines above. about music, i like to draw while listening to drum&bass, hiphop (mf doom, el-p, co-flow, ... i don't like mainstream hiphop) or jazz (bebop or freejazz : coltrane, ornette coleman, davis, parker, rollins...). some detroit techno or minimal house also. i'm kind of open minded concerning music genres but i only like a few artists in each genre. wow i feel like a real geek now, all my likes and dislikes are displayed for everyone to see. i also like to watch shemale midget pr0ns. hard to find though.

spook > nope, most of these sketches are made using a ballpoint pen.

summer pudding > your life would be all about shemales, midgets, bling bling and animal love. now show me the bucks.

flex mathews> ty !

coro > ok, i'll come with my Noxie biatch then. we will make your sheets all dirty. and say hi to melissa (is it spelled that way?). and tell her that nox and i are NOT gay, jeez. now i think it all started because of those crazy portraits you did with that pinkish color

steiner > thanks !
    maldrin > i have to thank jason, andrew and all the massiveblack crew for putting all this event together. i've learned so much during those 4 days. i'm glad i had the opportunity to be part of this. it was great meeting everybody and sharing all this manheat. kinky.

van > i hear you
    complete2> nope i won't be designing the new CA. i was supposed to do so but: i suck, i'm lazy, my mails never got to jason but from what i know, the new layout will be great.

bojee> Thanks
    chtomp> thanks
    brkofdon> actually, now i'm used to the slippery wacom and i enjoy it. i just wish real paper would feel like a wacom tablet
    cateic > not me. but thanks
    behemot5 > thanks
    master-mod > updating in progess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update. i won't be able to sketch a lot this month.
    Hardcore's Handjobs - 03/14/2005 - updated
    can you find the 2 heads that are not totally fucked up ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i love looking at your sketches...always great to see new ones

was really cool to find out that youre doing stuff for that decipher project too, cant wait to see what you come up with

if you and nox are gonna make it out to frisco, let me know...im trying to plan a time to go out there too, would be awesome to all meet up again

-wes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you never cease to amaze me...

btw, i can't find the 2 good heads, they're all awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn hpx i gotta click and save a whole new round of images... ( i say it like its a bad thing) thanks for sitting down and talking with me that night at the omni and showing me your old drawings complete with perspective lines. it was getting daunting watching you freehand every insane perspective shot. i look forward to seeing more of your work. your a good guy and a great inspiration. if you hit stateside lemme know. i should get back on msn and hit ya up in the next couple of days.

-dns

Ottosketch.com
    LOTR, Halo, Heroes Sketchcards from Topps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA. .. .. .break my arm AND burn my sketchbook, eh?... .i ll have to watch out next time we meet. as if breaking my arm isnt bad enough. . .but burning the sketchbook.. . youre ruthless..

great sketches, man. i especially like the second one. . the composition works very well. nothing left to say except: time to draw.

peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great new sketches, I like the high contrast, maybe a graff/stencil influence?
    Keep pumping the drum n bass :ep:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey hpx, great update. the page of the heads was great fun to look at. as far as the depth thing, i can truly see that what you said is true. it makes a lot of sense and doesnt sound like an excuse, even though sometimes the depth would throw me off, each design works, functions and flows together and shows that it was an intentional choice that you made in your drawing. i really love your stuff. keep updating.
    meta
    p.s. it was great meeting you in austin and looking through your sketches and watching you draw with rich was truly an inspiration

"Let it BURN"

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1