Art: warhammer 40k concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: warhammer 40k concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

warhammer 40k concept art

I was looking through War-hammer onlines concept work by Daarken. He's got some sweet stuff.

I'm basically a basement artist who does it for fun, but I tried my hand at designing my own "ork" from the 40k universe.

about 10 hours work, I'm not so fast.

looking for some critique, I can see a few already myself but some others would help as well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what? This concept it's not perfect but it's usable for production (which is really something because most of the stuff we see here is not usable at all). You have someminor mistakes in proportions between front and back view and maybe not a perfect painting skill but it's a good work. Next time try multiple ideas anyway and don't forget to show every detail (the gun i'snt visible). Oh right, don't forget the shadow, it helps so much to add a believable weight to your character and always add your name (readable), the subject and the date.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    needs more dakka.

Pretty good so far. WH40k does have wide hips in a lot of the characters and models, but your ork's legs are a bit too spaced. Also the klaw is on the wrong arm in the back view than the front. Maybe raise the shoota-arm up so we can see the detail on the inside of its arm.

Things to consider, variations in wargear, maybe some stand alone orthogonal views of the wargear, like what does the palm of claw look like open, different angles of the shoota-arm (inside, outside, ammo?) What does he look like when walking?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All good points.

the gun I could perhaps do a separate drawing of it all together. Took some ideas from the ww1 vickers machine gun and strapped them together. Made it look a bit like a tommy gun.

When concept art is made, do the other ideas and poses have to be all rendered in maximum detail? like for example could I do 6 lower res drawing showing the set up and then one high res showing the one I like best or something?

I had a few ideas using armatures and assists that made the suit look beefier that I liked, but doing all that just means tons of time getting it right so it fits on the model nice. I just have them done in pen on my sketch pad.

All in all I'm just happy I did a front and back, it's my first time doing that, really good points on the side its facing, would have made way more sense having the gun side on the back view but theres always next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could do one tight rendering and multiple loose variations (or maybe you could render tight only the variated elements) but the important thing is to them to be good enough to be shown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK! thanks for the ideas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wouldn't this be considered Fan-art and not Concept Art?

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve it's space here - I just expected to see some Warhammer concept art.

It could might as well be me, who doesn't know what things are called anymore, within this field.

Nevertheless it's a cool piece - I like the high saturated colors!

Last edited by Bering; August 28th, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
    ---------------------------
    My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Members who have read this thread: 3