Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cabbage Caterpillar's Sketchbook

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cabbage Caterpillar's Sketchbook

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! I'm a newbie to concept art, and just started learning how to paint.

I’m currently working *edit* part-time in an accounting position, but I really want to make a career out of art. I know I have a long hard road ahead of me so any advice or help you can give me would be super helpful!! Thanks!

Here are some studies I’ve done this last week.

These are just for fun:

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; October 12th, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies. welcome to concepart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bobmeatbag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work! Your proportions and everything are really freaking good! Especially considering you're just starting... it's pretty amazing. The values are decent and you can focus more on getting accurate with values but I see with your picture of the person in the bathtub, the values are already much better in the second version so I don't think you'll have much trouble with that!

The imagination paintings are pretty interesting and kinda funny.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey pretty nice start, keep on working on the values and structure as a start and then push it to color maybe after you feel comfortable with values.

keep it up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m0uS3r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Thanks for the comments!
    @bobmeatbag: The stuff on your sketchbook looks awesome, especially the latest character designs!! really like your ideas, and the characters really got their own personality and story behind them.

@Sycra: Thanks for the kind comments - Gonna try the tip you gave with the adjustment layer stuff today with the bath one. Really appreciate your encouragements... I'll look harder to get accurate values than to rush thru the whole painting. ps. i like your icons lol

@m0uS3r: Thanks for the tip. I tried color a bit few days ago, it was a complete disaster @@ just means more value studies for the time being... And wow, Your sketbook looks amazing. I really like this one especially: almost feel like I could touch the uneven skin texture http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/s...tilestudy1.jpg

Some sketches from last night: Did some Sargent copies first and found it a great way to start.

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; July 29th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA.

You seem to make some obvious mistakes when it comes to perspective.
    Distances in space, perfect squares, axis of ellipses etc.
    I recommend the book "Perspective" by Gwen White and of course Carl Dobsky's downloads here on CA.

That said, you're on the right track so keep drawing and posting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zelda: Thanks for pointing that out, and for the recommendations - You're right, I've been struggling a lot with perspective, and so far have learned some perspective from Loomis's book and watching Scott Robertson's video on drawing cars/planes. They sure help, but sometimes I get stuck when the stuff gets more advanced. Definitely gonna try to get both of those materials you mentioned. Thanks again!

From tonight: more work on the bath girl - The goal tonight was really trying to nail down the values. Had a lot of trouble with the nose and chin (and now it's the hand @@) they took forever.. frustrating, but I will keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great studies...and I dunno if you're trying to challenge yourself or not, but on the bath girl it seems like, you are utilizing pressure sensitivity, it would really help to blend your values more, which would probably make it easier to feel like it's finished. It's looking good though the values are pretty accurate! Keep up the hard work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Psychobuddy: Thanks for stopping bys! Yes I thought I'd better learn the hard way, with full opacity. The edges look really ugly right now, so definitely I'll try using pressure sensitivity when I'm closer to finishing this. My goal is to study as much as you are, with that crazy amount of work on your sketchbook O_o

Some sketches for tonight. So grateful that there's pixel lovely - did some gesture poses:

crappy perspective

Bridgeman facesfacesfaces

Bammes (thanks to Mouser's recommendation!)

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; August 1st, 2012 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Cabbage, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. Nice value and perspective studies you have here. Your figure studies look also very good. Keep it up.

My Stuff: DeviantArt, Sketchbook
    My Tools: Gimp
    IDW

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Leysan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Leysan: Thanks for dropping by too

heads... sorry about the bluriness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies, you really have a great start to your sketchbook, if you continue your studies at this rate i bet youll see plenty of improvement even within the next few months, keep it up(and it reminds me ive got to keep up with my studies too)

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to blazingdimensions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting Blazing. I've got to continue my studies, and keep it consistent. You've got great studies in your sketchbook too!

Recent stuff: een trying to learn proportions of the head with Loomis, then I saw the exact tutorial I needed on PencilKing's website , it made it so much easier. Thanks Sycra! gonna go through more of your videos.. they actually help A LOT, especially for imagination drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff from today. The persepctive lines were starting to make me dizzy... I'm sure there was at least a few wrong conncection points here and there. lol

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; August 7th, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really nice studies here, if you keep this up you're going to make some amazing progress.

My Sketchbook Please have a lookie...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tomcat: Last night I was feeling pretty frustrated with figures, and felt I was so behind that I would never catch up. Your words really encouraged me. It means a lot!! Thank you.

Just a quick painting for tonight.. wanted to do some more Bammes but ran out of time!!
    It's hard with job in the morning, I feel so sleepy at work. Hope tomorrow I'll have more time to draw.

spent most of the night working on a website design for my friend's restaurant. (yep looks totally amateur lol)
    Did the logo first many months ago - never knew designing logos would be so hard until I actually had to do it myself!
    Now I look at logos everywhere on the streets and get impressed. lol
    Attached here just for fun.

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; August 9th, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketches from tonight... tried to do some Sargent copies again - the lady's pose was super hard!! Totally wasn't expecting it. Pretty much draw it, erase, draw, erase, draw.. and then.. screw it! Start a new one. lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    District 9 continued on... HELP!! lol Anyone have good tips on painting grass? Anything would be greatly appreciated, as I am just scrambling with texture brush.

It's had to make it look right - texture brush made things a bit easier but the look is somewhat unnatural. I wonder if grass has any special highlights we should worry about or any other area to look out for? It just all look pretty random to me right now @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi !
    Hey great work. I love the last speed. This looks very good

C&C please to help me progress !
    >>My sketchBook & SpeedPainting<<
    >>My website<<
    "My english is so bad..... "

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tef: Thanks for visiting, And for the encouragement man!! Actually it's not really speedy at all though hahaha just looks that way cuz I'm a sloooowasss lol
    (I have to admit it took like 3 hours just to add the grass, person, and details @@) Hope I can get faster.

Some really shitty imaginary stuff from tonight. Drawing from imagination is SOOOOOO much harder than drawing from ref!!!!! f***

The idea is a woman stripper in a spaceship. She can't breathe unless she's in this stupid pill thing, but she still wanna be sexy. (lol yeah i know talk about a failed attempt)

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; August 11th, 2012 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @SatuThanks so much for being so encouragining!! Colors is super hard for me when I try to do imagination stuff. Hope I can get better, for now I'm being a wimp by sticking with monochrome. lol
    @Kame Thanks so much for visting! I love using pencil and charcoal (I am scared of paint! lol) Need tons of work when it comes to actually getting values though :/

Been over a month since I last post... BADBADBAD
    I have started to paint, they look pretty terrible, but I am a bit less scared of colors now. That's a good thing.
    Name:  game-of-thrones-attempt1.png
Views: 212
Size:  234.6 KB1638605[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]Name:  Sargent_John_Singer-The_Washerwomen copy.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  33.9 KBName:  Sargent-John-Singer-The-Little-Fruit-Seller copy.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  246.4 KBName:  genie 1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  43.1 KBName:  genie 2 copy.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  48.2 KB[ATTAName:  Genie Study.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  76.5 KBCH=CONFIG]1638606[/ATTACH]

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha ha ha I'm willing to 6 hours to do the same!

Good sketches !

>>My website<<

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Tef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have been a busy bee i see, drawings look better and better by the day, i wont get into painting grass at this point if i were you but just continue with the value study because you are doing great , flat shapes is killer ) just go with that for now do a bunch of these studies get comfortable with the values and then step into the realm of details.

remember details and things like this don't look great if they don't have a solid base to sit on

34. The Following User Says Thank You to m0uS3r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good practices in here! the perspective stuff seems to be coming along! just keep at it!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start out,the line work in these are great,i myself haven't used a pencil in ages

Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

38. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsorbenGhost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies. better start keeping a pillow handy for wherever you go cause at this rate you won't have a butt to use.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to bobmeatbag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Vice & Anthony Thanks for being so encouraging! I wish I could do something like that from imagination... gotta keep practicing hard.

Here's so imagination stuff for today.. it's suppose to be thumbnails but they ended up taking me 2 hours. I really suck at this.
    Name:  20121125.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  147.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woahh Thanks for all the comments!!

@Tef
    haha thanks for being so encouraging! I'm still have scared feelings toward painting, but I tend to overcome that when I get bored of sketching.. lol so I guess being bored can be a good thing too.

@Mouser
    Hey mouser, thanks for the advice. Actually this really helps, because I was thinking if I should continue on that painting or not, I mean it could be more detailed - but now I think I know the answer after thinking about what you suggested. I should just go over more paintings (like think just big picture) So I don't get myself caught up on small details. Thanks for dropping by and for the helpful comment!! really appreciate it.

@Kevin
    Thanks for dropping by Kevin, your sketches look amazing!! Thanks for the encouragement - I still have a ton to learn for perspective, but so far the basic stuff has helped me a lot in paying attention to the 3D space! Eventhough my stuff still looks shitty lol, I hope it will get better later on with more perspective knowledge.

@Absorben
    Thanks for stopping by!! Do you usually sketch on the computer now? Cuz your manga stuff looks great, I don't think it matters whether it's pencil or digital...

@Bobmeatbag
    Hahaha thanks Bob, my butt is still very very huge and wide, I think I need to work harder before I invest in a pillow. When I get there, I'll need some tips from you on how to live the buttless life....hahaha

Trying to learn the neck muscles - mainly the long-name one "stenocleidomastoid" Sorry for keep writing it out on every page, I always found it easier to memorize when I keep writing the word down, otherwise I always forget it very easily @@ I need to know what the word *looks like* lol
    Not sure exactly how the levator scapulae looks, it seems like only a small part shows, and most of it is covered by the Trapezius. I think I need to find more reference to look at for the different positions. Most of the stuff on google either shows it without trapezius, or with trapezius covering the whole levator scapulae. If anyone has some good recommendations please let me know!! Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited by Cabbage Caterpillar; August 13th, 2012 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I think you're right except me, for now the painting is not my strong point, even when I'm bored lol

The last post is very good !

Keep posting !

>>My website<<

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Tef For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1