Newbie help please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbie help please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbie help please

Hi all I'm a newbie illustrator in need of help.
    I just want to start off by saying I know very little about computers im pretty much old school hand drawn so really need help.
    I have just purchased a Citiq 22hd and now looking to buy a laptop to use along side it but not sure what to get.
    If possible I want to stay clear from buying a mac as I have had nothing but trouble with my old MacBook (which no longer works) so have decided to try a pc this time as they are more affordable. I will mainly be using photoshop and illustrator but the more I read on the net the more confused I am getting.
    I thought this would be the best place to ask as you are all artists.

Thanks
    Blake

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Get a desktop. It's cheaper and more suited to work with a 22HD cintiq. Not sure why you rushed to get the Cintiq before learning about computers though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    make sure you get a desktop with a DVI or a DisplayPort so you can hook your Cintiq to it correctly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry it was a typo I am in the process of buying a Citiq I haven't brought it yet.
    Thanks for your responses any idea what kind of spec I should look out for?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaketoons View Post
    I have just purchased a Citiq 22hd...
    Sorry it was a typo I am in the process of buying a Citiq I haven't brought it yet.
    Spell check should've got that.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't necessarily need the latest and greatest processor for illustration work but....

Now if you're just doing an upgrade get the best computer you can afford so you have to do less upgrades on it for at least 3 years. That gives you time to save up and get what you need.

Anything that is a quad core or higher is good. Even icore5 and above, the Phenom IIs (for AMD) and above.

Video Cards, ATI/Radeon has had issues reported in illustration programs so I'd say go with an Nvidia card. You want one that allows multiple display ports for more than one monitor. If you intend on playing the latest video games you want to do your research.

Hard Drives just depends on what you are focused on, but 500gb SATA drive is fine and then you can add in more later or switch to a Solid State if necessary for your OS.

RAM is a more important part of illustration for PCs so if you can get 8gbs that can upgrade to 16 for later down the line.

Windows 7 64 bit definitely if you're going for PC OS though you can use Unbuntu but most people don't have the patience for *ix operating systems.

Prebought PCs can have cheap components, but if you do your shopping right you can build your own. It's a bit more rewarding. I hadn't even owned a PC until I bought my own, I was previously on laptops and yes, I feel much better owning a desktop doing more finished works on them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    Spell check should've got that.
    It was about 1 in the morning when I typed that so forgive me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help I will have a look around. Everyone I have been speaking to says get a MacBook pro but think I will try a pc this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you build one, make sure it's intel based or you can't use anything above Adobe creative suite 4.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    If you build one, make sure it's intel based or you can't use anything above Adobe creative suite 4.
    Source please. I recall having CS5 run fine on my friend's PC.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how come

Thanks for the help I will have a look around. Everyone I have been speaking to says get a MacBook pro but think I will try a pc this time
    umm mbpros have some advantages (adobe packages really work trouble free, wacom driver support is better - mountain lion has some hiccups tho), you won't need to install anti-virus software that will partially eat your ram/cpu resources;
    they're more expensive though, and if you plan to mostly use it at home, you'll build a way better desktop machine within the same budget.

I don't know what kind of "nothing but trouble" issues you've had before, to be fair. macbooks have a noticeably cheaper build quality compared to mbpro/mb air, but they're fine laptops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    how come
    Adobe creative suite 5 and up needs an intel processor for a mac. I had to buy a whole new computer a year or so ago just to upgrade! I am a freelancer and my clients upgraded so I have to stay current. honked me off. I also have to stay up on quark xpress, which really bites. Hardly anyone uses that!

Arshes, your pc is already "intel inside". Macs were not until recently. I had a G5 tower. I had to buy a new G5 tower with intel to use cs5.
    This explains it:
    http://www.creativepro.com/article/a...ntel-macs-only

P

Last edited by philofmars; August 4th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adobe creative suite 5 and up needs an intel processor for a mac. I had to buy a whole new computer a year or so ago just to upgrade! I am a freelancer and my clients upgraded so I have to stay current. honked me off. I also have to stay up on quark xpress, which really bites. Hardly anyone uses that!

Arshes, your pc is already "intel inside". Macs were not until recently. I had a G5 tower. I had to buy a new G5 tower with intel to use cs5.
    This explains it:
    http://www.creativepro.com/article/a...ntel-macs-only

P
    Phil this makes no sense.

I said my roommate uses CS5 just fine. He is using an AMD processor. Not all PCs use Intel.

You should specify that Macs need to be intel based. But most people don't build Macs unless you mean Hackintosh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You should specify that Macs need to be intel based. But most people don't build Macs unless you mean Hackintosh
    yep you're right. sorry.
    odnarbssagib was talking about getting better video cards and you do add those to a mac.
    The OP specifically mentioned photoshop and I wanted to make sure they knew if you added a better card to a pre-intel mac, it still will not run cs5.

Last edited by philofmars; August 4th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.