Sketchbook: Arterly's Artery-Training to be a better Artist

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arterly's Artery-Training to be a better Artist

Hi, All. I'm Arterly, and I'm a student with a medium level of skill, training to be a better artist.
    You can watch my progress and help me grow here.

These are two comic pages that I did for art class. The assignment was to create a piece that used two pages of your "sketchbook." While it was more designed to cause the students to make a long, landscape-style painting, I did this instead, and it was fine.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Arterly; August 4th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Watching You-Acrylic

Unfortunately, even though the camera I use to photograph these is 15 megapixels, it still seems to come out blurry. And I also used a little tripod thingy, so I don't think hand shake is the issue. I would love to be able to scan these, but it's too big for my scanner.
    ...Do any of you have similar problems? If so, what do you do? I was thinking of both trying to scan them in pieces on my small scanner and then put them back together in photoshop, and also taking them to someplace where I could use an industrial-sized scanner. Does anyone know of such a place?

This piece is acrylic on canvas board. 11x14 inches. Took me approx 5 hours to do.

Comments, critique, etc. appreciated, even if it's only a couple words.

P.S. What media do I put acrylic paintings under? I couldn't find them on the upload manager list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those moonheads are quit funny pls more mirrortests ;D

I am searching for a "Mentor" who will give me some hint's and an ass-kick when I get lazy

NOW or Never --> Last Chance SKETCHBOOK _____ deviantArt _____ CW-Sketchbook(Blog)

Any Question? ---> PM pls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dreaming of Places to Frolic

@Jir- I would like to do more of the little humanoid creature pages, but always seem to be strapped for the time to do more whimsical pieces. If I were to get more people interested in seeing more, I would go ahead and paint more. And I might do it anyways even if not, cause I really like that little handsome creature.

Dreams of the outside world, places of fun to be had and mischief to be made.

Another assignment for school. I had a lot of fun with this one, though it was also extremely frustrating. It was my first (and only) time working with tempera paint, and I had a very hard time with the fabric beneath the cat's bowl and the porcelain pitcher. Every time I would go to paint over something, the wet brush would reconstitute the paint underneath and lift it up again. Sooo frustrating!

Comments and critiques are appreciated, even if it's only a couple words.

Media: Tempera paint on gessoed board
    Size: 14x18 inches
    Time Spent: approx. 10-13 hours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elise Jane-Graphite

Elise Jane, as photographed by Nirrimi.

Some or many of you may know who Nirrimi Hakanson is. Only one of the greatest young fashion photographers of the last 10 years. (In my humble opinion). Her work is amazing and beautiful, and shows the beauty of women without a lot of "fakeness." I highly recommend everyone check out her work.

Her Blog -www.theroadishome.com
    Her Flickr Photostream-www.flickr.com/photos/nirrimi/

A while back I saw this picture and just had to draw it. I tried out a new graphite technique here. Always before, I'd used blending to create the shades, just pulling graphite across the page with a tortillion or something equivalent, like tissue paper. But this time I made all of the shades just with the pencil straight, no blending. I was very proud of this at the time, and even to this day I quite like it.

As always, comments are appreciated, even if it's only a couple words.

This is Graphite on 6x9 inch rough drawing paper. It took me approx. 10 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another school assignment

s he walks down the deserted, crumbling street, a storm is descending upon the skyline.

Another I did for art class. (I promise I'll upload some more work that wasn't assigned soon!) The teacher just wanted to see our skill level, I think, as this was the first assignment and she allowed us to do completely whatever we wanted, though it had to be watercolor.

I had been wanting to try out some perspective for a while. But oh my this 3-point was really hard. I did a lot of sketches for this piece first, trying to get it to look "right" before I finally started the actual drawing and painting.

I feel like I actually learned a lot on this piece. I gained a greater understanding of texture, that's for sure, as well as learning more about the watercolour media, which I hadn't worked with a lot before. Plus, it was heaps of fun!

Critiques and comments are appreciated, even if it's only a couple words.

Media: Watercolor
    Size: 9x12 inches
    Time Spent: approx 15 hours (oh the details! :o )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mermaids are Deadly

Mermaids and sirens may look beautiful, but there's a reason for those sharp, carnivorous teeth they have. And once you get close enough, you'll wish you didn't know what it was. Sort of like a venus flytrap...but humans are the fly.

I was pretty disappointed with how this painting came out. My idea was much more dynamic, with a greater contrast of light and dark and a full-bodied pose. But at the time I did this (about 6 months ago) I didn't have the time or the skill to do it correctly. Fortunately, I think I've improved at least a little since then.

You'll notice that there are 3 sections to this painting. Smaller rectangles withing the larger. And the middle rectangle is a sepia monochrome.

And despite that, I had a lot of fun doing this, and tried out a lot of new watercolor techniques, learning as I went. #1 being that you should not leave masking fluid on watercolor paper in the hot sun...because it doesn't come off after it's been heated like that.

I feel that she looks just a bit...strange, but I can't figure out why. Looking at it with unfamiliar eyes, does anyone have any idea why? (Besides the teeth, of course.)

Media: Watercolor
    Size: 16x20 inches
    Time Spent: around 15 hours? Of course not ALL of that is actively painting because watercolors have to dry...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.