Breaking Gender Roles - Page 6

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 192
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    " Are there any authors that you like who maybe aren't well known? "

    Kilgore Trout.

    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:


  4. #152
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    So I saw this, and thought of this thread. I hope it hasn't been mentioned, and I apologized if it has, I haven't really been reading.

    Sarah Robles is an Olympic weight lifting athlete, and she weighs over 130 lbs. Definitely a different body type from what most super heroes are, but I think she could kick some ass as a super hero.



    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

    "The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #153
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks
    891
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Ya know I'd actually be curious on a statistic that shows the number of writers with the same gender as their main character. Just a curiosity since it's probably easier to get into the mind of the same gender. There's plenty that do break that mold, hell the writers of Avatar the Last Airbender series just cast a pretty mold breaking main character. With their most recent series obviously.

    But that may be a thought to explain some of it. Since a comic unlike a book is rather hard to pull off alone. With a book you can write by yourself, everything can be done by you with out the need for multiple skill sets. Some crazy action scene or grand setting you can just write it to life not draw it all. To do a comic though, not only do you have to do pretty pictures and have all the knowledge that entails, you have to make the pretty pictures a narrative, then be able to tell a story and all the skills that come with writing. It's not an easy thing to learn. That's why usually you have full staffs of people working on it. Even in eastern comics like Manga's you have a few staff helpers. But with plenty of examples on how it's a pretty male dominated industry means it's probably just not easy to get the resources and people together and have someone publish it.


    But actually that makes me think a bit..... since Manga's tend to break character and gender roles in many comics. You can find any kind of story with all sorts of characters. Though sure there's plenty of perverted shit in japan but there's actually a lot that aren't and that makes me wonder if it's because the production is easier. Manga's are produced weekly by a staff of just a few people and often the artist is the author. There's tons of One Shots where publishers are in the mindset of "Hey we'll throw it out there in a weekly jump or something and see how it does".

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,697
    Thanks
    2,668
    Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Herring View Post
    As for science fiction or fantasy masterwork - I'm certainly open to suggestions (and honestly, as long is it's a good story that's fine too. I COULD TOTALLY USE MORE BOOKS.) Are there any authors that you like who maybe aren't well known?
    Read the first 20 Hugo winners for best novel if you haven't already, there are some great books in that list.

    My favorites are, in no particular order

    Demolished Man Alfred Bester

    A case of Conscience James Blish

    Dorsai Gordon Dickson

    Canticle For Liebowitz Walter Miller

    Way Station Clifford Simak

    Witch World Andre Norton

    Man in the High Castle Phillip Dick

    Sword of Aldones Marion Zimmer Bradley

    Lord of Light Roger Zelazny

    Stand on Zanzibar John Brunner

    Jack of Shadows Roger Zelazny

    The left Hand of Darkness Ursela Le Guin

    The Lathe of Heaven Ursela Le Guin

    If I had to only pick a few; these stand out from a list of award winners

    A Case of Conscience
    Demolished man
    Left Hand of Darkness
    Man in the High Castle

    Last edited by dpaint; August 4th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  8. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 497 Times in 270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Read the first 20 Hugo winners for best novel if you haven't already, there are some great books in that list.

    My favorites are, in no particular order

    Demolished Man Alfred Bester

    A case of Conscience James Blish

    Dorsai Gordon Dickson

    Canticle For Liebowitz Walter Miller

    Way Station Clifford Simak

    Witch World Andre Norton

    Man in the High Castle Phillip Dick

    Sword of Aldones Marion Zimmer Bradley

    Lord of Light Roger Zelazny

    Stand on Zanzibar John Brunner

    Jack of Shadows Roger Zelazny

    The left Hand of Darkness Ursela Le Guin

    The Lathe of Heaven Ursela Le Guin

    If I had to only pick a few; these stand out from a list of award winners

    A Case of Conscience
    Demolished man
    Left Hand of Darkness
    Man in the High Castle
    ....how have I not read these books? The ones I looked up sound amazing! Thanks D! (I'd even completely forgotten about Blish - and one of my favorite books as a kid was Cities in Flight!)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:


  10. #156
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    But actually that makes me think a bit..... since Manga's tend to break character and gender roles in many comics. You can find any kind of story with all sorts of characters. Though sure there's plenty of perverted shit in japan but there's actually a lot that aren't and that makes me wonder if it's because the production is easier. Manga's are produced weekly by a staff of just a few people and often the artist is the author. There's tons of One Shots where publishers are in the mindset of "Hey we'll throw it out there in a weekly jump or something and see how it does".
    Although manga is not without its cliches and stereotypes as well. Manga are obviously comics. The difference is, Manga tends to tell stories (which means even if they run for years) which means they'll have a start to finish. US superhero comics tend to be a series/serial.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #157
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fallingwater
    Posts
    5,074
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked 5,157 Times in 1,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "a terrible indictment of our civilizational common sense. "

    I know you don't believe climate change is real kev, or the models dont come up to your exacting specifications, or whatever
    First of all... do not, please please please, do not paraphrase me unless you are absolutely sure you have understood what I wrote originally and remembered it correctly. I was just starting to like you again.

    Secondly, I am 100% behind decarbonization. The question is, how best to do it. I believe in disruptive technologies. I don't believe in politicians, or carbon trading schemes, protocols nobody will follow, or panicking.

    Thirdly, how the earth deals with CO2, sinks, outgassing, feedbacks, whether CO2 lags or leads long term temperature trends and so much more is simply not well understood, despite what pop scare-science/activist agit-shock articles say.

    This was an inappropriate thread to bring any of this up.

    At least Icarus tried!


    My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

    My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #158
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,778
    Thanks
    2,379
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    I'm fairly certainly Pride and Prejudice is NOT an adventure story. I actually don't like Jane Austen, but thanks for the recommendation. As for science fiction or fantasy masterwork - I'm certainly open to suggestions (and honestly, as long is it's a good story that's fine too. I COULD TOTALLY USE MORE BOOKS.) Are there any authors that you like who maybe aren't well known?
    Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson has a female lead that I think would fit with your description. It's a pretty good series too.

    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:


  14. #159
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    2,364
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Herring View Post

    * * * Either way, there were some interesting thoughts in the book. (Not sure I agree with all of them, but still interesting.)


    Well, there you go! Not being sure of agreeing with Gladwell is a very good thing. It's a symptom of critical thinking about to occur-- always a good thing when you run across commenters of his ilk.

    [He's to the social sciences what Betty Edwards is to neuroscience. . .]

    http://malcolmgladwellbookgenerator.com/



    Last edited by Kamber Parrk; August 5th, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #160
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gastonia, N.C.
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_chinchilla View Post
    So I saw this, and thought of this thread. I hope it hasn't been mentioned, and I apologized if it has, I haven't really been reading.

    Sarah Robles is an Olympic weight lifting athlete, and she weighs over 130 lbs. Definitely a different body type from what most super heroes are, but I think she could kick some ass as a super hero.

    It's possible. It would come down to training really. The thing is she might look different if she trains to kick ass. It would depend a lot on what she was going for. It's one of those things that we could never really know but could argue about it all day long.

    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

    Sketchgroup

    One Sketch

    .empyrean's. sketchbook

    DanTang's sketchbook

    Dmotym's sketchbook

    Nigh7shad3's sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #161
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 355 Times in 275 Posts
    Both the girl in the above picture, along with the boxer? a couple pages ago, and those polo players several pages back could easily kick arse, if they were that way inclined. They're bulky yes, but not fat or unhealthy. They've clearly trained hard to get to the stage they're at in their sport, and it's easy to tell the difference between health and flab.

    But thats not really what I came in here to say. Just wanted to get that bit out of the way because of the above post triggering the thought in my mind.

    What I really wanted to say as a female is, men like looking at women's tits and I like looking at men's torsos and arses. Preferably naked but... well, I'll take what I can get.

    I also havent read that many comics so I probably don't get the dissatisfaction with impossibly girly girl heroines that I should. My comic book style reading to date consists of one 2000AD, Watchmen, Button Man and The Killing Joke. I've read a few webcomic bits and pieces too but nothing in the superhero genre. And to be honest, if I come across artwork or storylines that portray females in a subordinate or weakling light, it doesn't make me want to rage against the comic machine or change the world, it just makes me snort a little at the idiocy of the folks who produced it. No offense to anyone who produces that kind of thing by the way, heh.

    Also, I think a lot of the stereotypes that pigeonhole both men and women are only concrete because we as a society make them that way. If people don't like how their gender is being portrayed, then behave differently and buck the trend. Whats that saying, be the change you want to see in the world? I know I've never seen myself as a girly girl - I don't go loopy over shoes or shopping and am much happier holding a chainsaw or axe than a handbag. I work out and try to live and eat healthy, not because I want to look good but because I want to be strong enough to handle whatever life throws at me. So I don't behave at odds with how I perceive myself, and to be honest when I see women complaining about how poorly they're portrayed in the media or anywhere else, as sex symbols or objects of the male gaze etc, while at the same time wearing make-up, short skirts and high heels to enhance their physical appearance, it just makes me cringe because it's a double standard.

    Anyway, that was all probably unnecessary rambling on my part but I felt the need to say it. No offense intened to anyone, male or female, by it, just adding my two bob's worth to the pot.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #162
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Read the first 20 Hugo winners for best novel if you haven't already, there are some great books in that list.

    My favorites are, in no particular order

    Demolished Man Alfred Bester

    A case of Conscience James Blish

    Dorsai Gordon Dickson

    Canticle For Liebowitz Walter Miller

    Way Station Clifford Simak

    Witch World Andre Norton

    Man in the High Castle Phillip Dick

    Sword of Aldones Marion Zimmer Bradley

    Lord of Light Roger Zelazny

    Stand on Zanzibar John Brunner

    Jack of Shadows Roger Zelazny

    The left Hand of Darkness Ursela Le Guin

    The Lathe of Heaven Ursela Le Guin

    If I had to only pick a few; these stand out from a list of award winners

    A Case of Conscience
    Demolished man
    Left Hand of Darkness
    Man in the High Castle

    Theyre all excellent but I would choose the Lathe of Heaven and Lord of Light for sheer suckerpunch awesomeness. Theres a really decent TV movie from the 70s of Lathe of Heaven I like a lot too. Its on Youtube.

    And A Canticle for Liebowitz is one of the most impressive books Ive read of any genre.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Fict.../2RD0U28BH3K5V

    Oh BTW Alice, in a serious answer to your question: " Are there any authors that you like who maybe aren't well known? " Cordwainer Smith. Best ever.

    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 5th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:


  19. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cambridge UK
    Posts
    5,460
    Thanks
    6,454
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    First of all... do not, please please please, do not paraphrase me unless you are absolutely sure you have understood what I wrote originally and remembered it correctly. I was just starting to like you again.

    Secondly, I am 100% behind decarbonization. The question is, how best to do it. I believe in disruptive technologies. I don't believe in politicians, or carbon trading schemes, protocols nobody will follow, or panicking.

    Thirdly, how the earth deals with CO2, sinks, outgassing, feedbacks, whether CO2 lags or leads long term temperature trends and so much more is simply not well understood, despite what pop scare-science/activist agit-shock articles say.

    This was an inappropriate thread to bring any of this up.
    Fair enough.

    These guys are pretty big but fight pretty good




    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 6th, 2012 at 01:17 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    skype: velocitykendall
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,778
    Thanks
    2,379
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Both the girl in the above picture, along with the boxer? a couple pages ago, and those polo players several pages back could easily kick arse, if they were that way inclined. They're bulky yes, but not fat or unhealthy. They've clearly trained hard to get to the stage they're at in their sport, and it's easy to tell the difference between health and flab.
    Well. She might be good at pulling punches or causing general mayhem (if we're talking from a superhero perspective) but having a lot of bulk doesn't make you very flexble. If she was a superhero I'd think she'd be the slow but powerful type...

    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Well. She might be good at pulling punches or causing general mayhem (if we're talking from a superhero perspective) but having a lot of bulk doesn't make you very flexble. If she was a superhero I'd think she'd be the slow but powerful type...
    She's not bulky though...not really. That's like saying Bruce Lee is bulky

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gastonia, N.C.
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Well. She might be good at pulling punches or causing general mayhem (if we're talking from a superhero perspective) but having a lot of bulk doesn't make you very flexble. If she was a superhero I'd think she'd be the slow but powerful type...
    I'd be worried about her gassing quickly. All that extra weight typical leads to no gas in the tank, whether its muscle or fat. Also you really need speed and flexibility. Power is great but if your opponent out maneuvers you and picks you apart all that power will be worthless.

    Also I think its a bit sad that we've been reduced to argue over fat and muscle, which is right which is wrong when there are bigger problems in the comic industry. Like how the storylines never seem to move forward and Marvel has the huge obsession of just reproducing the same thing over and over again. Cap dies, then cap comes game. Spiderman reveals his true identity, then some deity erases everyone's mind. Jean dies and everyone rejoices, now their trying to bring in a new Jean. Eff you Marvel you're not going to distract me with boobs, I see your terrible writing.

    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

    Sketchgroup

    One Sketch

    .empyrean's. sketchbook

    DanTang's sketchbook

    Dmotym's sketchbook

    Nigh7shad3's sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,339
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 355 Times in 275 Posts
    That'll be because I was talking about those girls in reality, not how they'd perform in the pages of a comic.

    I'm not a fan so I'll leave the sad nitpicking about bulk versus wind to the comic geeks.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    Also I think its a bit sad that we've been reduced to argue over fat and muscle, which is right which is wrong when there are bigger problems in the comic industry. Like how the storylines never seem to move forward and Marvel has the huge obsession of just reproducing the same thing over and over again. Cap dies, then cap comes game. Spiderman reveals his true identity, then some deity erases everyone's mind. Jean dies and everyone rejoices, now their trying to bring in a new Jean. Eff you Marvel you're not going to distract me with boobs, I see your terrible writing.
    I don't like characters dying and coming back over and over again either, but one could make an argument of it befitting a character like Jean Grey.

    And it's very silly singling Marvel out for your rant, Dc (among others) is equally as guilty of rebooting, retconning, and sexually exploiting their franchises. Especially considering we're about a year in with a massive reboot of all their titles.

    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
    Honestly half of the comic book super-heroines look like they have silicon boobs which is the opposite of attractive for me. I also think that feminine women with a full figure can be very attractive.

    Then again you also have male depictions in comics that are also equally idealized with some sort of god-like muscular physic, good looks and almost hairless body.
    The only Superhero that breaks that stereotype AFAIK is Wolverine with his hairy arms and less than ideal looks (before he was Hue-Jackmaned that is) and people still like him.

    So if you like to break all the stereotypes and create a super-heroine that defy the predictable stereotypes go for it (like Brawne Lamia in Hyperion, and Hyperion did very well for a science-fiction novel).

    For the rest I think there are not enough female feminists that are into making comic books and care enough to make their hot female protagonists slightly overweight or stocky.

    I think its a discussion about nothing because really its something no one really cares to change much.
    You could say its like feminists calling to males to give them control while in reality most of them probably wouldn't be interested in dating someone submissive who did not at least offer to pay for them in the end.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    Then again you also have male depictions in comics that are also equally idealized with some sort of god-like muscular physic, good looks and almost hairless body.
    The only Superhero that breaks that stereotype AFAIK is Wolverine with his hairy arms and less than ideal looks (before he was Hue-Jackmaned that is) and people still like him.
    Sasquatch, Puck, and Beast are all very hairy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    For the rest I think there are not enough female feminists that are into making comic books and care enough to make their hot female protagonists slightly overweight or stocky.
    I present to you.... BIG BERTHA!



    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    Sasquatch, Puck, and Beast are all very hairy.
    Heh but most of them represent an edgy unique minority and are mostly condemned for these traits as weakness.

    Wolverine's weakness is his bad temper and sordid past.

    And Bertha: we are not talking about one dimensional characters who can only be described as very obese (female counterpart of the blob from x-men) + Big Bertha's natural form is that of a skinny supermodel called Ashley Crawford so again its not really an example.
    Obesity is unhealthy on either male or female(can cause various physical problems) and it falls under a different category than just being fat.

    Last edited by LightandDark; August 5th, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #172
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well there is Granny Goodness and Big Barda.

    Big Barda was intentionally made to counter a stereotype comics.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gastonia, N.C.
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    I don't like characters dying and coming back over and over again either, but one could make an argument of it befitting a character like Jean Grey.

    And it's very silly singling Marvel out for your rant, Dc (among others) is equally as guilty of rebooting, retconning, and sexually exploiting their franchises. Especially considering we're about a year in with a massive reboot of all their titles.
    I never liked Jean. I'll never like Jean. I think she is a very boring character and was very happy when they killed her off. But that is my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.

    I don't keep up with DC. That's why I singled out Marvel. And honestly dude we can branch out of comics into other media that do the exact same thing. I just ragged on Marvel alone because that's what I know. And I don't hate Marvel or anything like that. I'm just ragging on them.

    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

    Sketchgroup

    One Sketch

    .empyrean's. sketchbook

    DanTang's sketchbook

    Dmotym's sketchbook

    Nigh7shad3's sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #174
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    I never liked Jean. I'll never like Jean. I think she is a very boring character and was very happy when they killed her off. But that is my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.
    Jean Grey was a tool to further the male personalities in the comic. The only time she was interesting was the Phoenix Saga.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #175
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    And Bertha: we are not talking about one dimensional characters who can only be described as very obese (female counterpart of the blob from x-men) + Big Bertha's natural form is that of a skinny supermodel called Ashley Crawford so again its not really an example.
    Obesity is unhealthy on either male or female(can cause various physical problems) and it falls under a different category than just being fat.
    I'm actually a bit surprised she even exists and there isn't more of an uproar about her. I mean, she's just so crass as a character. It's like a pretty bad, offensive joke. Probably too much of a niche hero for people to care.



    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    I never liked Jean. I'll never like Jean. I think she is a very boring character and was very happy when they killed her off. But that is my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.
    Grant Morrison actually tried to change things a bit by killing off Jean and making Cyclops and Emma a steady couple. And it lasted a good awhile, for about 10+ years. But they're rebooting it again with the Marvel Now event! Quite ironic since one of his main points in New X-men was trying to forward and leave the past (Jean) behind.


    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    I don't keep up with DC. That's why I singled out Marvel. And honestly dude we can branch out of comics into other media that do the exact same thing. I just ragged on Marvel alone because that's what I know. And I don't hate Marvel or anything like that. I'm just ragging on them.
    Allrighty then, if it's all the same to you.

    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    I'm actually a bit surprised she even exists and there isn't more of an uproar about her. I mean, she's just so crass as a character. It's like a pretty bad, offensive joke. Probably too much of a niche hero for people to care.
    http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c.../bertha/01.jpg



    http://cobblerkhan.blogspot.com/2009...this-dojo.html

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  33. #177
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kansas city, MO
    Posts
    1,167
    Thanks
    1,423
    Thanked 867 Times in 333 Posts
    Be careful in equating size to fight ability.


    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

    Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

    Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

    "Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:


  35. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Religion, gender ideals, politics, we are really touching on some sensitive topics here. Pretty sure we all need a lot more beer in order to effectively discuss such hard hitting issues.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  36. #179
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,171
    Thanks
    2,297
    Thanked 917 Times in 819 Posts
    I was going to say something really thoughtful then I saw the tags.

    Have none of you stopped to realise there is some stranger asking for help down there?
    They've probably died from a bowel obstruction by now.
    We could have saved a life here, guys.


    But really, the only thing that gets me in comics is when I see galls with MASSIVE tits jumping around with no support up there. Let me tell you, that'd hurt so bad you'd be keeling over before anyone even had a chance to hit you.

    Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

    Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:


  38. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 497 Times in 270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    For the rest I think there are not enough female feminists that are into making comic books and care enough to make their hot female protagonists slightly overweight or stocky.

    I think its a discussion about nothing because really its something no one really cares to change much.
    You could say its like feminists calling to males to give them control while in reality most of them probably wouldn't be interested in dating someone submissive who did not at least offer to pay for them in the end.
    *facepalm*

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:


Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •