Perspective and Light Critique (sketch)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Perspective and Light Critique (sketch)

My main concern here is that the bird's-eye view perspective I'm trying to achieve might not work. The background - which is rather rough, sorry - is supposed to be a forest with some mountains, but I'm not sure if the perspective works for that, either.

The sun is supposed to be not quite directly above the big tree, to the right. Any way I can improve on how the shadows fall?

Thank you in advance! (:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Considering the tree and character, I'd say your horizon should be higher. Also remember that the branches and leaves that are above the pic borders will also create shadows.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus I haven't been on this site in far too long. Anyway, I thought about what TinyBird said and if her shin is supposed to be already resting on the tree branch (can't tell for sure right now) then yeah, I agree that the horizon should probably be higher.

I still think you should take some reference photos for this - get someone to pose on the floor/prop themselves up against the bed for you or something. Ren's right arm looks very awkward in particular.

Shadows - I have no idea, but you could try breaking the forms down into blocks. Maybe set up a model?

Good luck, keep us posted. I feel much more comfortable giving feedback here than on that other site.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Changed shadows to take account for leaves. I'm not sure if the shadow is big enough, but I don't want to cover the character completely.
    - Adjusted character's pose a little. Perspective makes it hard. I'm wondering if she should be leaning forward more?
    - Moved horizon up. Is this better?
    - Changed tree a little so it fits better with perspective (I hope). Also made canvas bigger because I think being able to see more of the leaves on the big tree looks nicer.

Any suggestions? (:

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The leaf-shadow is nice, dappled light on the character could be a lot of fun (or not, haha) to paint later on.
    Moved horizon up. Is this better?
    Yes.

I still think her right arm looks weird. It doesn't seem to be bearing enough weight.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.