Cintiq 22HD
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cintiq 22HD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cintiq 22HD

hi everyone, i recently purchased a 22hd from the u.s wacom website and it was delivered to my house yesterday. i put up an unboxing video on yt for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEd0RdwslGE&hd=1

i actually ran into a slight problem after unpacking everything from the box. Wacom did not supply a DVI to VGA adapter cable. My desktop videocard blew up several months ago so I'm forced to use my laptop which only has VGA and hdmi ports. I have some good news, the 22HD is HDMI compatible. I couldn't find any answers on the internet so I was forced to go ahead and test the 22HD to see if a DVI to HDMI adapter would work and it does! Obviously this would not have been possible if all the cables were hardwired into the Cintiq but since the 22HD was made so that all the wiring is easily replaceable by simply opening up the back panel, I attached the dvi to hdmi adaptor into the dvi port and used my hdmi cable to hook it up to my laptop.

btw, this is my first cintiq (almost bought a 21UX 3 weeks ago), was an intuos 3 for the past 5 years.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanxs for showing a video, im thinking upgrading my first generation 21ux, is it true that the contrast was doubled? 1000:1 instead of 550:1.

Was lucky to test it on past comicon in san diego, i was so surprised with the screen that didnt put attention to the 24hd ones.

Can you give us a full review after usage?

Will be great if you can write the specifications, they dont have it on any wacom web page out there.

Thanxs again.

There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsevilla View Post
    Will be great if you can write the specifications, they dont have it on any wacom web page out there.

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq/Cintiq22HD.aspx

There's a comparison here:
    http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cin...%20Models.aspx

interestingly enough when I look at the comparison, the 22 is right in line with the 24 now except for contrast. It beats all the other models!
    Contrast ratio
    24 touch 850:1
    24 hd550:1
    22hd 1000:1 (typ), 600:1 (min)

Active Area
    19.5" W x 11.5" H

(475.2 x 267.3 mm)
    Color

Black
    Compatibility

Compatible with both Mac and PC
    Connection

USB, DVI-I
    Display Connector

DVI-I, DisplayPort
    Physical Size

25.6" W x 15.7" H x 2.2" D

(650 x 400 x 55 mm)
    Power Supply Input

100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz
    Power Supply Output

12 VDC, 6.67A
    Pressure Levels

2048 on pen tip and eraser
    Weight

18.7 lbs. with stand (8.5 kg)

Brightness

230 cd/m2 (typ.)
    Color Management

ICC profile, 6500 K whitepoint default
    Number of Colors

16.7 million (depends on display card used)
    Viewing angle

178 (89/89) H, (89/89) V

ExpressKeys

16-user assignable
    Technology

Patented electromagnetic resonance method
    Touch Strips

2, 4-function, rear mounted

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As long as you're making videos, I have never seen one that showed someone slowly making a line so I can see how closely it follows the pen. It's always zoomed out and people making grand gestures. I'd like to see the lag if there is one.

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    As long as you're making videos, I have never seen one that showed someone slowly making a line so I can see how closely it follows the pen. It's always zoomed out and people making grand gestures. I'd like to see the lag if there is one.
    Isn't the lag usually dependent on the user's rig otherwise? I doubt there's much if you've got a beefy card in your machine. But I'm only guessing here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe when people talk about lag, they actually mean parallax. I've never noticed lag, but the thick surface between the screen and the pen tip creates a disconnecting experience.

I'm curious as to why they decided to make the 22hd slightly more widescreen than the 21ux. Widescreen is great for watching movies, but I like my vertical space when drawing (and for regular computing).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelismo View Post
    Maybe when people talk about lag, they actually mean parallax. I've never noticed lag, but the thick surface between the screen and the pen tip creates a disconnecting experience.

I'm curious as to why they decided to make the 22hd slightly more widescreen than the 21ux. Widescreen is great for watching movies, but I like my vertical space when drawing (and for regular computing).
    I get no lag. if there is lag its because my computer cant keep up. How strong your computer is will determine if you have lag.

I think they chose widescreen because most of the space on the sides is used for tool bars and you work in the center. Just a guess though.

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    idk if it's possible for wacom to produce/order a non-widescreen panel now. pretty much every manufacturer has switched to 16:9/16:10 ratio, and all full HD media is widescreen too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Probably it was a standard size and they could get it cheaper, then say it was on purpose and charge more for it.

What if you just spin the thing on it's side and draw that way? I like the width for palates. But yeah I get it. It's only a foot tall. so essentially it's the hieght of a piece of paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Palettes usually take up some space on the left and/or right sides. With a wider screen your left with a better area to draw in. If you work without palettes on the screen then maybe the 21 ux second gen is better for you.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good points about the space for palettes on the side, and 16:9s being cheaper. As far as rotating goes, I guess I'm in the minority who likes the rotate tool in PS.

Also, good suggestion with the 21 ux. It has 1200 pixels vertically compared to the 1080 of the 22hd. I looked at all of the specs again, and they most likely decided to keep the 22hd at 1920x1080, so it wouldn't compete with the 24 hd 1920x1200. No one would pay $600 more for a little bit more space, lower luminance, and contrast ratio.

Personally, I'm going to wait for the ViewSonic digitizers to come out, and then measure them against the 21ux - 24 hd without touch. I think I'm against smaller widescreen surfaces because the 12wx still gives me nightmares. You only get about 6 inches of space vertically with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I'm going to wait for the ViewSonic digitizers to come out, and then measure them against the 21ux - 24 hd without touch.

I Wish they'd give a price on the 22! Hopefully it's around 1,500 or less.
    I am anxious to see how it pans out. Anyone seen pix, it comes out this month!? the one I saw (which may not even be it) looked like a big laptop and you had to reach over the keyboard to draw

ViewSonic to challenge Wacom in drawable LCD screens, readying 32-inch pen-on-display

For the growing community of artists and designers that draw directly on touch-sensitive screens, workspace is a major factor, and monitor maker ViewSonic is readying a 32-inch monster.

The company is challenging market leader Wacom, whose largest screens are in the mid 20-inch range but incorporate stronger technology for pen and markup sensitivity. The large ViewSonic display on the Computex show floor responded well to drawing motions and different degrees of pressure, but occasionally missed clicks and swipes.

The company is showing the display at the Computex exhibition running this week in Taiwan. While specifications are still being finalized, it is due to go on sale by the end of August in the U.S., for US$2,999.

"We just started making our own digitizers six months ago," said George Lee, deputy director of the company's consumer electronics division. "This was due to requests from our customers."

The device uses a digital pen, which is rechargeable via a USB cradle and lasts 80 hours per charge. Lee said the monitor will appeal to the traditional graphical market, but it is has also generated interest from companies that use digital contracts, because it can easily capture and save customer signatures digitally.

With this in mind, ViewSonic will market the device at larger companies in industries such as telecommunications, hotels and education.

The company is also showing a smaller, 22-inch pen display that can register both and pen and standard finger gestures, so users can turn to touches and swipes for menu controls, then use a pen for artwork and other finer drawing.

ViewSonic is also demonstrating an interesting 22-inch "smart display" that has a touch screen and runs Android 4.0. It feels a bit like a low-end tablet (that requires a constant power source), but ViewSonic says it is meant more for connecting to cloud applications and virtual desktops, as a type of universal thin client.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Wish they'd give a price on the 22! Hopefully it's around 1,500 or less.
    I am anxious to see how it pans out. Anyone seen pix, it comes out this month!? the one I saw (which may not even be it) looked like a big laptop and you had to reach over the keyboard to draw

ViewSonic to challenge Wacom in drawable LCD screens, readying 32-inch pen-on-display

For the growing community of artists and designers that draw directly on touch-sensitive screens, workspace is a major factor, and monitor maker ViewSonic is readying a 32-inch monster.

The company is challenging market leader Wacom, whose largest screens are in the mid 20-inch range but incorporate stronger technology for pen and markup sensitivity. The large ViewSonic display on the Computex show floor responded well to drawing motions and different degrees of pressure, but occasionally missed clicks and swipes.

The company is showing the display at the Computex exhibition running this week in Taiwan. While specifications are still being finalized, it is due to go on sale by the end of August in the U.S., for US$2,999.

"We just started making our own digitizers six months ago," said George Lee, deputy director of the company's consumer electronics division. "This was due to requests from our customers."

The device uses a digital pen, which is rechargeable via a USB cradle and lasts 80 hours per charge. Lee said the monitor will appeal to the traditional graphical market, but it is has also generated interest from companies that use digital contracts, because it can easily capture and save customer signatures digitally.

With this in mind, ViewSonic will market the device at larger companies in industries such as telecommunications, hotels and education.

The company is also showing a smaller, 22-inch pen display that can register both and pen and standard finger gestures, so users can turn to touches and swipes for menu controls, then use a pen for artwork and other finer drawing.

ViewSonic is also demonstrating an interesting 22-inch "smart display" that has a touch screen and runs Android 4.0. It feels a bit like a low-end tablet (that requires a constant power source), but ViewSonic says it is meant more for connecting to cloud applications and virtual desktops, as a type of universal thin client.

I recall the first time I learned about Cintiqs, or wacom for that matter. It was looking at brochures and such that featured wacom products, or at least their digitizers, in everything from signature panels or point of sale systems. Who knows if that market share still "belongs" to them these days, maybe not.

But all in all it'll be nice for some competition. Honestly the digitizers in the monoprice tablets are really solid. I mean sure the pen doesn't support tilt and shit but the pressure curve feels -so- natural with no tweaks, it's not even funny for a $49 product.

A cintiq is on my horizon, maybe a 2nd gen but for some stupid reason they're just barely cheaper new than the 22s soooooooooooo who knows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
    A cintiq is on my horizon, maybe a 2nd gen but for some stupid reason they're just barely cheaper new than the 22s soooooooooooo who knows.
    My horizon too. I even bought one a month ago and cancelled the order 4 hours later. I would have been ticked when the 22HD came out! Now I am going to wait for the viewsonics and see what they put out. The 22HD is pretty nice, but if I can get a viewsonic for half the price, I may do that. Hopefully they don't uphold the market pricing and put it at 2 grand. That would kill them. They have to undercut if they want to steal from an established monopoly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got my 22hd shipped today. WTF Wacom?! They decided to coat an already questionable screen with the most annoying anti-glare I've seen in a while. I hope my eyes can adjust to the grain. It looks so damn fuzzy. Everything feels great except this damn anti-glare, why the hell would they choose this solution?

Is the 24 HD like this? I know both 21 UX weren't.

www.st-hilaire.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My horizon too. I even bought one a month ago and cancelled the order 4 hours later. I would have been ticked when the 22HD came out! Now I am going to wait for the viewsonics and see what they put out. The 22HD is pretty nice, but if I can get a viewsonic for half the price, I may do that. Hopefully they don't uphold the market pricing and put it at 2 grand. That would kill them. They have to undercut if they want to steal from an established monopoly.
    I'm surprised that they haven't started advertising the two models yet. They can differentiate themselves by using better technology, or pricing their product cheaper. ViewSonic should be able to do this because they manufacture their own monitors, and they actually advance their tech. Honestly though, at the $2,000-3,000 price range for an input device I expect fantastic quality. If it does stay at the same $ level, then I'd love to see more innovation: parallax fix, surface improvements, no screen blurriness because of coating, better res, etc. Overall, just better quality for the $2-3k. I don't know about their manufacturing and operation costs, but the only thing that will push either company forward is competition. It will either happen this year, or next year with the boom of tablets.

Evil_Dan, the 24hd is a bit blurry as well. I don't know whether that's done to minimize eye strain, or related to the material they used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It will either happen this year, or next year with the boom of tablets.

Evil_Dan, the 24hd is a bit blurry as well. I don't know whether that's done to minimize eye strain, or related to the material they used.

BRING IT ON!!! According to the report, it is at the end of this month!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's blurry b/c the resolution sucks and the matte coating diffuses huge pixels! It's criminal to use "hd" in the sense of 1080p "hd" video. These screens aren't televisions wacom! They get viewed from less than a foot. At least Apple is honest with how they qualify a display as "retina"...

Still, cintiq's are fun. Just don't expect it to actually be high definition for how it's used, unless you're just going to watch cartoons on it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by James Thornton View Post
    Still, cintiq's are fun. Just don't expect it to actually be high definition for how it's used, unless you're just going to watch cartoons on it...
    I didn't think of that! My son is 8 and LOVES to trace with tracing paper. I bet he'd love to screenshot batman and trace him on a layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm, with all the talk about the screen being slightly brighter, but still fuzzy, maybe I'll just wait around until everyone's got their hands on a 22hd, and the people trying to sell the 21ux can't call down nearly 2K for them anymore.

Then I will pounce.
    Then I will feast.

Or just ragequit ebay when I realize the price stabilizes. ::crosses fingers::

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
    Hmmmm, with all the talk about the screen being slightly brighter, but still fuzzy, maybe I'll just wait around until everyone's got their hands on a 22hd, and the people trying to sell the 21ux can't call down nearly 2K for them anymore.

Then I will pounce.
    Then I will feast.

Or just ragequit ebay when I realize the price stabilizes. ::crosses fingers::
    there is still a few places selling the 21ux second generation for 1700. its not great but its better then 2000. I paid 1700 and got free speakers with it from newegg. Second generation refurbished have been popping up here and there for 1600. that should push used second generation down to 1300 or so on ebay.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The screen its no problem for me, after all its not glass, and i dont like glare. What its good its that consumes less energy like the small cintiq 12wx. Finally doesnt heat up, im using the first cintiq and after a while my eyes get dry, and heat its intense.

Also no more fan noise. Because it doesnt use. The new contrast must be a blessing, cant wait to do the jump.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Elsevilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there has been alot of listings for the 24HD on ebay. makes me wonder if people are downgrading to the 22HD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a comparison here:
    http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cin...%20Models.aspx

interestingly enough when I look at the comparison, the 22 is right in line with the 24 now except for contrast. 22 beats all the other models there, and is tiltable.
    Contrast ratio
    24 touch 850:1
    24 hd550:1
    22hd 1000:1 (typ), 600:1 (min)

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot coming out with the 24 and then trumping it 6 months later with a cheaper model...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last year I decided the 24HD was too much for me (too much money, too much weight, too much heat) so I upgraded to an Intuos4 instead.

Now, I'm considering the 22HD. It's less expensive. It's significantly lighter; and it supposedly creates less heat (due to lower power consumption, I'm guessing). It sounds like a great product.

I just wish I could see one on display somewhere before I buy. The trouble is that no retailer around here can justify the shelf/display space for a niche-market product like this. Also, I don't know of any other designers/illustrators in my area who are using it - so I can't invite myself over for a test drive.

The closest place to go check one out would probably be Seattle or Portland, but that means a 5 - 7 hour drive, respectively (I live in Spokane).

It's a lot of money to spend for a product I "might" like, sight unseen.

EDIT TO ADD: By the way, here is a review I found for the 22HD. It's the only review I could find with sufficient details.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to sigmadog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    Last year I decided the 24HD was too much for me (too much money, too much weight, too much heat) so I upgraded to an Intuos4 instead.

Now, I'm considering the 22HD. It's less expensive. It's significantly lighter; and it supposedly creates less heat (due to lower power consumption, I'm guessing). It sounds like a great product.

I just wish I could see one on display somewhere before I buy. The trouble is that no retailer around here can justify the shelf/display space for a niche-market product like this. Also, I don't know of any other designers/illustrators in my area who are using it - so I can't invite myself over for a test drive.

The closest place to go check one out would probably be Seattle or Portland, but that means a 5 - 7 hour drive, respectively (I live in Spokane).

EDIT TO ADD: By the way, here is a review I found for the 22HD. It's the only review I could find with sufficient details.

One of the things that stuck out for me in that review is the actual working height. its barely a sheet of paper tall. I dont think id like that. the regular 21ux is at least twice as tall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    One of the things that stuck out for me in that review is the actual working height. its barely a sheet of paper tall. I dont think id like that. the regular 21ux is at least twice as tall.

22HD Active Area 19.5" W x 11.5" H
    It's the same size as the monitor I am using for work right now.

the UX is not that different: Active area 17.0 x 12.75 in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suspect the 22HD would fit into my workflow a lot easier than the 24HD. I currently use two screens (2 x 23" Apple Cinema Displays), which I find very handy for my non-illustration work (graphic design, minor web development, etc.) and at only 17lbs, the 22HD looks like it could (more) easily be set to the side when I'm working on something other than illustration.

At over 60lbs., the 24HD would be a pain in the butt to move.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    I have a cintiq 21ux and its not twice tall, not even on wide screen its like 1/8 taller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post

The screen its awesome i saw it in the convention, i mean the light at the con was really to a maximum and i can see the blacks on the screen so easily, in my old 21ux i have to work in a really dark room just to get same tones.

But i think it will be worth it to do that drive man, specially if you can buy it with no dead pixels.

Another thing to mention about this screen its that doesnt uses mercury, they say after a time of usage in mercury screens starts to get out in form of gas.

So its good for enviroment that doesnt use it anymore.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Elsevilla For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7