P.O.W.! 62 (A-B) Poll!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for one Artist/Illustration (Not yourself)! Poll is on for 3 weeks.

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • donalfall

4 44.44%
  • ex-machina

3 33.33%
  • Monologish

2 22.22%

Thread: P.O.W.! 62 (A-B) Poll!

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! 62 (A-B) Poll!

A Panels of the Week (P.O.W.!) Poll.

Vote for one artist (not yourself) whose comic pages you think best expressed the topics for this P.O.W.! topic. Polls stay open for 3 weeks after the contest deadline. The competing entries are displayed below.

Read over the entries and see which one fits the challenge topic best in your opinion. Look for a story that fits the topic, art that fits the narrative or has a interesting style, consider the lettering and the colouring, if any. But most of all, if someone's entry is really entertaining or really hilarious, give them a vote!

We POW'ers want the whole community of CA.org to give us feedback on the polls. Please feel free to vote for your favourite, whether you entered or not! Even if you just stumbled upon us just now, vote for the pages that caught your eye.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

donalfall

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  775.7 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  815.0 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  921.9 KB

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ex-machina

Name:  Pow62_pg1kl2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  159.0 KB

Name:  Pow62_pg2splashfullkl.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  356.1 KB

Name:  Pow62_pg4kl.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  Pow62_pg5kl.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  196.7 KB

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monologish

Name:  2Pg1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  196.3 KB

Name:  2Pg2.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  222.1 KB

Name:  2Pg3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  220.7 KB

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And a cool non-comp from j.s.sabastian

Name:  shateredgatespanels3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  223.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monologish: I really like how you did the hair!! Very nice also the hands and feet and legs and... well the anatomy is great! But, some critics also: I would have chosen some different angles or panels, for example the first one with some kind of fishing equipment in the background, or the first on the second page i would strechted it over the whole length of the page to give space for the ocean. And the font your using doesn't fit well...it's too bold for such fine inking!! But still - you've got my vote!
    donalfall: Great inking as always! good shoots, it's nice. BUT: I don't like the story, or to me, the story isn't clear at all. The main plot is clear, of course, the gates getting destroy and then 'revive' again. Thats ok. but then: the rain. It started raining when they were destroyed, but then what happend with the rain? why is it important to mention it? It sounds good, of course, but since you start with it, you also have to finish it somehow... (perhaps show the sun bursting through the clouds in the last panel?) then on it goes, it's a magical gate, thats ok (although it doen't like the '...But they're known...' but thats perhaps just me), than bamm it explods. Ok. but how? what happend?? next thing, we're back in the now. the first panel of the third page is somehow weird in perspective, it took me some time to understand it. The ending is good (except for the missing rain link).
    I hope i wasn't too harsh...

Cheers!

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex-machina not at all, I agree with everything. As I said before, these are pages 1, 2 & 4. I have a page 3 that goes on and on about the rain but when it was done I *hated* it. It shall remain in the forgotten shelf forever. It explains more about the rain and blah blah blah, so without it the story in the others has a continuity break.

Also, I use the passive voice in my comics way to much. It's almost always someone telling rather than the images showing. I'm going to try and completely reverse that in the next POW!

You guys, I am conflicted over which one of you to vote for, let me tell you. Tough decision - love them both, and both for nearly the same reasons. The movement of the water and the movement of the Selkies really catch my eye in both cases. Hard to choose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yayy, I made it..though now the glaring typo in my second page is bugging the hell out of me..now views

ex-machina - Thank you so much for the helpful advice, you are right about the font I was struggling with it a lot, coz on my laptop the slimmer font I had chosen was not visible, so I was worried no one would be able to read it, and I chose this fat one instead..I guess that was a bad move, as for the fishing equipment, once again you are correct, I should've put some element in to indicate he is a fisherman, and bring that home, this is my very first comic really, so I am still learning about laying out my story in panels and stuff..

Now about your comic I love the detail, I really like how you have maintained that steady flow of urgency and action, and I love the last page, the concept is awesome, my only suggestion would be to use finer lines and make the details pop, but then that could be a personal preference, so you can completely ignore that..

donalfall - I really like your comic, but maybe coz 1 page is missing, there does seem to be a gap in the flow of the story..also it seems a little rushed, like in your second page I can't quite make the link b/w the second and last panel..I really like some your panels though, and the way you have depicted the scenes within them..

In this one I will have to give my vote to ex-machina, I feel that your story was really well told, all panels are engaging, and you maintain the feeling throughout all your pages..

I am very new at making comics guys so please feel free to ignore every word I said, these are just my own opinions..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monologish - ha! I just went to look at the page when you mentioned it. The bottom part of the last panel of my page 2 was cut off by the scanner. No wonder you couldn't follow it. It should say "but they were shattered by some unknowable force" at the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    donalfall - Yeah, it makes sense now

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really was gonna call this a three way tie amazing stuff peeps!!!!!
    @donalfall. i really liked your interpretation of a shattered gate and it seemed like you pushed yourself artistically on this one!
    @monologish. very clean work but i was actually gonna give you my vote for the frame with multiple women in it with very very very wavy hair. decent story too! thumbs up!
    @ex-machina by far the best art work over all i meaN EXTREMILY DETAILED AMAZINGLY awsome art but i found the story too short

and my apolygies for starting and not finishing! peeps.

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; August 9th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    j.s. sabastian cheers dude. Wish we saw more of yours, but it was not to be. Next time!

Members who have read this thread: 2