P.O.W.! Challenge 63 (A-B-C) Games and Girls

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 63A: Let the Games begin (Event)

The Games! Whether they be Olympic, Gladatorial or the Intergalactic Wrestling championship, the flag has been raised/laser flare been shot/torch has been lit and they are underway. Give us an exciting an dynamic POW! entry about peak athletes competing to win the gold/their lives/the chance to mate with the brood Queen, whatever.

Two optional extra challenges: Introduce a plot about some kind of double-dealings for extea "points" in our arbitary POW-lympics. Also, concentrate on getting the anatomy in your panels right, especially if you're dealing with humans.

Topic 63B: The Girls of Summer (Story)

Those hot blazing days are here again - and so are the girls of summer. Tell a short tale about these intriguing characters and what they may be up to as they mysteriously breeze about on summer winds. Temptresses, music fanatics, nerds or ninja assassins? It's up to you!

One optional extra challenge: Make this a full-colour POW! in any colour medium you like, but make sure the colours fit the theme and story you're trying to tell. Warm them up and wash them out.

Topic 63C: The contestant

Design a contestant to enter the games (Topic A, above) as well as his/her gear and notes on the sport they're entering into. This is the most fun when it's not a human contestant and not a earthly sport.

One or All-Deadline: Wednesday, August 29th, 2012, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page.

Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by donalfall; August 27th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i alteady have some ideas!! i will do the topic B as quikly as possible, already have the short story ready in my mind, i try to do the layout and sketches today.
    maybe, if i'm really fast creative i even do the other...but thats the future, now lets concentrate on the present: draw the first one!
    i see you let go the native legend, donalfall! i like it

cheers!

{EDIT}
    Here a little technical sketch for my girls entry. i know, i messed up the anatomy, but purpose was purely to check out the technique with the watercolors on the paper that i have.

cheerio

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ex-machina; August 2nd, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
    "Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have 2 stories in mind for topic B, each with their own set of pros and cons. One involves a bear attack and one shows how plants bloom.

Bear attack is exciting, more character-centered, and sounds like fun to make; but it toes the line between real life and too-crazy-to-be-real so much that belief may be hard to suspend. Also, although full grown corn is present (and a plot point) city folk may not recognize that it's suppose to be summer.

Plants blooming is more "summer-y" and far enough removed from reality that people won't be confused. However it relies heavily on things I'm not good at drawing (night time, environments, plants in excruciating detail) and if I get it wrong it's going to look really dumb. Also the characters mayn't get the focus this challenge seems to require.

Basically my choices are possible viewer confusion vs. epic art fail. My question is, is it better to make something either very fantastic or very grounded in reality because "viewers are morons" and confuse easily? Or is it okay to give the audience credit and make something outlandish but still realistic? Do I need to supply more info?

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, NicoleWG. I would say just go with the one you're going to have fun with. Personally speaking, if I reckoned I would enjoy them both, I would go with possible viewer confusion. Give people credit, especially CA people!

Also, I really like when POW! strips give us all a bit of a challenge. Do it!

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, ex-machina I love your little coloured sketch. Don't worry about the anatomy too much in the Summer Girls topic, if you run with that as a kind of style it could have a great alternative comics type of look.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donalfall View Post
    Hey, NicoleWG. I would say just go with the one you're going to have fun with. Personally speaking, if I reckoned I would enjoy them both, I would go with possible viewer confusion. Give people credit, especially CA people!

Also, I really like when POW! strips give us all a bit of a challenge. Do it!
    When I read this the 1st thought was "yay! I can draw the bear one! XD" so bear attack it is.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks donalfall! yeah, it won't be too accurate on the anatomic aspect....

nicoleWG: i wanted to say the same as donalfall... Art is about doing YOUR thing, YOUR ideas, it's not about to please the viewer!!! in some small part yes, but in my opinion not *that* important... You are as you are, with your own fantasies and ideas and stories, and it is you how tell them, so it's the problem of the viewer, if he doesn't get it! and yes!, comics are an art-form!!

Cheers!

-Novalis-
    My Blog

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Super-Hero Olympics [Good vs Evil]

Jumpstarting this Thread. ~7 hours and it is a webcomic format. When I partecipated (all incomplete) in the old POWs I always wrote some sort of script or something and then drew it, this is just a stupid story [ read "excuse" ] to let me draw what I want.

This is the storyboard, my intention is to draw it, add backgrounds ( even some enviro here and there ) and then color it ( maybe ). My intentions are good but I probably will not finish it

Reading direction [top -> down] each column, [left -> right] panels

Name:  20120803.1lq.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  350.8 KB

Name:  20120803.2lq.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  409.0 KB

Name:  20120803.3lq.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  400.8 KB

P.S. About it being a webcomic format. It is a bit of a cheat but with good intentions. A big part of ca.org works digitally and the webcomic format is way undervalued. It works wonders for storytelling especially when reading it on a computer screen. It is also very easy to fix a story ( add or remove panels ). Just saying, most famous mangas and comics would lose to some of these webcomics
    Also POW is the "storytelling" challenge of ca.org, limitations or rules in art should belong to classical museums whereas experimental and avantgard should blossom in internet communities in this time and age [<-manipulative argument]

I didn't really want to draw this digitally but it was worth the point I wanted to make. I only read three manhwa webcomics so there are surely people that know more about this type of storytelling and can do a better job at explaining what i can't. Webcomics are also quite fun to read all in one page, every picture is loaded, just scroll down, read and scroll, scroll and read.

NicoleWG I doubt any panel of the week has ever gone on sale and you have no editor criticizing or pressuring you to a deadline. If there is a place where you should care less about the readers' preferences this is it. On the other hand can you tell the story you have in mind in a way that is understandable? If you can't then you SHOULD try it because at least you would have experimented and learnt something on how to convey a difficult story. In the end you should draw something you really want to draw so you get another reason to finish it, i guess.. [ also bears are pretty cool ]

Last edited by R3u5; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: +

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowzah, that's some start, R3u5. Ambitious. I love the format, as you can see up top I changed out the "only comic book page" rule to "any format", so these are great. It's really dynamic & I can already follow the action so that's an awesome start. Thanks for the link out to those webcomics as well. Some of them look amazing.

I completely agree about rules. Fuck the rules. If the content is good, no matter how far off topic or experimental,the strip gets in. I would love to see people who really push the format out turn up here. If anyone sees any one doing any experimental storytelling on CA, point them here. They would be really welcome.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    R3u5, i really haven't got the time to read your sketch, but it's looking good. And, it's an interesting format!

i'm slowly. very slowly. it's harder than i think, and again, i've got too many images in my head, dictating how it should look like. my hands are apparently not ok with that dictation and are rebelling...
    ...so, here is the first panel...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex-machina Love it! It's very summery. I like the hanging out in the park vibe.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cover prototype

No progress on the story, I have yet to decide how to proceed from the storyboard to what I will consider Final. This is a Test for the cover

Name:  20120814_Pow_63_Cover_sketch01_by_R3u5.jpeg
Views: 421
Size:  467.3 KB

23. The Following User Says Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's amazing looking, R3u5. I've sketched and watercoloured a few pages. I have to ink them (a little) and scan them in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost done. I got a bit messy with the watercolours so I have to go back and paint white balloons in for the dialogue. I might do it on the computer, I guess. I probably won't get to do more than these two pages, but if I do, these girls are summer time bank robbers.

Name:  sample 1.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  240.5 KB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to go to a Stag weekend starting tomorrow, so I'll probably put a small extension on this one cos I won't be right to do any polling on Sunday. New topic will still go up on Sunday though - it's all planned and scheduled. If anyone needs an extra day or two to get theirs done, you can probably count on getting until Wednesday the 29th before any polls happen.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As predicted above, I am back from a crazy weekend and still have to go to work. I moved the deadline a little bit, although the idea I'll still be alive on Wednesday feels optimistic just right at this minute. My pages are finished, so you have a 3 extra days to stop me winning by default! .... even smiling in a smiley hurts.

I'll check back in tomorrow if I survive. If I don't, avenge my death.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  20120830_Pow_63_Cover_by_R3u5.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  486.7 KB

This is the cover.

sidestory : a fire demon and his wife ( a cloud spirit ) went on a holiday, lovers' quarrel ( fires and thunders everywhere ) and people mistook them for superhero and supervillain so some guy invited them to the Superhero vs Supervillain Olympics.

The story itself was so boring I stopped cleaning the storyboard half-way through... I should have gone with the sidestory instead, i thought so many stupid gags for it but it was off-topic. Well, live and learn

Last edited by R3u5; August 29th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fucking awesome R3u5. I've been swept up in a tide of no sleep and the day job every day this week. I'll put up some kind of topper on this POW over the next few days.

Members who have read this thread: 1