Color and Value

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Color and Value

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color and Value

My issue is quite simple and most likely a very common problem for the complete novice.

I am finding it quite difficult to distinguish value when looking at objects in color, its obviously alot easier when working with pictures, because of being able to desaturate the image, but when studying life, well its not that easy.

Are there any sort of exercises we can do to develop this ability to judge value from color?

Would appreciate some advice on how to approach this issue.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try this exercise: get a photo of a simple object. draw/paint it. then once u done , convert the photo to black and white. Check how close your drawing/painting are to the b/w photo. Do plenty of this and i'm sure u'll improve. Oh as u getting better ,move on to the more complicated stuffs...hope this helps

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KC_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was gunna say yellows are kinda lighter and blues are kinda darker but then I did this test in Photoshop and my head asploded.

Who would have thought that yellow would be so dark grey? Now I want an answer to this question too XD

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

6. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You just de-saturated it, Use gray scale conversion for a better outcome.

This is not directed at the people in this thread but it bears repeating since it illuminates a problem I see all the time. Reliance on technology for answers. Cameras make lousy substitutes for human eyes and computers are lousy substitutes for human brains. It seems like they are better but that is only ignorance. The tech most people have access to are worse so they make really poor learning tools.

If you want to learn to draw and paint do it traditionally, it takes longer and is harder because you are actually gaining a skill instead of pretending to have ability that you don't have with software and hardware helping you

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dpaint; July 26th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Get this.
    Read the book.
    Assemble the charts.
    Do the exercises.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    You just de-saturated it, Use gray scale conversion for a better outcome.

This is not directed at the people in this thread but it bears repeating since it illuminates a problem I see all the time. Reliance on technology for answers. Cameras make lousy substitutes for human eyes and computers are lousy substitutes for human brains. It seems like they are better but that is only ignorance. The tech most people have access to are worse so they make really poor learning tools.

If you want to learn to draw and paint do it traditionally, it takes longer and is harder because you are actually gaining a skill instead of pretending to have ability that you don't have with software and hardware helping you
    God dammit it, i knew it didn't look right... lol

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 332 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    1. Buy, or better still make a greyscale of nine perfectly evenly spaced and numbered steps (or seven or eleven steps - the odd number is important so that you have a middle grey).

2. Practice analyzing scenes in terms of those values. Decide what component of the scene needs to be near-white and what needs to be near-black, and then what component would you want to make a middle or number 5 grey, and then a number 7 grey, so on. Squint!

3. Mix up pools of paint of each of the greys (or a greyscale palette if you work digitally) and then test and if necessary correct your decisions by making a thumbnail sketch.

4. Repeat until you can confidently see scenes in terms of these value steps.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dpaint: I have to agree with you about the technology getting in the way, ive been putting the tablet aside and just getting back to the basics with the pen and paper, the beauty of using the pen and paper is that I can go just about anywhere with them.

This is actually one of the reasons why I asked the question about perceiving value in colors, because in real life, with eyes that can register color, we cannot put a b&w filter over the top of everything to check value, one is forced to develop the capacity to perceive the value, unfortunately at this stage im not there yet, because the colors throw off my sense of seeing value for the most part, unless its really bright or really dark.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TopSecret View Post
    This is actually one of the reasons why I asked the question about perceiving value in colors, because in real life, with eyes that can register color, we cannot put a b&w filter over the top of everything to check value, one is forced to develop the capacity to perceive the value, unfortunately at this stage im not there yet, because the colors throw off my sense of seeing value for the most part, unless its really bright or really dark.
    Actually you can. There are a number of products that will reduce a scene to relative values...usually just amberlith mounted in a matte frame. Here's one: ValueComp from Artwork Essentials.

Squinting helps to see value and diminish detail.

Another trick is to "relax" your eyes from intense focus and let them sort of freely bounce around a scene - eventually your eyes will start hitting on the darkest darks in the view.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would never never never trust a colored filter to give me accurate values. If that did work, 3D movies wouldn't.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I would never never never trust a colored filter to give me accurate values. If that did work, 3D movies wouldn't.
    while i agree on the first statement, thats exactly the reason 3d movies actually do work. without the filters it would be nothing than a dizzying mess of visual impressions.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't either...just saying they're out there. They do however reduce the scene to relative values.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Jeff just stated, I also find that it helps to squint and unfocus your eyes when perceiving values from life. Unfocus isn't an actual word but blur sounds a little too extreme, I suppose "blur slightly" haha

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Oceanic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    while i agree on the first statement, thats exactly the reason 3d movies actually do work. without the filters it would be nothing than a dizzying mess of visual impressions.
    My point is that a colored filter will raise the values of colors similar in hue, and lower the values of colors opposite in hue. That's how anaglyph 3D works.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PyramidVega View Post
    As Jeff just stated, I also find that it helps to squint and unfocus your eyes when perceiving values from life. Unfocus isn't an actual word but blur sounds a little too extreme, I suppose "blur slightly" haha
    I just take off my glasses and get instant extreme blur. Great way to simplify a scene.

Now if only I could actually see what I'm doing without my glasses...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff, thank you for bringing up the squinting technique, so simple yet effective.. and free!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to copaloro For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3