Sketchbook: Luther Taylor's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Luther Taylor's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook, Luther. You have a lot of great studies in here. Some of your anatomy studies look familiar, what book are you using? Is one of them Civardi's Drawing the Human Body?

Anyways, keep it up!

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I will respond individual to you in your sketchbooks!

Decided I'm going to start fooling around with traditional mediums from now on as I seem to learn and hence remember much more than when i do digital studies! I also feel that being good in a traditional medium will show my true worth as an artist. Your drawing skills with a pencil alone are fundamental though, if you can draw like a master in pencil, than all everything else is just a matter of getting use to the medium you use. The first portrait I did in acrylics! I wasn't vying for accuracy, just trying to get used to acrylics with a touch of retarder medium! and also doing some more landscape gestures! they really take a lot out of me!

Last edited by luthertaylor; October 28th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you using traditional mediums Luther.

With portraits I find it helpful to think in terms of doing a head study, rather than attempting a portrait. Hold off drawing the features for as long as possible, aim to get the big relationships relativity correct first, then move onto finer details. I feel that with the portrait above maybe there is too much focus on colour, not enough on creating a cohesive pattern of light and dark. Try using a marker and just draw heads based on their shadow pattern, like you'd see in old style comic books (I think I saw this exercise in a James Gurney book), it really helps to see the head as a mass, rather than a collection of features.

As for the landscapes, I'd say simplify them, maybe use a limited range of tones, say 3 or 5. If you draw landscapes with simplicity in mind, i'd bet it will be easier to think in terms of composition (stop me if i'm sprouting nonsense)

You can ignore this advice if you like, as I haven't got extensive experience, haha

Looking forward to seeing more

art blog: http://hrartwork.blogspot.co.uk/

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mana16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blackswan hey swan, thanks for the tips it sounds like you are on to something there, I agree with what you say, doing landscapes even more simpler than this would help in composition and I like the tip you mentioned on blocking in masses of the head with a black marker! definitely gotta give that a shot.

you are correct about the study above, My focus was on colour, primarily because I made such a fail of it in the initial stage of (as you correctly stated) blocking in first! , the colours were way off due to my colour mixing and i was like shit! gotta correct that before I move forward etc it was a battle, colour mixing is definitly a skill of its own I have to learn. with watercolours I dont push to achieve the exact colour as I know it will dry lighter and that has hindered me in true colour mixing. I may just practice for a while just making colour swatches of what I see instead of trying to do a study right off the bat. I like to do stuff Alla Prima so i don't do under paintings and what not. just block in with correct colours and work my way smaller. I'm digitally spoilt as that is how i learnt to do things digitally xD

I'm talking too much! here is a study of a friend of mine done digitally this time round as I haven't really been doing much digital studies really. it's actually been a long while.
    I'm still modelling at the LARA so my time for practice has gone down dang ah well, need the money.
    Photoshop 1 layer

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some of your sketches on page 2, I see you add shadings next to the drawing to define a darker background. If you do that, make it darker and larger to add more dept. Otherwise leave them away.
    on this page:
    the paintings: watch out for the shapes and depth, especially on the toilet roll.
    the landscape drawings are really nice! Love them!
    the digital painting: the clavicle might be drawn a bit harsh, and some areas a bit sloppy, but I really like the color you used for the skin! It also complements well with the blu of the shirt. A bit cleaning up some lines and this one is great!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xNatje For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool updates man keep it up and post more stuff

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With watercolours you wouldn't be able to get the exact tone you see in life, simply because the range isn't there,the lighter your hand the better- things can get muddy pretty quickly. What's important is getting the relative relationships right between tones and colours, you can have a high key drawing that doesn't reflect the true values on the subject, but still works because the values relate to one another correctly. I hope that makes sense.

Acrylics would probably be the best place to start, or oils if you get a good book on the materials, watercolours are difficult to use. Also, it might improve your paintings if you do a basic block in of the masses (shadow areas, dominant lines you can see etc.) and paint on top of that, it wouldn't have to be anything complicated.

The latest portrait has some nice qualities to it, i like how you've rendered the skin- also, interesting hairstyle

"Don't worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do" Robert Henri

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mana16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it is good that you do traditional and digital. One aspect that speaks for digital is that it is less messy and after the intial set up cost, it is cheaper than having to invest
    in new canvasīand oils and acrylics all the time. Just my two cents. I am looking forward to see more of your work. Cheerio

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didnīt come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The traditional stuff is really good it help you when your doing your digital stuff too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FatMoStank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! Will drop by your sketchbooks in a mo' for thanks and critique.

I'm still modelling at the Atelier school, so unfortunately can't draw as much as I want but thankfully the money I am earning is helping me fund my living costs so I can continue my intensive self study when I finish without worrying about money for a good while. less Stress but family is a different matter all together.

here are a few watercolor paintings, 2 sargent studies and 2 imaginative sketches no reference in that order. each study was about 2 hours or so the first one i took the picture before i decided to finish blocking in the background, but too lazy to retake the picture. Ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The recent portraits are excellent (top two of the latest post), really good, keep up the good work

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mana16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow great stuff buddy. love ur watercolor drawings !!! KEEP IT UP YEA what an adventure haha

Sketchb88k

Book Eight (tumblr blog)

Instagram

Twitter

DeviantArt

Kik: tony_eight

21. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Eight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work with the traditional media good eye for colour

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys! will check your stuff out!!
    completely taking advantage of my pc before it breaks down again to update a bit on what I been doing. been working with oil paints lately.
    alkyd oils to be precise. odds and ends abound, and sorry for the quality, shit phone camera and no scanner. gonna be investing in a quality photographers camera soon!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for the detailed post in my sketchbook much appreciated. You doing any life drawing at the mo or using mainly photo ref for your figure studies. Any way I think it helps to tray and break the body down into masses and then reconstruct. So study the different part the legs, arms and back ect so you know whats going on under skin. Use that knowledge to inform your mark making and any rendering. Look out for key shapes in the muscles or landmarks that tie parts of the body together. Think you should do some longer pencil render studies. So you can you build up tone and values gradually to force you to think about the lights and darks and give yourself time to describe form as you are rendering. Anyway keep up the hard work def be back.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good good! You are improving so fast. I like the last post very much.
    Just do as much stuff from life as you can and watch your values. Try to increase range of values by pressing the pencil bit more in darkest areas. You will see that you will get much richer darks which will do wonders.

Keep it up and thanks for dropping by my thread.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merl1n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! woa! i really like your most recent batch of live-model drawings! agh it gives me the itch! too bad for me, i can't right now, but yay you!

just as merl1n said, deeper value range is cool!

take a peek at my SKETCHBOOK?

die angenehmen Ungeheuer

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AngeUnge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey. Long time since i last here and wow, you're working hard, i see. That's good. I can see good improvement and I like the paintings.
    You're on the right track, keep going

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

32. The Following User Says Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Your aquarelle portraits are amaazing! Good to see you're still at it and very disciplined. Keep updating!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Purim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude i'm really digging those oil paintings, keep them coming!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Yemi775 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude this is super. How long have you been painting? Also have you tried drawing with a pen? it's a bit more difficult but trains the mind to make marks that matter. I could explain the whole thing but I am already sure you figured out what I mean.

See you around!

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Eternal Apprentice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very nice stuff, seeing the leap of progress from the first page to here shows your dedication; keep at it and who knows what you could end up doing

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Thistlegorm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Gosh! haven't been on here for ages and I get all these posts! so sorry for not replying, thank you for the posts everyone! I'm gonna be an ass here and not answer any questions as it's been a while but will try to drop by your sketchbooks asap.
    here's a relatively small update from what I have been up to of late, oil painting studies. uploaded in chronlogical order of completion. after those there's a digital portrait up and then a digital sketch from imagination. enjoy....in truth..I find CA completely time consuming on somedays.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, why not. I love that interior painting, the one with the orange door. And that Sargent study came up well too.
    Few tips:
    Use larger brushes. Especially in your digital stuff. That will force you to simplify.
    Use bigger amounts of colors. To the point when you end up with passages made of thick textural brushtrokes.
    I noticed that your colors are bit muddy. Clean your brushes and pallete often. I have 5-6 brushes for each painting. One for whites, one for darks and others for everything between.

See you around,
    Tom

43. The Following User Says Thank You to merl1n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v nice traditional stuff!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Slight sketch dump

Felt compelled to post some stuff since my last visit. these just happen to be on my computer. The oil paintings are done in one sitting. "alla Prima", charcoal ones too.
    I'm not motivated to keep up posting here but thank you for looking.
    Name:  251064_10150633826250026_8277521_n.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  145.3 KBName:  tomb raider.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  168.9 KBName:  sdsd.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  151.2 KBName:  photo02.jpg
Size:  213.5 KBName:  photo01.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  245.7 KBName:  Luther Deviant ID.jpg
Size:  111.4 KBName:  IMG_0722.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  219.5 KBName:  IMG_0721.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  220.5 KBName:  Bar.jpg
Size:  191.8 KBName:  IMG_0606.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  490.5 KBName:  IMG_0604.JPG
Size:  459.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good oil portraits! I especially love the one above.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to jorvaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jorvaa thank you

quick sketches.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  161.8 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  270.4 KBName:  003.jpg
Size:  478.2 KBName:  004.jpg
Size:  267.0 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  353.6 KBName:  006.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  363.7 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  397.6 KB

Last edited by luthertaylor; March 27th, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It takes some time do go through your sketchbook, but it's fun to watch the improvement.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Donald R. Green For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, man! I think it's great you're sticking with traditional over digital for the most part. One thing I've noticed you haven't done much of is perspective/construction drawing, which you really should take a good amount of time to get comfortable with.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to MrFrenik For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2