Foxgirl comission critique?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Foxgirl comission critique?

I just started getting into comissions, and one of my clients asked me to draw them this character (a naked "wild" form + several other outfits on top of this form, so the body will be used as a base)

Thus, I thought it would be best to post this up for crit, to get the base body as correct as possible and do the best job I can for this comission.

I scanned the traditional sketch who came out skewed, and I did the line art correcting the skewness.

I think the legs might look stiff, and the feet are all kinds of wrong, but I don't know how to fix them. Other stuff is surely wrong, but I'm not realising it xD

The client asked for an anime style.

Name:  DSC01510 copy.png
Views: 715
Size:  111.9 KB

Please help? I am a noob seeking the guidance of those better than me ;_;

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hands need work.
    The knees are in the wrong places.
    The perspective on the feet is screwy.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MephistoLV For This Useful Post:

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dig the style, kind of reminds me of Elfquest...

did you get some ref for this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MephistoLV thank you! i tried fixing them
    the knees aren't aligned with each other because one leg is behind the other, but i sucked at showing that xD

@FourTonMantis no, the client sent me a pose made with an imvu character that was anatomically incorrect in all of the ways, so i went like FUCK IT IMMA DO IT LIVE and tried to remember how everything properly looks xD

the client asked me to simply the whole thing, make it animeish, make the body smaller and the head larger, the boobs gargantuan, and remove details to make it simpler
    i wept.

tried to fix the hands and the feet, but i have the feeling i might've just made it worse

Name:  sshot-5bb.png
Views: 339
Size:  39.8 KBName:  sshot-5jg.png
Views: 322
Size:  65.5 KB
    lol screenshots aren't equal oops.

i fixed it in my version, and the one the client wants
    if anything, it's extra practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy is off in pretty much every single aspect.
    Shoulders are too broad in relation to her neck, waist is too exaggerated. Whole upper body is too short, especially the part below her navel.The breasts are unnaturally formed, dimensioned and too far apart of each other. Her legs position make the whole figure look unbalanced, her right leg is shorter for no reason. Her feets position make no sense. The whole body doesn't work, since body parts don't interact properly. That last point especially is why we try to understand whats behind the skin, how muscles and bones work and interact. This also is important to make figures look less stiff. Judging from this picture, you lack in understanding of some fundamental knowledge. I'll refer to Andrew Loomis again here. Aside of that, reference is mandatory. Here are some examples for what you might aim for, but you should also try to understand what happens, like how raised shoulders may effect a big part of the upper body, how a skewed chest forces the legs to position differently and such.

http://www.artsyposes.com/Imagenes/M...ck-d309229.jpg

http://www.artsyposes.com/Imagenes/M...anum_stock.jpg

Aside of that, I'd not recommend to combine a heavily stylized, bland manga face with a completely realistic body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @swampthing

i corrected the shoulders and the neck, as well as simplified the body in my second post in this thread, mainly because i realized how weird it looked xD lengthened the legs, too (they were fine in my sketch, but the camera skewed them and i didn't notice when i line arted -_-""" ).

i wanted to make the leg look like it's a bit behind her, like the right leg was a bit in front of the other, but i guess the unanimous opinion is that it looks like shit, so i changed it

the face was what the client wanted. she wanted an anime style, so i assumed just the face. i later found out she meant the body, too xD it's a good thing i have good communication ethics with my commissioners xD

i hope it's better, because my commissioner said that she wants it colored, and for me to proceed to the next step, so xD

thank you everyone, for your critiques they really helped me and i learned a lot.

i'll study loomis starting as of today, and hopefully improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry my critique was based on the first image, I can't see the changes since the attachment manager is down atm.

What I meaned was, that it doesn't fit together at a certain level of stylization. But Manga has a completely undefined range from chibi to realistic, and with its level of realism, the body grows more realistic too.

On a side note, this being taken with caution, since I am not depending on freelancing: Especially clients who are not working with artists usually, have practically no idea of this medium. Therefore, they often give vague details and very often ask for stuff that wont work. However you're the artist, you should know when something has to be done one way or the other, and if you wont inform the client, he will eventually change his details, resulting in you having to draw stuff again, or simply feel you lack in the required skill. Some clients may refuse suggestions, but then you still have warned them before. So summarized, don't draw things just because a client asks for it, think about compromises or at least find ideas on how to solve issues in order to make them read.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.