Painter 12 & Mountain Lion Issues

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter 12 & Mountain Lion Issues

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion earlier today and the brushes in Painter 12 appear to be very unhappy as a result. I was previously using Snow Leopard and the brushes were quite smooth, even at large sizes or using Impasto brushes. I never really had any issues.. (I rarely even crashed!) Now even the most simple small brushes are acting really jerky and sort of skipping. (Almost like when you're watching a video online and it starts skipping frames, then it tries to catch up, if that makes sense?)

I know it's not tablet drivers because I tested in Photoshop, and that's working perfectly. (A bit better than it was before, actually. It's handling larger brushes much better now. Perfectly smooth, no issues.)

Just curious if any other Mac users made the upgrade today and are having similar issues? I've been trying to hunt around the net, but it's still fairly early so there's nothing posted yet.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can you back up your custom painter assets (brushes, papers, keyboard shortcuts, etc., just don't go for export a workspace only option) and perform a factory reset? (hold shift while launching painter and follow on screen instructions)

there might be some mountain-lion specific lag that is not yet addressed by corel though.
    right now, looks like snow leopard is the most trouble-free OS for painter.

Last edited by ikken; July 26th, 2012 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try doing that -- I'll give it a shot. (Hopefully it helps!)

As I said in the other thread, I keep hoping they'll announce a 64bit Mac version soon.. But I won't hold my breath at this point. I'm surprised with how many people use Macs for graphic work that they're not more on the ball with things in that camp. (I'm actually a bit peeved by it. I paid just as much for my version of Painter as the Windows people did, after all.. Should be equal benefits.)

Ah well. Whatever. Hopefully a refresh helps and at least makes the program usable again!

Last edited by Riley Stark; July 26th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am actually struggling to start Painter 12 after I installed Mountain Lion. Keep getting error 20, and though I have tried all suggestions I have found on PainterFactory, it still gives me same crap Guess I will have to use PS until it works again. so so sad

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Stark View Post
    As I said in the other thread, I keep hoping they'll announce a 64bit Mac version soon.. But I won't hold my breath at this point. I'm surprised with how many people use Macs for graphic work that they're not more on the ball with things in that camp. (I'm actually a bit peeved by it. I paid just as much for my version of Painter as the Windows people did, after all.. Should be equal benefits.)
    I just really hope they don't push the 64 bit upgrade for painter 13. looking at painter 12.1, 12.2 updates coming roughly 6 months between each other, if there's any 12.3/12.5 update it could arrive in another 6 months, before or right after the new year;
    and than next spring/summer is where painter 13 is supposed to come out, unless corel's targeted development cycle for painter changed.

64 bit mac patch is also supposed to be free, this probably explaining equal price tags on both. *goes away ranting how it's 2012 already blahblahblah*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I did what you suggested, ikken - no dice.

I even bit the bullet and did a fresh reinstall. Again, nada.

It's being selectively weird now, too. Like, I'll go to use the brushes and they'll be smooth one moment, but they'll be jerky the next. And 'Live Impasto' brushes (which were almost unusable from lag before) appeared to be working a lot better, but then they'll just.. started jerking around like the others a minute later.

I thought that it was an issue tied to brushes that react with paper textures for a while, because I have a very simple/basic round brush with no frills that I use, which appeared to be working perfectly when compared to those that take advantage of textures, but then decided not to for some unknown reason. (No settings had been changed or anything. It worked fine literally one moment, and then not the next. Really have no idea what its problem is.) But then my theory about paper textures was proved wrong because all the brushes started sticking again, regardless of their individual settings. (Again, it was literally fine one moment, not working the next. No changes, no tweaks, no reason for it.)

I know it's not system resources - nothing else is open and my computer can handle Painter fairly well, usually. (Even when I do have other things running.)

So, I've sent another email off to support, hoping that someone can fix this because I'm ready to put my computer through a window today. >.>

.. And, if they push back the 64bit to version 13 for Mac, I really will blow a gasket. That would be completely unfair, considering that it has been repeatedly promised to be released for 12.. and I sure as heck wouldn't be giving them any of my money for it, if that's what they wind up doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Riley Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there're more reports of error 20 under mountain lion — http://painterfactory.com/forums/t/4866.aspx
    hopefully corel are releasing a painter 12 hotfix addressing that and your issue soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ikken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    there're more reports of error 20 under mountain lion ó http://painterfactory.com/forums/t/4866.aspx
    hopefully corel are releasing a painter 12 hotfix addressing that and your issue soon.
    I hope so too. I love working with Painter alongside PS, its just weird now
    But one, always finds a way I guess...

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried Serges fix suggestion for Error 20 on Painter Factory?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fes View Post
    Have you tried Serges fix suggestion for Error 20 on Painter Factory?
    Yes thank you!
    I found the PainterFactory thread earlier and used Serges help to get it up and running again. Forgot to say so. Works like a charm again!

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive_minD View Post
    Yes thank you!
    I found the PainterFactory thread earlier and used Serges help to get it up and running again. Forgot to say so. Works like a charm again!
    Hi, new here. What is the fix. I just got another MBP partitioned with SL and ML on different sides and would like to get Painter 12 working on the ML side. Thanks ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had issues with Painter 12 as well on my Mac, but from what I gather it's the lack of 64bit support for Mac.
    The larger the file gets, the laggier it becomes, which made sense since I was working with rather large formats.

So...yeah, either we wait for 13 with decent 64bit or that long-promised patch...

SKETCHBOOK

Everything is going to kill everybody.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley Stark View Post
    I just upgraded to Mountain Lion earlier today and the brushes in Painter 12 appear to be very unhappy as a result. I was previously using Snow Leopard and the brushes were quite smooth, even at large sizes or using Impasto brushes. I never really had any issues.. (I rarely even crashed!) Now even the most simple small brushes are acting really jerky and sort of skipping. (Almost like when you're watching a video online and it starts skipping frames, then it tries to catch up, if that makes sense?)
    That's exactly how it runs on my Win7 PC and here I was thinking in trying a Mac for Painter...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ as a disappointed mac painter 12 hater, I can say that brush performance is the only thing I'm not having any particular issues with
    (snow leopard here, that's not supported on the current mac hardware, unless you manage to install the expensive server distributive... which is not worth the hassle, given how unstable and overall laggy 12 is.)

there's a known issue with wacom drivers under mountain lion that causes a lot of point/click lag everywhere when driver is running, though, so it will affect other graphics packages you will be using as well.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painterô gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.