Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 192
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gastonia, N.C.
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Well. She might be good at pulling punches or causing general mayhem (if we're talking from a superhero perspective) but having a lot of bulk doesn't make you very flexble. If she was a superhero I'd think she'd be the slow but powerful type...
    I'd be worried about her gassing quickly. All that extra weight typical leads to no gas in the tank, whether its muscle or fat. Also you really need speed and flexibility. Power is great but if your opponent out maneuvers you and picks you apart all that power will be worthless.

    Also I think its a bit sad that we've been reduced to argue over fat and muscle, which is right which is wrong when there are bigger problems in the comic industry. Like how the storylines never seem to move forward and Marvel has the huge obsession of just reproducing the same thing over and over again. Cap dies, then cap comes game. Spiderman reveals his true identity, then some deity erases everyone's mind. Jean dies and everyone rejoices, now their trying to bring in a new Jean. Eff you Marvel you're not going to distract me with boobs, I see your terrible writing.
    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

    Sketchgroup

    One Sketch

    .empyrean's. sketchbook

    DanTang's sketchbook

    Dmotym's sketchbook

    Nigh7shad3's sketchbook


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,492
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked 410 Times in 310 Posts
    That'll be because I was talking about those girls in reality, not how they'd perform in the pages of a comic.

    I'm not a fan so I'll leave the sad nitpicking about bulk versus wind to the comic geeks.

  4. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    Also I think its a bit sad that we've been reduced to argue over fat and muscle, which is right which is wrong when there are bigger problems in the comic industry. Like how the storylines never seem to move forward and Marvel has the huge obsession of just reproducing the same thing over and over again. Cap dies, then cap comes game. Spiderman reveals his true identity, then some deity erases everyone's mind. Jean dies and everyone rejoices, now their trying to bring in a new Jean. Eff you Marvel you're not going to distract me with boobs, I see your terrible writing.
    I don't like characters dying and coming back over and over again either, but one could make an argument of it befitting a character like Jean Grey.

    And it's very silly singling Marvel out for your rant, Dc (among others) is equally as guilty of rebooting, retconning, and sexually exploiting their franchises. Especially considering we're about a year in with a massive reboot of all their titles.
    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art

  5. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts
    Honestly half of the comic book super-heroines look like they have silicon boobs which is the opposite of attractive for me. I also think that feminine women with a full figure can be very attractive.

    Then again you also have male depictions in comics that are also equally idealized with some sort of god-like muscular physic, good looks and almost hairless body.
    The only Superhero that breaks that stereotype AFAIK is Wolverine with his hairy arms and less than ideal looks (before he was Hue-Jackmaned that is) and people still like him.

    So if you like to break all the stereotypes and create a super-heroine that defy the predictable stereotypes go for it (like Brawne Lamia in Hyperion, and Hyperion did very well for a science-fiction novel).

    For the rest I think there are not enough female feminists that are into making comic books and care enough to make their hot female protagonists slightly overweight or stocky.

    I think its a discussion about nothing because really its something no one really cares to change much.
    You could say its like feminists calling to males to give them control while in reality most of them probably wouldn't be interested in dating someone submissive who did not at least offer to pay for them in the end.

  6. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    Then again you also have male depictions in comics that are also equally idealized with some sort of god-like muscular physic, good looks and almost hairless body.
    The only Superhero that breaks that stereotype AFAIK is Wolverine with his hairy arms and less than ideal looks (before he was Hue-Jackmaned that is) and people still like him.
    Sasquatch, Puck, and Beast are all very hairy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    For the rest I think there are not enough female feminists that are into making comic books and care enough to make their hot female protagonists slightly overweight or stocky.
    I present to you.... BIG BERTHA!

    Breaking Gender Roles
    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art

  7. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    Sasquatch, Puck, and Beast are all very hairy.
    Heh but most of them represent an edgy unique minority and are mostly condemned for these traits as weakness.

    Wolverine's weakness is his bad temper and sordid past.

    And Bertha: we are not talking about one dimensional characters who can only be described as very obese (female counterpart of the blob from x-men) + Big Bertha's natural form is that of a skinny supermodel called Ashley Crawford so again its not really an example.
    Obesity is unhealthy on either male or female(can cause various physical problems) and it falls under a different category than just being fat.
    Last edited by LightandDark; August 5th, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

  8. #172
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,799
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Well there is Granny Goodness and Big Barda.

    Big Barda was intentionally made to counter a stereotype comics.

  9. #173
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gastonia, N.C.
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    I don't like characters dying and coming back over and over again either, but one could make an argument of it befitting a character like Jean Grey.

    And it's very silly singling Marvel out for your rant, Dc (among others) is equally as guilty of rebooting, retconning, and sexually exploiting their franchises. Especially considering we're about a year in with a massive reboot of all their titles.
    I never liked Jean. I'll never like Jean. I think she is a very boring character and was very happy when they killed her off. But that is my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.

    I don't keep up with DC. That's why I singled out Marvel. And honestly dude we can branch out of comics into other media that do the exact same thing. I just ragged on Marvel alone because that's what I know. And I don't hate Marvel or anything like that. I'm just ragging on them.
    Helps us on our journey. Comments and critiques are welcome.

    Sketchgroup

    One Sketch

    .empyrean's. sketchbook

    DanTang's sketchbook

    Dmotym's sketchbook

    Nigh7shad3's sketchbook

  10. #174
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,799
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    I never liked Jean. I'll never like Jean. I think she is a very boring character and was very happy when they killed her off. But that is my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.
    Jean Grey was a tool to further the male personalities in the comic. The only time she was interesting was the Phoenix Saga.

  11. #175
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    400
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 178 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    And Bertha: we are not talking about one dimensional characters who can only be described as very obese (female counterpart of the blob from x-men) + Big Bertha's natural form is that of a skinny supermodel called Ashley Crawford so again its not really an example.
    Obesity is unhealthy on either male or female(can cause various physical problems) and it falls under a different category than just being fat.
    I'm actually a bit surprised she even exists and there isn't more of an uproar about her. I mean, she's just so crass as a character. It's like a pretty bad, offensive joke. Probably too much of a niche hero for people to care.



    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    I never liked Jean. I'll never like Jean. I think she is a very boring character and was very happy when they killed her off. But that is my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.
    Grant Morrison actually tried to change things a bit by killing off Jean and making Cyclops and Emma a steady couple. And it lasted a good awhile, for about 10+ years. But they're rebooting it again with the Marvel Now event! Quite ironic since one of his main points in New X-men was trying to forward and leave the past (Jean) behind.


    Quote Originally Posted by SigonWulf View Post
    I don't keep up with DC. That's why I singled out Marvel. And honestly dude we can branch out of comics into other media that do the exact same thing. I just ragged on Marvel alone because that's what I know. And I don't hate Marvel or anything like that. I'm just ragging on them.
    Allrighty then, if it's all the same to you.
    My Self-Portraits

    "Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

    ~ John Sloan Gist of Art

  12. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,799
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,263 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    I'm actually a bit surprised she even exists and there isn't more of an uproar about her. I mean, she's just so crass as a character. It's like a pretty bad, offensive joke. Probably too much of a niche hero for people to care.
    http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c.../bertha/01.jpg
    Breaking Gender Roles


    http://cobblerkhan.blogspot.com/2009...this-dojo.html

  13. #177
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kansas city, MO
    Posts
    1,167
    Thanks
    1,423
    Thanked 867 Times in 333 Posts
    Be careful in equating size to fight ability.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

    Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

    Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

    "Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:


  15. #178
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Religion, gender ideals, politics, we are really touching on some sensitive topics here. Pretty sure we all need a lot more beer in order to effectively discuss such hard hitting issues.

  16. #179
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,416
    Thanks
    2,456
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 908 Posts
    I was going to say something really thoughtful then I saw the tags.

    Have none of you stopped to realise there is some stranger asking for help down there?
    They've probably died from a bowel obstruction by now.
    We could have saved a life here, guys.


    But really, the only thing that gets me in comics is when I see galls with MASSIVE tits jumping around with no support up there. Let me tell you, that'd hurt so bad you'd be keeling over before anyone even had a chance to hit you.
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:


  18. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    737
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 497 Times in 270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    For the rest I think there are not enough female feminists that are into making comic books and care enough to make their hot female protagonists slightly overweight or stocky.

    I think its a discussion about nothing because really its something no one really cares to change much.
    You could say its like feminists calling to males to give them control while in reality most of them probably wouldn't be interested in dating someone submissive who did not at least offer to pay for them in the end.
    *facepalm*

  19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:


Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gender confused, please help! :s
    By Foxtrot Wolfwhistle in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM
  2. A Change of Roles (help!)
    By janzak in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM
  3. Would you rather change gender or......
    By onionface in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: April 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Developed Actively by the makers of the Best Amazon Podcast