Thread: Breaking Gender Roles

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Alright. In the spirit of disclosure as a moderator, I will admit, I am
    actually one of those men.
    You sicken me
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Nah, that's fine. (unperiod) People are people. You should relax about it. Just call the guys dorks, animals, or pigs. And move on.

If you police the words, you don't eradicate the thought. (See Orwell, USSR.)
    One comment is easy to relax about, but the problem is it's almost never just one comment but a pattern of behavior. (Bullying is a pretty good example of this.) While yeah, people will think what they think - there's nothing wrong with expecting a little courtesy and respect either.

Also, tags. heh heh heh. Really? "Control Men Now"?
    Last edited by Alice Herring; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: stupid grammar.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well since so many insist they can't control themselves...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    This is a bit of tangent, but there are such things as etiquette, common decency, and respect.

It's really annoying when people try to defend they way others express themselves by pretending that criticizing behavior is the same as trying to control their emotions. It's not the drive that's being criticized. NO ONE's saying it's wrong to be attracted to women. It's the way people choose to EXPRESS it that's being criticized.

Good god, I hate the "I'm a man, I can't help it." cop out of an excuse.
    How 'bout that!

The issue is not that people are going to be dicks. The issue is learning to accept that fact because the only way to do something about is to try to legislate/control by law your local environment according to your personal sensitivities. Which is a worse crime. Because who says your sensitivities are all that important? Being offended is okay. It is not your right to be free from offense.

When it gets physical or interferes with work, that's a different matter.

Arshes, I'm not sure I understood your last point.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    And people with genuine positive characteristics (talanted, funny, excellent at some task or skill) are often seen as attractive.
    It's true. Once we get past the extreme outliers I can't tell who's "good looking" and who isn't, so my decisions about attractiveness are largely based on whether the person is clever, funny, smells okay and is wearing a bicycle helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara
    And wanting to control other people's behavior is a sign that you belong in management.
    Fixed.

But seriously, you have to manage what happens at the office because it sets the culture of the workplace. The culture affects what kind of workers you attract. This is what good managers do. They herd workers so they do work, not wander around spreading discord and fucking the team up so nothing gets done.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    you have to manage what happens at the office because it sets the culture of the workplace. The culture affects what kind of workers you attract. This is what good managers do. They herd workers so they do work, not wander around spreading discord and fucking the team up so nothing gets done.
    Staffing smartly in the first place is an essential issue. And yes, a good manager will cleverly find ways to avoid issues. But I've worked in agencies where there were people who were so thin skinned, reactive, and so demanding of control of all things they found emotionally distressing in the local environment... that they were fired for the sake of the workplace.
    Last edited by kev ferrara; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    People instinctively attribute positive characteristics to attractive people.
    Actually, I think there are a massive amount of people who instinctively hate attractive people and assign them negative characteristics (and even whole life stories) before ever talking to them.
    At least Icarus tried!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    How 'bout that!

Arshes, I'm not sure I understood your last point.
    Pointing out the irony of "men who can't control themselves" and what Psychotime later talked about.

I dunno kev, maybe I just want the bullshit excuses for guys who think it's ok to act like manchildren to stop.

It doesn't take much hesitation if someone said something racist in the workplace, so I don't see why the handwringing over something sexist.

Maybe I'd like to see equality and not shitty mindsets...and excuses for it like somehow one can't honestly control themselves. Really is it 4th grade?

And that goes for mindsets about men and their position too. I supported a guy who was not a boyfriend/so, not a relative because he needed help.

Maybe I don't want to have to constantly fend off bullshit that because he's male and not with a job at the time and being supported by a female that "he's a loser"

No, I'm not an idiot and it doesn't stop people from saying things...but really?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Actually, I think there are a massive amount of people who instinctively hate attractive people and assign them negative characteristics (and even whole life stories) before ever talking to them.
    I knew there was a reason why I don't have any friends.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    people who were so thin skinned, reactive, and so demanding of control of all things they found emotionally distressing in the local environment... that they were fired for the sake of the workplace.
    hey we're called freelancers and we have names OK?
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,099 Times in 2,486 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    I knew there was a reason why I don't have any friends.
    But Bill, we'll always have SSI together.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Prehistoric men tended to choose women with larger pelvis, it helped childbirth. To answer that, women developed larger rear region, more fat deposits, so everyone looked the same, women with larger pelvis and women without it. Nice little anecdote.
    Beauty ideal way back was different, as i recall fat chicks were considered beautiful. But the reason was that food was scarce. If you had enough food that you got fat, it meant that somehow with your skills, or your biology you were above others. And thus you were a better mate.
    Being fat today shows nothing, food is abundant. If anything it shows being unhealty or poor selfcontrol. Im kinda fat too, but not proud of it, plus d00ds cant be fat right?
    IMHO body image is created by society, but its the biology that ultimately drives that. And its pointless to go against biology, you cant beat it no matter how noble the goal. Oh and you can tell the difference in a fat or strong chick in real life. I dont know what the visual cues are, but there is a difference.

Thanks
    I hope this revolution doesn't ruin Power Girl. She would have nothing left to offer the nerd community.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast