Desert Environment - Need Help Moving forward

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Desert Environment - Need Help Moving forward

Hey all,

I really want to make this the best it can be. I feel I am a bit stuck on what to do moving forward.. is it a matter of adding more and more details, is it a matter of fixing some things that look incorrect, is it a matter of adding darker values or is the value structure fine where it is? I really want to bring it up to the quality bar of the greats, and I'm not sure how to get there from here. Anyone with any good advice on how to improve this painting would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The value structure is a little off. I would start by making the foreground darker and then really applying more detail at the point of interest. The figure's position is a little awkward as well. If all the light is coming from the point of interest in the center then maybe make your figure and the foreground real dark and rim light him. work on his pose the legs look off balance and his right arm almost looks like its broken backwards. Try the pose for yourself it really seams borderline impossible at the very least awkward because his shoulder is up real high and his arm starts lower at an angle that doesn't work.

Thanks
    Why is it sooooooo wide?? Its like a chore to look at this thing.

I like a lot of things going on but that is hurting it IMO.

Thanks
    TJMSaint - Thanks for the crit! I will try what you suggested. I was afraid to push the detail in the distance because I was really trying to push the depth, but I will try to push the level of detail while keeping the depth.

Artfix - I cant imagine the width of the image detracts from it that much.. do you have any criticism of things happening in the peice?

Thanks
    Hi matey
    I think it looks a little back to front to me I'm afraid, the focus would seem to be the city thing in the distance with the light show going on and yet there is loads of detail in the foreground and none on the city.

If it isn't back to front then the background is way too cluttered and busy and drags your eye off the guy looking into the distance!

You need to sort out what is going on first I think, something that far away would focus your eye to long distance and blur the foreground out.

Feel free to tell me to shut up if you like I am just saying it like I see it mate.

all the best with it .

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey lightship, thanks for the comment! That makes a lot of sense. I will try to sort out where the focal point should really be!

Thanks
    Heres an update with some of your guys' advice. I appreciate the help! I feel confident moving forward in polishing this thing.

Thanks
    That new update DEFINITELY helped to bring some polish. I would suggest looking at some of the paintings from the Hudson River Painters as they had to deal with vast expanses of land and were VERY good at controlling mood, texture, focal point etc.

Personally I would like to see some highlights/hotspots in high density where the focal point is (on the building mainly) as there seems to be a LOT of light coming from the heavens! All that light has to bounce off of something!

Hoping for the best!
    EA

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Its getting better for sure. It still has a problem because the figure and the castle are around the same size and as artfix said it looks real wide with too much space between the figure and the glowing structure. Maybe try a few quick thumbnails and see how you can change the painting. I did a quick paintover of a little more dynamic idea with the same width you have. I lost a lot of the detail you had doing it though

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tjmsaint View Post
    its getting better for sure. It still has a problem because the figure and the castle are around the same size and as artfix said it looks real wide with too much space between the figure and the glowing structure. Maybe try a few quick thumbnails and see how you can change the painting. I did a quick paintover of a little more dynamic idea with the same width you have. I lost a lot of the detail you had doing it though
    this. I vote for this.

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    It seems to me the picture feels a bit overly midrange. It might be worthwhile to look at some photos of sunrises, atomic explosions, etc. JPEG attached below for whatever it's worth.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the paintovers, folks! I will strive to push this thing to a great finish with your help!

Thanks
    Love this thread, so much knowledge to be gained! I think you should seriously think about tjmsaint's suggestion about varying the sizes of teh main elements between the foreground and the background. I made this quick redo of Giacomo's excellent paintover, and by simply making the foreground figure much bigger I feel it has a lot more impact and it sells the perspective of the piece so much better.

Thanks
    callin it done for now, and moving on to the next. Thanks for your help guys!

Thanks
    It turned out pretty cool, but I would have enjoyed some strong rim lights on the foreground objects. There are some here and there, but they are pretty tame.

Thanks
    Yep you could have pushed it on a bit further but if you are happy with it then that's good enough for me. try and design the next one a bit more and put together some thumbnail sketches that you can try the different values and lighting levels etc. before you start it will help you.

all the best with the next one and don't forget to post it in here as you go!

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    great, thanks! i will be sure to get your guys' advice again

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.