Experimenting - What do you think?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Experimenting - What do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Experimenting - What do you think?

Haven't drawn digitally for a considerable amount of time. I'm still far from working with a stable and comfortable style, I'm only a beginner after all.
    This simple piece kind of bothers me. It feels really unfinished. What do you think? What could I do to better up the composition?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, aside the "learn the basics first and style after that" thing that can be said here (like how her eye doesn't seem to fit her eyelid and her lips just "continue" instead of having believable structure of a lip), I think the unfinished look comes from the fact that there really isn't anything "real" going on in this image. Like the background doesn't feel like some very light area (like a brightly lit wall for example), it feels empty and backgroundless. The lighting on her hair and on her face don't really relate to anything real (like I can't tell where the light is supposed to be coming from) or show structure and there's no shape to her mouth or jaw even though you've shaded her nose etc.

Don't just draw a face on a blank background, draw a face that exists somewhere inside the anime universe the girl is occupying.

Last edited by TinyBird; July 27th, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: whoops, wrote "black" instead of "blank"
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1