How to Criticize a Work of Art - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bennett View Post
    ...cartoon cow heads...
    are there actually lots of artists doing this or do i just keep seeing the same one? i know there's one in brighton definitely.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think there's quite a few, since I see so many, and with variations in the execution.
    That or it's one person with a cow paint roller with a number of setting adjustments...

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noticed the Hans Hoffman mention. Olive Rush studied with Hans Hoffman, and respected him, kept quotes of his in her personal art manual. In the book Drawing the Line I think it was David Levine who said that Hoffman was an over-rated teacher, people only went to him because it was fashionable. Who's opinion do you trust? It's not my thing but if that's your bag you might learn something interesting.

Last edited by armando; August 11th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 1,706 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rush also did a Kandinsky thing in between Pyle and Hoffman.

Fact is; Olive Rush flitted about, following fashion and fate, never doing much of anything. She was a weak artist, for sure, and clearly did not understand Pyle's teaching, despite being the note taker of his words par excellence. If she had understood Pyle, she would have shared Levine's take on Hoffman, I imagine. Instead, she had the mentality of a clerk; She seemed to seek out strong male mentors, writing down what they said. (Bully for us, in Pyle's case.) She was nowhere near the powerhouse talent of Pyle's other famous female students, who were successful professional artists who had no confusion about what they believed artistically. And thus were immune from radical fads and their obligatory pied pipers.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, now that I haven't, a clue on what's being discussed at this juncture; I feel more, in-tune & within my own comfort zone. Concept Artists = Just, Illustrators on a Grand Scale & some added job-responsibilities, perhaps, with lots of Ego, Style, Draftsmanship, & Attitude, evident in their work but, is this- creating a work of Art or A Product? Is someone telling you, " Hey, I need a unique Super-Hero Character for this RPG I'm developing by next week; so, crank me-out, a few ideas/concepts..."
    Is This...Art?
    Starvation, being a radically painful & unpleasant experience underscores my point, which is that most commissions taken on by fine artists were done for reasons of either, public prestige/self-promotion[ promoting their own style & unique expression] and/or economic necessity.
    Everyone knows that artists have created "Product" throughout time in terms of Religious/Church commissions & other third party directed representations such as portraiture before the camera was fully developed. Everyone is also, aware that the camera was a technology which radically changed the definition, criteria & course of Art forever, not, so unlike digital media.
    There was, at that time, an exhilarating & liberating freedom for art & artists to grow & explore other lines of thought in their work that did not focus on a rigid code of Tricks that involved the application of paint onto a 2D surface, with the primary purpose of creating, a 3D effect. This new direction & definition in art was also, heavily influenced by another prominent thinker of the times & that was Sigmund Freud & his theories on the subconscious. So, of course, this, all leads into Modernism, theory, criticism & the current state of those affairs, as represented by galleries, such as Saatchi, Museums, & held in prominent art collections.
    Personally, I feel that in the work of an artist such as H.R. Giger ; there is notable & wonderful overlap in his "Commercial/Concept Work" [Alien,ect] & what is defined as being- Fine Art but than, on the other side of the coin, there are more than just a few formalists who would disagree with me & define Giger as an Illustrator or "Concept Artist", exclusively.
    So now I am beginning to realize that the elements, intellectual & emotional preferences & components in my own artistic vocabulary that draw me to the powerful & brilliant work of an artist, like Anselm Kiefer, [http://www.artchive.com/artchive/K/kiefer.html ], would & could be, actually, detrimental & perhaps, damaging in any personal effort to offer a constructive criticism in reference to the work of a concept artist. Silence is golden but duct tape is silver...I will [attempt] to remain silent except to [emphatically] add, that, There is No App on the market that would enable anyone to personally experience that incredible feeling of being in the real time presence of a Great Work of Art. Having the work in one's direct presence, in the realm of Fine Art & esp. in terms of writing a Criticism; is preferred & almost mandatory as many paintings & drawings do not translate well into a photo or digital scan format.

Last edited by sipher_0; August 15th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
    I stopped fighting my inner demons; we're on the same side now...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 1,706 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sipher_0 View Post
    a rigid code of Tricks
    For 1000 Art Points, please enumerate the Rigid Code of Tricks™ of which you speak.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    For 1000 Art Points, please enumerate the Rigid Code of Tricks™ of which you speak.
    Ooh, I know, I know; pick me!

He means talent; the hard won ability to make a preconceived idea into a tangible image that conveys its meaning visually, without explanation from the creator, when viewed by other people.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Ooh, I know, I know; pick me!

He means talent; the hard won ability to make a preconceived idea into a tangible image that conveys its meaning visually, without explanation from the creator, when viewed by other people.
    oooooh, thats good

BrandMooreArt
    http://brandmooreart.daportfolio.com/
    Twitter: @BrandMooreArt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.