Crits please =)

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Crits please =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crits please =)

I'm currently working on a revised version of an older pic I drew. I'm hoping to get some crits on this as I feel I'm getting stuck on colors and values in areas.

So far I've only put down part of the base flat colors, and I plan on painting on top of those once they're finished.

Thanks for your time and thoughts guys!

Update August 1st: Thanks for your help everyone! I've worked on this to the point where I feel it's completed. Please see post #18 for the final pic. =D Further pointers on this are still welcome and much appreciated of course! I'm still learning and have quite a ways to go.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jpep; August 1st, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get some reference for the dragon and the guy,because right now his body is looking really peculiar,the dragons wings..someone with more knowledge of wings then I will probably tell that they are wrong... usually the wings is the first thing they notice...because everybody gets them wrong.

http://theantimonyelement.deviantart...rial-150844565 <-This was linked here once before so I am linking it again.

Also,thumbnails do plenty of them.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're going to keep the lines, then I would use them more. They look like left-overs of a drawing instead of part of the art. Make them thicker in some areas, etc.

Flip the image and see if anything jumps out at you--I'm guessing some things will. The guy's body is soooo thin and tiny. He should have room for his head over each shoulder.

I like his expression and gesture tho. I like the dragon. The far wing looks like it should be curled back more like the other one is but it doesn't bother me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artimatum, thank you for your thoughts and the link!

Artfix, I have been debating keeping the lines, and I think I will try it out that way. I've actually flipped the picture quite a few times in the b/w shading process. Mostly the lack of value difference between his shirt and the land gets me. A few minor things on his clothing as well.

Thank you for mentioning his scrawniness! It's something I wanted to fix, but as soon as I started the revision I got caught up in other parts and completely forgot about that.

Should his shoulders really be as wide as you suggest, even tho he is facing partially away?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well no, of course he needs to be in perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll snag my fiancé to see about the shoulder width in a bit.

In the mean-time, I've finished all the flats here. Adjusted his clothing and gave him some more meat in the middle. I also added stronger lines.

The sky is over saturated in this compared to what I'm working with.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Get outside and draw more from life. Light is not generally white in that way. Trees are not all the same shade of green and neither is grass. Look at how flowers fade into the distance in a meadow.

If the light is behind the mountains what's lighting his face? Pick one or the other.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guys shoulders needs to be wider, unless he is supposed to look either young or adolescent - In which case you might want to make his neck thinner and his face rounder.
    I like the dragon, it has a cool design and the actual colour scheme seems okay (to add some contrast try adding in some warmer colours though.). Your lighting is off. I would suggest adding in an over all colour before you start laying in the individual colours.

So for example if my lighting scheme was blue and orange, I would fill the background layer with blue for my ambient light. Make a layer on top of that, and start painting in the other colours but with a varying opacity, maybe according to your tablets pen pressure. Block in your lighting by making these colours more intense in the areas the lighting is hitting your figures most. Then after that add in the orange highlights in the same way (or sometimes using hardlight)since that will be your direct lighting.

It isn't the best example but this video shows me using the technique I am talking about. Hope it helps. http://youtu.be/kLR03s3T-Ak

And make sure you do lots of studies from real life and use lots of references aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing that stands out the most is that his neck is a bit long.

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vineris: May I ask what you mean by "white in that way"? I have only used white as the base in the flowers thus far.. The color you are seeing is just flats. Of course there is only one color for each part. I let the flat for the sky stay around in the tree area to help with lighting later on, but I'm by no means finished here.

And sorry, I may not have been clear. The sky is over saturated due to my failure in creating the above version to post, there is no light coming from behind the mountains. The working piece's sky is not nearly that bright.

claytonbarton: I'll try using an all over color on top to adjust the flats and everything. That may help me make it more cohesive. I'm thinking of making this overall cool greens and blues, with some warmer orange/reds in the dragon and light from the sun. And thanks for the link, I'll check that vid out.

Eternal Apprentice: Thanks for pointing that out! I'll shorten that once I get to a point where I'm able to easily do so.

Last edited by Jpep; July 26th, 2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: durpy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpep View Post
    vineris: May I ask what you mean by "white in that way"? I have only used white as the base in the flowers thus far..
    No, vineris meant the light, not the base colour. Like you have the blue vest, and the parts of it that are in light/lit are just bit whiter than the vest. And it's the same in all parts, the brown in the hair is just bit lighter brown, the green in the vegetation is just bit lighter green... There's no actual shift in hue or colour (which tends to happen in real life, and it's especially strong if the sun is rising or setting like it looks like in your sky), nor is there much colour reflection in the shadows either: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.fi/201...in-shadow.html

Also it's not really the flats anymore when you have put light and shadow over the colours.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for explaining that Tinybird.

At this point it is -only- flats, I've used little to no other colors, so of course there isn't any color shift.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to best explain it. Maybe with the process I'm going for in this?

I start with black and white shading to get the highlights and shadows going. I have a hard time seeing values still, which is why I started this WIP post! lol
    Next I've laid down flat colors on top, only one color for each area. The exception here is the sky, since it was convenient to add more at that stage.
    After flattening the b&w layer with the flat color layers and lines, I'll then be painting on top of that with more colors. This is the stage I'm at now.

I plan on solidifying the light source and strengthening, adjusting shadows/reflected. light. There is no real point to adding the color variation before hand (in the flats stage) as the method leaches the life from them once flattened.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpep View Post
    Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for explaining that Tinybird.

At this point it is -only- flats, I've used little to no other colors, so of course there isn't any color shift.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to best explain it. Maybe with the process I'm going for in this?

I start with black and white shading to get the highlights and shadows going. I have a hard time seeing values still, which is why I started this WIP post! lol
    Next I've laid down flat colors on top, only one color for each area. The exception here is the sky, since it was convenient to add more at that stage.
    After flattening the b&w layer with the flat color layers and lines, I'll then be painting on top of that with more colors. This is the stage I'm at now.

I plan on solidifying the light source and strengthening, adjusting shadows/reflected. light. There is no real point to adding the color variation before hand (in the flats stage) as the method leaches the life from them once flattened.
    "Flats" generally means flat colour. When you start with a value painting you might have a flats layer but since the whole thing obviously isn't flat, calling it "flats" isn't really the right terminology and confuses the fuck out of comic artists. "Base colour" or "local colour" would probably be more meaningful. But yeah, if this is an intermediate stage then carry on. Using overlay/colour layers always looks like crap in the early stages.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I see. 'Base color' would definitely be a better term to use in this case. I was just focusing on layers too much I suppose. 'Flats' was the best term I could put to it. X)

I've started painting over the base below.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget the sky is a light source that diffuses the sun's light, it shouldn't be dark at day time and it should tint your shadows cool. Things in the distance should fade in contrast, Become lighter and cooler at distance tints them. Your dragon has more light then your character and you've got a lot of light directionality errors scattered around (which makes the light a lot less believable, and flattens your volumes). One more tip; The lightest part of your shadow area should not be as light as the darkest part of your light area, shadow on one side, light on the other; don't mix them!

Also, the river just distracts the eye, I recommend you take it out. Find some refs for his shirt and vest, your folds are a bit wonky. Take some time to fix your base, and then go back to polishing.

here's a quick paint over to illustrate:
    Crits please =)
    10 minute to steer it in an other direction,

17. The Following User Says Thank You to freiheit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freiheit: Thank you for taking the time to do a pain over! Seeing it really helps me out. I've been struggling with not focusing too much on the little details as well as the lighting.

I see what you mean about the river. I'll try removing it, and poking at what you've pointed out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also just throwing this here, think about how your characters pose in 3D.
    Because every time I look at the dragon's wing to me it looks like it's open, but there's no drop shadow of it on the kid's head, and to go with how you have lit things, the wing would have kinda get "smooshed" awkwardly so that it wouldn't block the light, thus making the wing look kinda broken.
    Name:  drop.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  114.7 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the pointers Tinybird. Sadly when I saw your post the other day the attachment was broken, and I couldn't see it until after I'd finished. >< I did try to add in shadows as you explained tho.

I may revise this some time in the future when I've improved my painting skills. For now, I have spent a lot of time on it these past few weeks, and have to call it 'finished'.

Any pointers regarding this I can take in for future works? Thoughts on things I should focus on more?

And thank you again everyone for your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id go over the values again, the foreground, middle and background values all blend toghether and his skintone need more color variation. his lips need to be redder. even if he is a male. good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.