Sketchbook: Clayton Barton Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clayton Barton Sketchbook

Last edited by claytonbarton; August 13th, 2014 at 07:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also did recordings for both works if you guys are interested.

http://youtu.be/E0ImZFPZZRk

http://youtu.be/kLR03s3T-Ak

It would be good to hear some feedback in regards to my workflow and technique. I'm sure there is always room for improvement so any advice or tips are always appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, nice sketchbook ! i find your designs are really good ! the only thing to say for me is that i kinda find that your characters lack of " solidity/weight " if you know what i mean, it's quite hard to explain, since english isn't my native language ! anyway, hope you understand, keep it up dude !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally i love the character designs,seeing that we are all artist we all know we to push our selves.

Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another art work. Still on the long, never ending road of the evolving artist, refining my style and work flow. Not sure if I'm happy with it, but I do know that with every new work I learn so much more. Connecting colours with value seems to be a major hurtle for me, along with lighting intensity (how intense to make highlights or shadows.). I'm slowly joining the dots though and I am confident that the effort I put in will continue to pay off.
    As always, I appreciate all your feedback and advice. There are some amazingly talented people on here who I'm hoping I can learn some valuable lessons from. Thanks to those who have taken a look at my work and given me some tips on where I can improve. Honestly it's hard to spot where I'm going wrong at times, so another pair of eyes goes a long way, especially when they are unbiased.

Here is the video recording for 'Domina'. The painting took about 6 and a half hours real time, using Photoshop and a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. There's a quick rundown of my process in the description. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/3IXWkp9BUYA

Domina3.jpg

320525_283601221670810_454298644_n.jpg

Last edited by claytonbarton; February 24th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been trying to focus on my color theory as of late. It's tricky business but I'm hoping with some practice I'll manage to get my head around this once and for all. Color is probably one of the main points I get stuck on when it comes to painting, I can work in grey scale value just fine, but with color I am stumped. I'm getting the hang of it I think, although any advice you guys might have to offer on areas I can improve is always welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by claytonbarton; October 4th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Over the last week or so I've made it a point to face my fears and look them dead in the face - Color, Lighting and Environment Art. It can be intimidating, trying to become good at something you've always struggled with and never really understood. Of course I knew the basic gist of these subjects, knew the theory, watched the video tutorials by masters of the subject such as Feng Zhu and Scott Drake, but this alone cannot improve one's practical skills and unfortunately I never really took the time to bite the bullet, and really sit down and put the information I'd gathered into practice. There's no way around it. If you want to be good at something (which I did desperately want) you have to practice it, and make the mistakes you need to make in order to learn and get better.

Well, although my progress has not been astounding, it is still progress and a big leap from where I left off in my eyes. I hope to practice more of these environment speed paints, along with the lighting setups and color - Wish me luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post more. These color studies and environments are looking great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on some more environments. Still quite speedy, haven't spent too much time adding in details yet. I guess that's what I need to work on next.

Environments 3.jpg

I've been designing some new characters for Cradle (soon I'll have to change that name due to the discovery of another game holding the same title). I've dubbed this guy the Muntkey. He used to be a monkey before the virus took control and made him nothing more then a base host from which the virus would biologically evolve into an entirely new alien species. The Muntkey however is more intelligent then most of the infected, hunting in packs and strategically organizing tactics to sniff out their prey and fend off other predators out of their territory. A new standard of intelligence among the infected is beginning to peak it's head, and as evolution takes hold on the wretched creatures they will become more smarter, capable and dangerous.
    Had to go through some changes with this character before I reached the final concept art design (and there may still possibly be more designs iterations to come). Originally I found that he looked a little too much like a monkey, there were no real standout features, other then a few blistering boils, basically looked like your average zombie monkey... But I wanted more then that for the Muntkey. I wanted this creature to look as though it had been taken over and modified, not just on the surface, but as if the entire structure of the original creature itself had been distorted into something else. I wanted it to look alien, yet at the same time, still relatable to a primate. I do hope I've achieved that. I am a lot more happier with this new design, it's captured a lot more accurately what I wanted to go for.

Cradle - Muntky Final.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been a while since I posted on here, so thought it was about time to throw something up. Nothing special, just a quick painting demo I created, going over same basic face construction and painting techniques. All up this one took about an hour and a half to finish. Hoping to start updating this thread a little more regularly then I have been lately. Unfortunately work and looming deadlines have taken priority already this year.

Simone - LowRes.jpg

Check out the video tutorial at - http://youtu.be/tL_BsnHg9eA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick character concept this time. Gave my self about 2 hours on this one.

speed_painting_tutorial___goblin_huntress_by_claytonbarton-d5w9tvk.jpg

Speed Paint video here - http://youtu.be/9nJBoU1ZDGQ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new character concept I came up with today. This time an evil warlock sent from the deepest pits of the underworld with the soul mission to reek havoc on the higher planes with the dark and powerful magic he possesses. He is all but immortal, except for the one thing that would bring an end to his destruction; his own cursed dagger, held tightly within his grasp, filled with the tears of countless lost souls...

Done in just under 3 hours, using Photoshop CS6
    Video http://youtu.be/G0BTyHYG1XM

Assassin Wizard - Small.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great designs and enviros. Will keep an eye. Cheers.

Please visit , comment , critique and have a chat with me

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My newest tentilizing addition. She's an involuntary malevolent entity, who does the bidding of an alien parasite that slowly infests it's host until it embodies it completely.

Tentalising.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 332 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice looking work in many ways! If you want to get your flesh colours more realistic, you should introduce more chromatic variation, with subtly redder, yellower, greyer and lighter (glossy) variants at every level of illumination. Without these, figures tend to look a bit like plastic or cartoony. Have you done plenty of painting from actual figures (and still life, and landscape)? That's really essential for putting the colour theory to work.

Otherwise all I can recommend is that you always keep a close eye on the logic of the light (though I realize that the little study I tinkered with was only a quickie!).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great advice briggsy@ashtons. Really helpful. I haven't done as much colour study from reference as I should have, most of the studies have consisted of black and white photography for learning values which have actually really helped me out to that end. You're right though, more colour studies from life will defiantly help with the level that I'm at.

For anyone who's interested I popped up a video of the Tentilize piece I posted a few days ago. http://youtu.be/dnZBzcu43_s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some environment demos I've been working on. Didn't spend too long on these. It's been a while since I've worked on environment stuff, but I think over the next few weeks I'll keep busting these out for practice. I don't want to just restrict myself to characters, so the environments are going to need a little attention too.

Evironment 1a.jpg

Evironment 2a.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since I sat down and did a study from reference, so I thought it was about time to catch up on some practice. One of my first attempts at emulating colour from a reference, because colour is a bit of a sticking point for me I wanted to focus on that rather then just rendering different lighting values in black and white.

Pinky Girl ParacticeSmall.jpg

Last edited by claytonbarton; March 30th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some environment concept art I've been working on. Getting more comfortable with environments now which is great.

Evironments 7 small.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bunch of video tutorials and demos showing my design process. I'm pretty sure these go over the last few works I've posted up on here. For anyone who's interested.

Demos
    Domina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IXWk...ffsHQp6mScM9Tg
    Speed Paint Tutorial - Simone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_Bs...ffsHQp6mScM9Tg
    Speed Painting Tutorial - Goblin Huntress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nJBo...ffsHQp6mScM9Tg
    Wizard Assassin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0BTy...ffsHQp6mScM9Tg

Tutorials
    Tentilize Video Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnZBz...ffsHQp6mScM9Tg
    Environment Tutorial 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laD7R...ffsHQp6mScM9Tg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A speed painting exercise, this time of Danny Treyjo, again focusing on colours from reference.

Danny Trejo - Small.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was looking for some study reference, to keep my painting and color skills up to scratch and with the new season of Games of Thrones just being released, you can guess what came to mind. I'm thinking I'll do a few of these.

Eddard Stark.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely designs, dont have any crits more than keep posting. Looks great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new speed painting based on Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man, definitely see some influence from "The Darkness" comic im not sure who the artist is but the style or subject matter is really similar, looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alias Concept - A new character design I've come up with for a friends novel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Val Halor - Alias. A visual representation of a character in my friend's novel.

Alias Pinup23.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing some really great stuff! Your brush work and style is really nice and your concept of color is really coming along. Nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't had a chance to upload one of these in a while, but I had a bit of time to get some painting practice in today. The rock god, Manson himself.

Manson - Speed Paint.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dormant Ark - LEF Scientist - Female

The LEF Science division ('L'unar 'E'xploration 'F'action) spend up to half a decade away from their homes and families, dedicating that time to their otherworldly passions. Committed to their work, the highly motivated team set out to explore undiscovered areas of the Moon's Lunar surface, mapping out new coordinates in search for possible life forms, and natural resources that might see the moon someday harbor a possible colony.

Dormant Ark - LEF Scientist - Female_02.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13