Bark painting techniques in digital medium

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Bark painting techniques in digital medium

Hi. I've been doing physical art for the last couple of years, and recently I took up digital stuff again, trying my hand at speedpaints etc.

I recently painted a tree scene and I was curious if anyone hand any tips, techniques, tutorials or suggestions on how to render bark well? Any way of approaching it, or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The upside of Digital is you can cheat a great deal with texturing, overlaying a texture image over whatever you have created intelligently can get you around this...

i cannot direct you to anything specific, however krhart.deviantart.com did a study a while back, and if you're any good at deriving how certain things were done they should be rather useful.

Aspiring Digital Fantasy Artist
    DEVIANTART BLOGSPOT TUMBLR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steamhat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks. Thats some cool stuff.

I'm unsure about applying photo textures because I'm thinking that will look too digital or gimmicky. I'll try it out a bit.

And for people's reference, the speedpaint I was having trouble with was this one:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,402 Posts
    The issue in that picture is with lighting, not texture. With correct lighting it would look like tree bark even without much texture.

Thanks

Icon

Okay. Thanks. I felt they were coming off flat. What is the issue with the lighting?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Slapping photo textures on things if you don't know what you're doing almost always looks bad... (And if you're doing something for learning purposes, you'd learn more by trying to paint them yourself.)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    1: "Bark" isn't just one thing or texture. Different trees have differnt kinds, some rough, some smooth, with the texture forming different patterns at different scales. Like "how to paint" everything else, observe, gather reference, analyze.
    2: That said, in general, build your textures from dark to light.
    3: Texture tends to be much more evident in the halftones than in either the light or the shadow.
    4: Use an appropriate brush (real or digital) for the kind of texture you are painting. Marks are important.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Slapping photo textures on things if you don't know what you're doing almost always looks bad... (And if you're doing something for learning purposes, you'd learn more by trying to paint them yourself.)
    That was my thought process, thats why I haven't used textures etc. I'd prefer to learn to do it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    1: "Bark" isn't just one thing or texture. Different trees have differnt kinds, some rough, some smooth, with the texture forming different patterns at different scales. Like "how to paint" everything else, observe, gather reference, analyze.
    2: That said, in general, build your textures from dark to light.
    3: Texture tends to be much more evident in the halftones than in either the light or the shadow.
    4: Use an appropriate brush (real or digital) for the kind of texture you are painting. Marks are important.
    Thanks. That was really helpful. I didn't know the halftone thing specifically. What kinds of brushes are appropriate? What kind of things should I look for in a brush to classify it that way?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    The right brush is the kind that makes the right kind of mark for what you're painting. Sometimes that will mean soft, sometimes hard, sometimes round, sometimes square, sometimes irregular, sometimes smooth, etc. Give it some conscious thought, and experiment.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 3