Encounter
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Encounter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Encounter

Seeking advice on foreshortening and the over all composition of this artwork.

Anyone that has a strong visual library for dragons and their anatomical makeup.. I would love to hear your thoughts. Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Most eyes skip the details... But its worth putting in the effort for the ones that appreciate it."
    Kimi-Yoshi Aoki.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dragon is quite central at the moment which leaves a lot of empty space on the top right. If you move it to the left it could fix that and also make it look as though he's looking at the figure on the right (he's currently looking off the right side of the page). You could also crop off the left.

These two are minor but the sword might be better if pointed at the dragon, not only would that help lead the eye to the dragon but it would also make it a bit more visible where it is currently a bit lost. The shield looks odd, try moving it down and toward his body as well as fixing the lighting on his right arm (the shield should block the reflections and darken it.

It looks awesome though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try Lhune she knows dragons.
    looks badass to me, i just wonder what could that tiny man possibly do to fight something that big, its like a guy trying to kill a pyroclastic flow or a whole volcano with a sword and shield.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LJFHutch - I like your hint with the sword I'm going to revisit his silhouette at some point so will will keep what you've said in mind

Kendall - hahaha! yep he's definitely up shit creek without a paddle. id still place my bets on 'David' winning tho

"Most eyes skip the details... But its worth putting in the effort for the ones that appreciate it."
    Kimi-Yoshi Aoki.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks promising. The dragon's neck seems short. I think the composition is good as it is. Upper right doesn't feel empty to me. Wish I could help more!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dragon's body from the below the shoulders and onward can be pushed further into the background with some atmospheric perspective. If the dragon is that large you wouldn't expect its whole body to occupy the same 'vertical visual plane' (if that makes any sense). Anatomy wise, I feel there might be a bit too much sudden twist in the torso. Map out the ribcage, pelvis and spine to make sure no turn between vertebrae is too sharp. You should also note that the dragon isn't looking directly at the hero if that was your intention.

The bigger issue is that the hero is currently lost in the rock range. The top of the rocks lines up with the top of his head, and value-wise they are very similar. You either need a value, or spatial distinction between the two. You should be able to read an element that important from a thumbnail-sized image.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can just use google images if you need to find reference... its a good idea to look at skeletons of dinosaurs, birds, bats, reptiles and goats, Dragons(Not Kamodo Dragons) are Mythical creatures so they don't have special anatomy that defines them which is why they look different across media and culture.

Composition wise the only thing that really bothers me aside form what already said is the lighting, for some reason it doesn't reach the rocks on the right side of the hero but does reach the rocks closer to us on the left so all of that makes for less separation of the hero from the background.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.