Sketchbook: Jonathan L's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jonathan L's Sketchbook

Hey, everyone! My name is Jonathan, I'm 22 years old and I want to learn how to draw. I find drawing and art in general fascinating. CA is one of my favorite websites and online communities. The talent here is incredible and many of its users are friendly, and offer great advice. Just from lurking alone, I've learned much. One of the more important things I learned thus far is that drawing is actually something that can be learnt and not just some innate ability that few, gifted, individuals are born with. That was a major misconception I had and it stole away the hard work the artist puts into it. I'd also like to say that MindCandyMan's sketchbook has been a huge inspiration among other great work and devotion I see here.

I have no background in drawing, so I'm starting at the basics. I do have a Wacom tablet, but I plan to avoid digital until I've got this traditional stuff down. I've got some drawing books that will help me along the way, but I want the majority of my post to consist of still life drawings.

1. My supplies
    2. My books
    3. Self-portrait that looks nothing like me. My jaw isn't that squared and I don't resemble a lumberjack... unfortunately.

Sorry for the quality of the scan. I drew it lightly with my 2H. Anyway, I'm excited to be here and I'll post some more work tomorrow.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff I did earlier today:

1. Had a cup of tea earlier and decided to draw it.
    2. Some doodles from imagination. Constantly find myself drawing circles and triangles over and over again when I should be doing studies.
    3. Tried to copy a photo of myself from 2008 when I was 18 years old. I couldn't get the mouth right, so I just drew it without the smile.

I wish my drawings didn't scan in so damn light! I might slow down on the posts just so I can post some more quality work. I feel slightly embarrassed posting these with all the other great work that's here, but we've got to start somewhere, right?

Last edited by Jonathan L.; August 3rd, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to have a great atitude about art, and a lot of dedication! Just keep fighting, and there's no limit on how far you can go. I would really suggest that you get started on digital art as well tho, and don't just wait to get the traditional stuff down. Doing both will teach you some valuable stuff and compliment each other in the long run.

Your drawings look pretty good so far, my advice atm would be to just keep practicing! Do studies, read books and try to apply it to your stuff from imagination. Good luck to you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DennisH-Art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was going to refine this a bit more before I posted it, but I wanted to have something to share tonight. Just a quick speed painting I did; needs a lot of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for popping by my thread. You definitely have a good attitude to moving forward, and try and maintain that by all means of keeping yourself inspired, not just from CA, but from life.. Try and 're-see' the world around you and document and study this. You can truly learn a lot. The main thing is though.. just keep drawing/painting! I'm no pro, in my mind I've got a long way to go..

Here's a learning tip if you haven't tried it yet. Take a picture in photoshop and play with the saturation levels, this will identify how the values break up on your 'subject'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tangofanatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your encouragment on my SB, I really should stop whining and get working.

I would suggest you begin by drawing from reference images, because it is easier than drawing from life. To further simplify the task, you could start with copying line drawings, that's what I have been doing anyway and am still doing now. Learn to estimate angles and proportional relationships and try to reproduce the reference as faithful as possible, working from big shapes/relationships to the details of the image. Only when your drawings become fairly accurate I think it makes sense to move to values, colour and drawing from life. Of course that's just my two cents, but these things helped me to get startet. Have fun!

SKETCHBOOK

"Kunst kommt von Können, nicht von Wollen, sonst müßte es ja Wunst heißen" - Karl Valentin

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pauzel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm surprised my last post was four days ago; I could have sworn I posted the other day. Anyway, I've been drawing everyday since, but mainly just doodles. Work and going to the gym has really been consuming most of my time, but I want drawing to remain a priority.

Here's some Hogarth head studies. I have more pages, but they're not worth uploading. They look sketchy because I went over them a few times with my 2H to darken them up a bit.

Last edited by Jonathan L.; August 8th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While clean lines are nice, I think things like anatomy and shading are much more important. For a beginner, I would recommend getting the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, which will teach you more about how to effectively see your subject to draw it.

Nice work, though. Every time I see a beginner here posting their work I'm always jealous that I didn't find CA before deviantart way back when.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_chinchilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jonathan, thanks for stopping in my sketchbook, i see why you like the celtics pictures, your in boston!

Well I can second that you check out drawing on the right side of the brain, its a great book, and helped me out a bunch when I started taking art more seriously.

Another great book with good information is Alla Prima, everything I know about painting by richard schmid. If you can find it its a great information about principles of drawing and painting from life.

Best of luck with your studies,

Joe.

Also do you have adobe photoshop?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr-Joe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome man Always nice to see new starting sketchbook with a lot of enthusiasm.

Practice, practice, practice stay focused, give yourself all the time new goals, reach one - go for another

See ya !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Matija Vuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jonathan, yes im from cape cod, went to a few celtic games over the years, went with my boss once and his wife caught pierces head band, we were about 1 row behind the bench.

I asked about photoshop because you can adjust the darkness of your lines if your not happy with your scan.
    You can apply adjustment layers or just adjust the layer of the sketch with levels, curves, brightness/contrast. Play around with them to get the results your looking for. Just the auto adjust features sometimes do the trick, the more your play around with the tools in the program the more you can learn how to achieve the results your looking for.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr-Joe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Great start, arts hard, but just keep working at it dude! Keep on going, never stop!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man welcome to CA. Bring on the studies man!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Jonathan, welcome to CA! Good start, keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. Keep at it! Observe, practice & above all be passionate, just as you already are!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a long time since I've posted anything. I'm still alive. Here's some semi-recent work:

Unfinished charcoal portrait of the Joker. Sorry for the poor quality.

Name:  joker-wip.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  70.9 KB

Cartoon female portrait. No reference. Made in Corel Painter. I really enjoy this style.

Name:  girl-update.png
Views: 65
Size:  36.0 KB

Alas, I should get back to doing studies. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh a starter well thank good i feel like i may be able to help someone *jaii*
    For the start this looks good so far.
    I believe practising the basic rules of human anatomy is the best way to go right now-
    My advice don't get stuck on detailed drawings right now they can easily depress you.(ore at least that's how i work xD)
    My mom often gave me ball point pens to draw so i would not be abel to erase the wrong drawings - i have come to believe that that is a good way to learn.
    Do quick sketches without erasers and stick to the basic rules its totally ok to draw instead of one detailed Face in 60 minutes do 6 ore more quick sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

So here are my observations: Your largest problem right now is eying the angles. As someone with ADHD I have the same problem, mostly because I end up looking at the whole image instead of the individual parts. I suggest taking your pen or finger and using it to figure out the exact angle, moving it to the paper, then doing a quick, light line. You wouldn't believe how much difference 1 millimeter makes in how a face (Or other things) looks.
    Another thing I suffer with is lacking high contrast in my images. I'm fine with it though, as I like to have a "subtle" look, however I have had to create more contrast than what I used to have. You have a similar problem. Yes, in the image with the cap, said cap is pitch black while the rest of the face is pale. But I'm talking about the actual shadows and highlights. You either need to darken your shadows without darkening your highlights, OR you need to get the linework next to perfect. Which, lets face it, is freaking difficult to do.

Last thing, and this is more a personal thing than a "general tip", I find making the lines that you're using to shade with follow the general shape of the face helps to give shape "form". If you've ever seen a 3D image being made, you'll see those weird lines running around it that the artist drags to shape the object. So, basically, draw those lines, but with more density where the image is darker. And, obviously, draw a lot more of them than you'd see on a 3D image.

Hope I could help somewhat. Please feel free to disregard anything or everything I say, as I am still a beginner, these are just my observations.

I realize my profile picture sucks. I will put on a better one when I make/get given a better one. I don't want to use a Google profile pic.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=273342 <---- My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jonathan,
    it's great to see you getting started with drawing. As you haven't posted that much yet here are a few pointers
    Try to update often, this will force you to draw daily and help strengthen your online presence. People like to see how one constantly evolves and challenges himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimino394 View Post
    Hey there!
    I end up looking at the whole image instead of the individual parts.
    In regards to this, I advise you to look at the big picture first, before jumping into smaller details. You start with the biggest relationships, and work in from there. Look at the latest Proko video on his youtube about figure drawing and measuring techniques (google proko youtube)
    Also think of basic shapes, and how to simplify the human form. Try and get your hands on Michael Hampton's book as well as vilppu and Loomis.

Other than that I really like the cartoony portrait you did, how you used different like thicknesses and how the proportions are much improved from before

Members who have read this thread: 1