Breaking Gender Roles - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Yeah, because people who look like this and don't compete professionally are so attractive with their heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, arthritis and sleep apnea all before their 40. Since over one third of America is obese lets make all the media reflect that, so fat, unhealthy people can feel good about being that way. Its so American.
    Er...dpaint, which post are you responding to? If it's the water polo player there are gonna be WORDS...

Anyway, in general:

Being obese is a problem; but so is the shaming and bulling that goes on. Representing a woman who is a size 6 as a "plus sized" model is frankly ridiculous. The average model is 5'11; at that height the recommended range is 135-156. The average weight of the models? 117.

(I'd also like to see women's jeans sold in waist/length measurement like men's jeans, rather than numbers - but that's an entirely different argument.)

While I don't want to advocate for bad habits, I don't think that means we as consumers can't push for diversity - in race, gender, and body-type.

Last edited by Alice Herring; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: wow. grammar fail.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    Batwoman doesn't seem consistent with her style. Am I wrong to think there might have been some heavy referencing going on? I feel like something's missing from this story. It doesn't seem right that she would present this and the first thing out of a professional's mouth was "She's fat, go away until you're drawing exactly like the rest of us".
    You know what bugs me?

It looks like she's not wearing a bra.

WHY WOULDN'T SHE BE WEARING A BRA?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, because people who look like this and don't compete professionally are so attractive with their heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, arthritis and sleep apnea all before their 40. Since over one third of America is obese lets make all the media reflect that, so fat, unhealthy people can feel good about being that way. Its so American.
    Says the fat man with cheetoh colored fingers

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I (generally) like eschergirls, and the underlying issues it raises are legitimate and important. However, that post with the Batwoman pic really raised my hackles, since the drawing has a TON of problems, many of which are legitimately, if not diplomatically, addressed in her report of the crit she got. I know it's impossible, but I'd really like to know exactly what that editor said, and how accurate her telling of it is. He may well have been as big a jerk as he comes off as, but, on the other hand, she may have heard more than what was actually said. As someone who makes part of their living from critiquing student work, I know how common that is. Sexism, objectification, and body image are real issues in comics and fan culture, but they're not excuses for bad drawing.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blam! Proof you can be pretty and an ass kicker.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Sketchgroup

One Sketch

.empyrean's. sketchbook

DanTang's sketchbook

Dmotym's sketchbook

Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would just like to mention there are a lot of different kinds of "fat". What appears to be just fat at first glance does not mean that it doesn't come with muscle, or that the person is unhealthy.

Breaking Gender Roles

Last edited by crossmirage; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:14 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I like fat chicks.

Last edited by manlybrian; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    Blam! Proof you can be pretty and an ass kicker.
    No one said that beautiful women couldn't exist with a build. People are saying not all of them need to look like lingerie models and diversity would be appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For a non stereotypical vision of women (in the pin-up world at least) I suggest looking at the work of Les Toil.

Les's work is humorous and inclusive!

Breaking Gender Roles

Breaking Gender Roles

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mitch Byrd is worth looking up as well then. Fantastic artist, but a lot of his stuff
    is NSFW.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Says the fat man with cheetoh colored fingers
    6' 7" and 215 lbs at 57 years old. Who you calling fat?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me it becomes incredibly annoying when you look through most artist's portfolios and only see goddamned sexy girls that don't even fit within the context they're given. So we have this warrior girl from the north who was battle hardened over 20 years of training in the snowy wilderness? LETS GIVE HER A METAL BIKINI AND HAVE HER BOOBS SHOWING ALMOST ENTIRELY as she fights in the icey snow! GENIUS.

It goes beyond sexism for me, too -- although that is a part of it. It becomes boring and generic when its the primary thing you see on a daily basis when looking at character designs. It literally dulls my mind when I look over an artists portfolio and see sexy bikini warriors almost every day. Get a more original idea (even if originality is hard to come by these days), rather than trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator of an audience. Entertainment should be about appealing to a large array of emotions and ideas -- rather than to one's genitals.

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; August 2nd, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    6' 7" and 215 lbs at 57 years old. Who you calling fat?
    I am!

Seriously though.

One of the observations I noticed is a lot of guys complaining about girls being fat, not being in the best shape themselves. Often times one of the heartbreaking things I've seen is ugly nerds commenting on a girl's physique just to point of berating her for having a bit of a tummy bulge which a bulge is natural.

I don't think there should be books chock full of fat superheroes, but it wouldn't be surprising if there was one that was overweight or of different physiques.

Amanda Waller isn't a hero but a villain, big black lady. I never went. "fuck she's fat, can't do anything" but they made her an interesting character. Kingpin is a big fatty, a male and it works.

But I think it was argued before the sameness of superhero women (not to mention the impossible poses at times) is not cool. Although I'm talking about 3 villain/heroes here's an example of how I'd view each character.

Harley Quinn - I kinda view with a gymnast body and not necessarily Chesty LaRue I kinda think she's more thin build with some athleticism ...but on the other hand...

Poison Ivy - I kinda think of a Rubenesque. To me Poison Ivy is probably part plant with Photosynthesis and a meat eater I can see her on the more plump side, but not necessarily obese. She could probably be Chesty LaRue

Catwoman. I figure is athletic and may have an average size chest.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:19 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,168 Times in 1,710 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really, its okay to think you have a bad body or are too fat. Its okay to think you're nose is too big and your chin is too small. Its okay to be bummed out about your hair, your skin quality, your age, your intelligence, your height, your bony knees, your ethnicity, your occupation, or your big flappy ears. Its called being a human being.

As Harvey Dunn said, "We're all out of drawing, every one of us."

Too much societal pressure? Turn off the tv, don't go to movies, stop looking at ads. Live a real life instead.

Those nasty lil' 19 year old boys making fun? Uhhh... Is your emotional life really dependent on the opinion of that demo? (Sucks for you!) You want to prevent 19 year olds from being a marketing opportunity? (Cultural control freaks need to get a life.) Maybe we really should be trying to change the way 19 year old boys' are directed by their hormones? Maybe we should advocate an estrogen dosing program for curtailing young boys natural proclivities. (Mengele!)

The whole body-image inclusivity thing is just going to end up another lifestyle brand with a built in audience who have been conditioned to only buy chubby-but-beautiful products, or I am defiantly big-nosed products, or frizzy-hair-and-proud-of-it products. Do you think Dove soap actually gives a shit about plump women's feelings? Do you think BP hugs trees? Does your self-image really rise and fall on the images from some corporate marketing plan?

If you keep yourself emotionally vulnerable to sticks and stones, which is all this wailing does for anybody, all you will do in the marketplace is announce yourself as marketing opportunity waiting to be exploited (with cheap junk products if possible, as long as the emotional issues of the demographic are scratched.)

We're all weird looking. Get over it. Do something productive.

(I can vouch for Armand being extremely lanky. He looks like somebody dressed up a telephone pole as D'Artagnan.)

Last edited by kev ferrara; August 2nd, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Really, its okay to think you have a bad body or are too fat. Its okay to think you're nose is too big and your chin is too small. Its okay to be bummed out about your hair, your skin quality, your age, your intelligence, your height, your bony knees, your ethnicity, your occupation, or your big flappy ears. Its called being a human being.

As Harvey Dunn said, "We're all out of drawing, every one of us."

Too much societal pressure? Turn off the tv, don't go to movies, stop looking at ads. Live a real life instead.
    That's not gonna stop the blatant sexism and imagery. You may have turned off the TV, someone else hasn't.

It would be a great day to walk into work and not hear if the new female co-worker is "hot looking" or "if she looks good in a bikini" mutterings. Where one should be wondering can she do her job, or is she qualified.

By the same token yes, I've seen female coworkers sometimes do the same when a new male worker comes in or asks about his status and money.

To shut out the TV and other media is counter productive to a commercial artist as well. It's a draconian approach to things anyways.

There is just more to "Society's pressure" than just media.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've known a lot of amazingly beautiful girls who were incredibly competent at their jobs. And I've known a lot of ugly people who were lazy, didn't pay attention, and were blindingly incompetent. In my experience attractive people tend to be more competent at their jobs than unattractive people.

There was also a study published a few years ago that found that ugly people were more likely to lie than attractive people.

All sorts of people who can't do their job get hired for one reason or another.

Guys look at hot girls and think to themselves "she's hot looking." That's life. Get over it. Its a waste of thought space to be concerned about it. And wanting to control other people's behavior is a kind of sickness.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys look at hot girls and think to themselves "she's hot looking." That's life. Get over it. Its a waste of thought space to be concerned about it.
    Great. But that's not even what I said.

What you think to yourself is awesome. You see someone attractive and comment on it to yourself that's great. No one is saying take a stab to your eyeballs and penis - how dare you see physical attractiveness.

Talking aloud to other co workers as the first thought of "Well is she hot looking?" is inappropriate. Period.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Talking aloud to other co workers as the first thought of "Well is she hot looking?" is inappropriate. Period.
    Nah, that's fine. (unperiod) People are people. You should relax about it. Just call the guys dorks, animals, or pigs. And move on.

If you police the words, you don't eradicate the thought. (See Orwell, USSR.)

At least Icarus tried!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "In my experience attractive people tend to be more competent at their jobs than unattractive people. "

People instinctively attribute positive characteristics to attractive people.

And people with genuine positive characteristics (talanted, funny, excellent at some task or skill) are often seen as attractive.

"what is beautiful is good"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

"Research has shown that some men enjoy viewing women's breasts,"

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; August 2nd, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "Research has shown that some men enjoy viewing women's breasts,"
    Alright. In the spirit of disclosure as a moderator, I will admit, I am
    actually one of those men.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That may be true, but maybe it should be amazing that gay men haven't really done this response if a new co worker worker of the same sex is due to arrive for many years before the "Coming out" phase...

Just sayin....

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is a bit of tangent, but there are such things as etiquette, common decency, and respect.

It's really annoying when people try to defend they way others express themselves by pretending that criticizing behavior is the same as trying to control their emotions. It's not the drive that's being criticized. NO ONE's saying it's wrong to be attracted to women. It's the way people choose to EXPRESS it that's being criticized.

Good god, I hate the "I'm a man, I can't help it." cop out of an excuse.

35. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Alright. In the spirit of disclosure as a moderator, I will admit, I am
    actually one of those men.
    You sicken me

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah, that's fine. (unperiod) People are people. You should relax about it. Just call the guys dorks, animals, or pigs. And move on.

One comment is easy to relax about, but the problem is it's almost never just one comment but a pattern of behavior. (Bullying is a pretty good example of this.) While yeah, people will think what they think - there's nothing wrong with expecting a little courtesy and respect either.

Also, tags. heh heh heh. Really? "Control Men Now"?

Last edited by Alice Herring; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: stupid grammar.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well since so many insist they can't control themselves...

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    This is a bit of tangent, but there are such things as etiquette, common decency, and respect.

It's really annoying when people try to defend they way others express themselves by pretending that criticizing behavior is the same as trying to control their emotions. It's not the drive that's being criticized. NO ONE's saying it's wrong to be attracted to women. It's the way people choose to EXPRESS it that's being criticized.

Good god, I hate the "I'm a man, I can't help it." cop out of an excuse.
    How 'bout that!

The issue is not that people are going to be dicks. The issue is learning to accept that fact because the only way to do something about is to try to legislate/control by law your local environment according to your personal sensitivities. Which is a worse crime. Because who says your sensitivities are all that important? Being offended is okay. It is not your right to be free from offense.

When it gets physical or interferes with work, that's a different matter.

Arshes, I'm not sure I understood your last point.

At least Icarus tried!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And people with genuine positive characteristics (talanted, funny, excellent at some task or skill) are often seen as attractive.
    It's true. Once we get past the extreme outliers I can't tell who's "good looking" and who isn't, so my decisions about attractiveness are largely based on whether the person is clever, funny, smells okay and is wearing a bicycle helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara
    And wanting to control other people's behavior is a sign that you belong in management.
    Fixed.

But seriously, you have to manage what happens at the office because it sets the culture of the workplace. The culture affects what kind of workers you attract. This is what good managers do. They herd workers so they do work, not wander around spreading discord and fucking the team up so nothing gets done.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    you have to manage what happens at the office because it sets the culture of the workplace. The culture affects what kind of workers you attract. This is what good managers do. They herd workers so they do work, not wander around spreading discord and fucking the team up so nothing gets done.
    Staffing smartly in the first place is an essential issue. And yes, a good manager will cleverly find ways to avoid issues. But I've worked in agencies where there were people who were so thin skinned, reactive, and so demanding of control of all things they found emotionally distressing in the local environment... that they were fired for the sake of the workplace.

Last edited by kev ferrara; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People instinctively attribute positive characteristics to attractive people.
    Actually, I think there are a massive amount of people who instinctively hate attractive people and assign them negative characteristics (and even whole life stories) before ever talking to them.

At least Icarus tried!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How 'bout that!

Arshes, I'm not sure I understood your last point.
    Pointing out the irony of "men who can't control themselves" and what Psychotime later talked about.

I dunno kev, maybe I just want the bullshit excuses for guys who think it's ok to act like manchildren to stop.

It doesn't take much hesitation if someone said something racist in the workplace, so I don't see why the handwringing over something sexist.

Maybe I'd like to see equality and not shitty mindsets...and excuses for it like somehow one can't honestly control themselves. Really is it 4th grade?

And that goes for mindsets about men and their position too. I supported a guy who was not a boyfriend/so, not a relative because he needed help.

Maybe I don't want to have to constantly fend off bullshit that because he's male and not with a job at the time and being supported by a female that "he's a loser"

No, I'm not an idiot and it doesn't stop people from saying things...but really?

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2