Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rob Liefeld leaving superhero comics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "But like Leifeld his downfall is the refusal to develop any further from a successful position"

I agree about the work, its exactly the sort of thing that makes me think most comics are like wrestling; for babies. But from his wiki his downfall was allegedly using company money as his a slushfund, missing deadlines and swiping work.
    I didn't know that. Can you link some of this stuff. Makes sense though. I only found an example of him swiping his own work. He probably did it because he missed too many deadlines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    From Truthipedia

"In June 1996, Marc Silvestri temporarily left Image with his Top Cow imprint, allegedly because of disputes with the other partners over Liefeld's status in the company. Among the many accusations against Liefeld, which came to light in subsequently filed legal complaints, was the charge that Liefeld routinely used his check-writing powers to cover personal debts from Image funds. Other dissatisfaction with Liefeld ranged from his alleged habit of copying art from other partners' comics to his plans to move titles that had been established at Image to the non-Image Maximum Press. Image Comics Executive Director Larry Marder is quoted as saying "He [Rob] was making an increasing number of business decisions that were counterproductive to being a business partner".[14]
    In addition to allegedly siphoning funds, he was said to have used Image staff to do promotional and production work for Maximum. In early September, Liefeld issued a press release stating he was resigning his position at Image and leaving the group. Nearly simultaneously, the Image partners issued a press release stating that they had fired Liefeld. The other partners had already voted once to remove Liefeld from the group, a move he protested on the grounds that he was given too short a notice period.[15] His resignation came only minutes before the second meeting that would have forced him out.[14]
    The comics press variously reported several underlying issues: the effect of Liefeld's erratically published and critically derided lines on the company's reputation, his supposed misuse of his position as Image CEO to unfairly benefit his own publishing efforts (including Maximum Press, which was not a part of Image) and attempts to recruit artists employed by his Image partners, a violation of their informal agreements...

In addition to this, Liefeld is also alleged to have made a habit of swiping, or copying, art from other artists.[12][48] Liefeld responded to this accusation by stating that in these instances, which he said were limited to ten, he was offering tribute to the artists of the original pieces in question, rather than plagiarizing, and compared this to the work of filmmaker Brian De Palma, who explicitly used the techniques of Alfred Hitchcock. Writer and Comics Buyer's Guide columnist Peter David responded to this rationale by pointing out that DePalma himself was criticized harshly by film critics for employing Hitchcock's techniques, and that Liefeld, who has identified himself as a "stickler" for credit, did not credit artists whose work he copied, "
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hinman View Post
    McFarlane and Lee were worse, because they knew better.
    Bikini nard guard Iron Man courtesy Jim Lee "wonderful"

Rob Liefeld leaving superhero comics
    http://www.heromachine.com/blog/wp-c...17-620x906.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    VK-I thought you were talking about J. Scott Campbell. Kinda hard to keep track of which artist we are bashing. I am surprised that Leifeld would have to steal from his partners, because he makes too much money.

Thanks
    Good luck to him I say, Im sure Id do exactly the same, sounds like loads of fun.

"It was alleged that Liefeld was too preoccupied by aspirations of Hollywood production deals, spending time in meetings with Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise, to effectively publish comic books or participate in the business side of the Image venture, a criticism that Liefeld admits is at least partly true.[39] He reportedly fell asleep at numerous Image board meetings."

ha good man

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    From Truthipedia
    Writer and Comics Buyer's Guide columnist Peter David responded to this rationale by pointing out that DePalma himself was criticized harshly by film critics for employing Hitchcock's techniques, and that Liefeld, who has identified himself as a "stickler" for credit, did not credit artists whose work he copied, "
    Ha! I remember when all that went down. I had a subscription to Comics Buyers' Guide when I was a kid and I'll never forget the day I read those columns. I just did a little Googling and Peter David has those columns on his website. If I remember correctly, it all started because Rob wrote a nasty letter into CBG criticizing Louise Simonson for taking credit for creating Cable. Rob wanted to set the record straight that he, and he alone, created Cable. Here's some links:

http://www.peterdavid.net/2010/08/20...due/#more-4882

http://www.peterdavid.net/2010/08/23...t-2/#more-4970
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    Also, i remember reading that when he got hired he did it showing a bazillion and a half pages. The dude never lacked any motivation apparently and at the time he seemed like a very hard working guy with promise. Then his comics grew popular and the rest is tight jeans history.
    Hey you know what? Good for him.

I bet he didn't sit around all day and whine on message boards about how much he sucked, too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Bikini nard guard Iron Man courtesy Jim Lee "wonderful"
    Well, in all fairness, he didn't actually draw that, Whilce Portacio did. Lee did possibly design it though, but he didn't seem to put as much emphasis on the uh.... Chippendale bulge als Portacio did.

Never really noticed that until now.
    Last edited by MidgardSerpent; July 28th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Hey you know what? Good for him.

I bet he didn't sit around all day and whine on message boards about how much he sucked, too.
    Why would he do that? He went pretty much said how much writers sucked for not making him look good or took his credit and being money grubby for doing so according to Peter David.

Rob replied that he was “a stickler for credit,” believing that credit should be given “where it’s due.” Based on that, he claimed sole creative credit for the character and insulted Louise Simonson while he was at it.

Thanks
    "I bet he didn't sit around all day and whine on message boards about how much he sucked, too."

http://robliefeldcreations.com/?p=2906

"I started by jumping on message boards and interacting with all varieties of threads, even those that were famous for bashing me. "

Feel a bit sorry for the guy if im honest, loads of comic dicks doing his nut all the time.

Thanks
    I think that most of the hate towards Rob should be directed at the publishers that hire him. While artists were getting rejection letters (including myself) with advice like "study anatomy" and so forth, that very same publisher would hire Rob and get...well...Rob's art. I don't think he's that good but he's successful at something that he genuinely enjoys. He deserved the bashing for the swiping though.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    I think he wrote it, but did he also draw it? Looks more like it was done by someone like Roger Cruz. Hard to say since there are so many artists from that area that have that faux-pas Image-y style, but it doesn't look very Liefeld-y.
    To be fair, no, he didn't draw that, although he was the auteur of the project. He did draw these, though.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    To be fair, no, he didn't draw that, although he was the auteur of the project. He did draw these, though.
    Ok wow...Noah has a stone hammer in one hand, a drill in the other, and a hover craft space ship boat in the background. Holy shit, I'm going to write that the bible's version is more realistic than Rob's. Is that even possible?
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast