Picture for scholarship, help would be most appreciated!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow How she lookin'?

Hey guys! I'm working on this image for the Illuxcon Scholarship. It's still pretty rough and I'm playing around with different edges, finishes and working with the lighting. I was wondering what I could do to improve this piece.

Any little tidbits are more than appreciated, they're devoured.

Thanks for looking!

Name:  Gateway.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  89.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If this is digital (looks like it), throw a layer on top of this and see if you can draw the outlines of her nude body, including interior shapes. That should help you firm up the drawing underneath. Probably because you've been working in silhouette, you've lost control of the underlying structure. (Examples: right breast larger than left, pelvis off center).

After that, have a look at some drapery studies for getting that hem to flow right.

Good luck!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like her subtle twisting pose. However, it looks like she's looking off into the distance at nothing. That is probly realistic, but as the viewer, it confuses me and loses my interest, because I don't know what she's looking at. I would much prefer to see her looking at the foreground figure. Maybe you could flip her horizontally and that would do the trick!

She also looks to be maybe 5 heads tall. That may be ok for a short woman in reality, but it looks weird on paper. Try making her 6 heads tall and see if you like it. If you want to make her truly heroic looking, try 7 heads tall.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: GET REFERENCE FOR EVERYTHING.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Picture for scholarship, help would be most appreciated!

This is for the illuxcon scholarship and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  Gateway.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  108.1 KB

Last edited by AngeliqueBenrahou; July 27th, 2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Posting image smaller

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Please post it smaller.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From the looks of they are wearing a mask,which is attached to the neck?

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And you already had a thread that you could have just updated: conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245133

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good point, merged.
    (And thanks for resizing.)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Considering that it's for Illuxcon, I would say you should focus on the narrative of the image and make sure that your message/concept is coming through. Right now I really have no idea what you're trying to say, but it looks like you're trying to say something. The arms could use more anatomical structure (right now they feel very round, like the limbs of a stuffed animal with no skeletal structure underneath), the hands are missing altogether, and her upper body is a bit large proportionally compared to her legs. The perspective of the ground plane and back leg is also a bit confusing. Get out a mirror or a camera and see if you can do this pose, sticking one leg behind you without bending it or the foot. It looks like her back heel is very slightly off the ground, but I don't think it's enough based on how far back in space it looks. For the ground plane, I think the problem is you laid this texture on top without taking into account how angled that plane is from our point of view. It looks okay on the wall plane directly facing us, but the planes of the doorway slanted away from us and the floor appear distorted because the texture on top is flat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Considering that it's for Illuxcon, I would say you should focus on the narrative of the image and make sure that your message/concept is coming through. Right now I really have no idea what you're trying to say, but it looks like you're trying to say something. The arms could use more anatomical structure (right now they feel very round, like the limbs of a stuffed animal with no skeletal structure underneath), the hands are missing altogether, and her upper body is a bit large proportionally compared to her legs. The perspective of the ground plane and back leg is also a bit confusing. Get out a mirror or a camera and see if you can do this pose, sticking one leg behind you without bending it or the foot. It looks like her back heel is very slightly off the ground, but I don't think it's enough based on how far back in space it looks. For the ground plane, I think the problem is you laid this texture on top without taking into account how angled that plane is from our point of view. It looks okay on the wall plane directly facing us, but the planes of the doorway slanted away from us and the floor appear distorted because the texture on top is flat.
    Wow! Awesome critique! Thank you so much for the feedback. I'll work on understanding the perspective, I was worried about the texture looking too flat. I'll work on the proportions too. I did paint the hands but added the glowy orbs to show her magic. I wanted to convey the idea that someone "summoned" her and that was a mistake. Maybe I could show her holding a skull or something, or one of the monsters from her hair about to leap and bite the foreground person.

Again, thank you so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 776 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking a little closer at it, I can see the upper hand a little, but it's pretty hard to see. I would pull back on the glow on both of them, especially the lower one because right now it kind of looks like you're trying to cover them up. And btw that upper hand is looking a bit small; the general rule is that your hand should almost be as long as your face (from chin to hairline). I thought you might be going for a summoning scene, but tbh it took me a while to notice the book in the lower figure's hands; it's quite small and tucked away in the corner. I didn't get that the main figure was evil or dangerous perhaps because she's glowing white and yellow which felt holy to me. I get what you were going for now with the figure ominously shadowed filling the doorway, but I think you need to push the evil/threatening aspect; the face might be a good place to start. She has kind of a blank, peaceful look going on, maybe narrow the eyes and dip the eyebrows. Angling the face down towards the seated figure might also make her feel more threatening. Just my 2 cents ofc

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.