Need advice to improve

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need advice to improve

Hi!
    I feel kind of stuck with my art. I don't really know how to take the next step now to get better.
    I'm used to drawing what I see, and I belive it's a problem, since most people here talk about a deep understanding of the form and light, perspective etc...
    So I wonder, what is a good way to improve in those aspects?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read this.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Van Douglas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't just draw what you see. Study what you are looking at then draw it. Imaginative illustrations stems from this.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I kind of have the same question. I was just thinking of starting a topic asking this. I see people post saying to study what you're drawing instead of just drawing it, but how? I just can't seem to get past that part.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to be the same. I just drew what I saw. I've been drawing but I only started to understand the form and light and perspective stuff after I started studying in landscape architecture school, and after browsing through many many tutorials here on Conceptart and other sites. But the final breakthrough for me was drawing from life, simple as that.

What I'd suggest is take one object. Just one. Pick something close to a basic shape, preferrably white. Or something you can paint white. Or heck, anything you want. Take that object with you, and look at it in the dark. Turn on a light you can move, like a flashlight, and light it from different directions. See what changes in the way the object looks. Realise nothing has changed except the direction of light. Hold the light still, and you yourself move around the object. Find the top view, the side view, all the different angles and observe how the lit area looks in different perspectives. Realise, that the light and the object has stayed the same, only the perspective has changed. Then take the object with you everywhere you go. Look at it outside, in the sunlight, at morning, noon and evening and look how the sunlight differs from a flashlight. Look how the direction of the sun affects the way your object is lit. And so on and so on and so on.

Realise, that there are rules why it looks the way it does. Perspective and light are predictable. Find the rules. Practise. Find more rules. Realise you were wrong about some things. Practise more. Learn more.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Great Distance For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.