New piece

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New piece

Hey guys, been a while since i've been here. Would like some opinions on this landscape. it's sort of a desert cliff environment, sort of post apocalyptic flavor. id say its like half done maybe, needs more narrative elements, thoughts would be great.

Name:  ledge-newnew.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  171.5 KB

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi chris

Buddy I cannot imagine how this structure came into being naturally! so it has got to be man made yes!? and the city or town thing on the top is not really working for me personally it looks a bit lost on its own. Sorry about that mate, but I did have some ideas whilst looking at it if that helps.

So with the ideas mill on full in my mind try this on for a solution or direction, Sink it into a crater or canyon and run the bridges out into the walls or the rim like the spokes of a wheel. They can in some cases be structural and in others just walkways, the centre section can be a crashed ship or a recycled nightmare of bits and pieces to go with your post apocalyptic scenario.

hows that for a suggestion? That was the best I came up with on short notice, the other one I had was for an insect hive with humanoid slaves or workers on some of the bridges as reference devices to show size and scale.

I will go off and have another think on it matey and see what else I can come up with, all the very best with it matey.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks L ship. To be honest i just started playing with shapes. I'm not to keen on the man made idea as it kind of has a naturalistic feel about it (even if it makes sod all sense), i like the hive idea, i was kind of thinking that would be a good explanation, well good enough solution when i was reading through the first half of your crit; just after the part about it being preposterous for it to be a natural formation. lol. yeah man i agree that the city sucks hard, i'ts just a kinda place holder for something better, just trying to make my intentions clear-ish.

Thanks for the input pal, always considerate and useful. Take care!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More thoughts .....s o brace yourself

Hi Chris

Whilst looking at this thing again this morning, I must admit that the hive idea is starting to make some sense. Have a look at this:-

Name:  atta-hive-colonies.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  50.6 KB

I remembered it from a game that I used to play and love to death called "Tabula Rasa" and the hive above was one of the locations you went in do Kill stuff with super large caliber weapons of massive destruction!! LOL it it was epic.
    Any way that was one of the locations you could look at if you google image search "Tabula Rasa screenshots" the other thing I thought of was a volcanic environment where you get all kinds of bridges, slopes and weirdness which sort of fits.

I hope this helps you out some more matey stay well and keep posting.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Mr.Sanders

That landscape looks like its been shaped by wind or water erosion or maybe both

New piece

If you google images for 'wind erosion' you can find more examples that stranger shapes have happened naturally.

So with some more study I think it can look convincing.

To me the whole city and the landscape its on looks like something that got uncovered lifted up into the sky by some unknown force , like Cloud City in Star wars.

The Direction for finding a story are : why would someone build a city there? or is it the remains of something that now lay in ruin?
    Why are we looking at that city?

Last edited by LightandDark; August 4th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LightandDark For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.