Thanks

You know what I hate?

I don't know how wise this is since this is a place where a lot of clients find me. but I am on this other employment website for freelancers, and I received an invitation to submit a proposal for this job posting, written in this most obnoxious and condescending way ever.

Excerpts:
    BEFORE YOU APPLY, PLEASE READ what we are looking for! Too many offers and those who apply cannot seem to comprehend the ad!
    WE are Looking for a DIGITAL ILLUSTRATOR who is a REAL ARTIST! WE ARE NOT looking for those who specialize in CHILDREN'S BOOKS or CARTOONS.
    Looking for the lowest price & someone with true DIGITAL Due to the failure of previous SCAM artists No advancements, We are paying for COMPLETED PROJECTS ONLY! NOT FOR SKETCHES or your TIME or wasted EFFORT! Money will be paid immediately for EACH completed, approved & sent cover. 5% will be deducted from project fee for each day late.
    really, I can't stand it (and of course I declined).

A potential client talking crap about other artists is one of biggest pet peeve I have (among so many other things wrong with this posting). Btw the payment offered for this job isn't anywhere near enough for anyone with the skill that this person needs to want to put up with that kind of treatment. so...

...yeah just venting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    If you've seen one of these, you have seen them all. I doubt that
    message was tailored for you personally. It looks more like a copypaste
    that they send to all prospective artists.

Soon enough, you wont even care enough about these kinds of prospective
    jobs to get upset about them.

Thanks
    Oh I know it's not directed at me personally, and yeah I guess the best thing to do is just to let these kind of jobs go over my head. I checked this person's profile, and unsurprisingly, this person is struggling to find an artist with that kind of approach. He posted 12 ads, all of them are for this same job..and most of which barely have any bids, if at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kayness View Post
    A potential client talking crap about other artists is one of biggest pet peeve I have
    clients feel alike about potential artists probably .
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    I don't know much about freelancing but isn't expecting partial payment upfront an industry standard? That add seems to fall under the category of 'don't do work for free lest you be ripped off.'
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reutte View Post
    I don't know much about freelancing but isn't expecting partial payment upfront an industry standard? That add seems to fall under the category of 'don't do work for free lest you be ripped off.'
    Not always, there can be a lot of different scenarios and circumstances. It's
    the differences between dealing with a private client and someone like a
    publishing house.

A properly drawn up legally binding contract is the most (but still not
    completely infallible) way of securing a real paying job when freelancing, that
    combined with your own discretion and experience in dealing with clients,
    understanding the payment procedure in large firms, etc...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    This sounds like every add on ODesk looking for artists. "You must be an expert, you must do them exactly to my specifications, I will pay 10 dollars for the 50 illustrations, no money up front."
    I signed up to ODesk, just for a good laugh every morning.

The worst jobs I've ever had as a pro were at the bottom of the market with the least amount of pay. My highest paid jobs were a breeze compared to the low pay, bottom of the market commission work, role playing games and video games. Not all of them are that way but there are more than at the top.

These people have always been there, they have always demanded way more than they were willing to pay and you just learn to ignore them. The good news is when you don't get the job with these clients.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    This sounds like every add on ODesk looking for artists. "You must be an expert, you must do them exactly to my specifications, I will pay 10 dollars for the 50 illustrations, no money up front."
    I signed up to ODesk, just for a good laugh every morning.

The worst jobs I've ever had as a pro were at the bottom of the market with the least amount of pay. My highest paid jobs were a breeze compared to the low pay, bottom of the market commission work, role playing games and video games. Not all of them are that way but there are more than at the top.

These people have always been there, they have always demanded way more than they were willing to pay and you just learn to ignore them. The good news is when you don't get the job with these clients.
    Out of interest, do you still ever get clients attempting to hire you
    using similar wording as in the OP? Or cold calling you with
    hilariously lowball offers?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Out of interest, do you still ever get clients attempting to hire you
    using similar wording as in the OP? Or cold calling you with
    hilariously lowball offers?
    It still happens, even though I post my prices on my gallery website, I still get people asking for cheap work and free work for the gallery stuff.

The games stuff, because I am applying for work, is where there is the most shock and confusion, usually for the client. Nowadays people want everything for nothing and don't want to pay a rate, they want to pay for the finished work after the fact.

I try to get them to tell me the scope of the work so I can give them a figure for it before I waste too much time with them. I also let them know I like to get paid every two weeks and no more than 30 days. This usually ends the conversation and I don't get the job. Sometimes I still get the job but then I have to back out because they won't sign a contract or break the terms of their own contract.

The people I have worked with, hire me quite a bit and keep me doing two or three small projects a year because they get professional work from me and are willing to pay for it. I'll do just about anything as long as I think I can make my rate. Because I'm fast I can still get it so even though the per piece price for jobs is low I can still make my hourly wage.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, that's defintely something I learned on this site from the pro's. Stick to your
    guns when it comes to your rates. It really separates the serious clients from the chaff.

It's not always easy to do that when you are starting out, at least it wasn't for me as I
    was just so thrilled to be hired I felt like I could not do anything in the slightest to
    put off the client. Thanks for bringing that point up again.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The pain comes in treating art like a mechanical process more than a creation. naturally it's bad business to hand in a final work late, but when it's phrased as lateness makes payment less... it really is like 'you were not art-ing hard enough for money'

Aspiring Digital Fantasy Artist
    DEVIANTART BLOGSPOT TUMBLR

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Steamhat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    well guys, not to be the devils advocate but illustration, it seem, isn't an industry where
    pay has a general standard ... Its very skill based, and that confuses people somewhat...

I dont really see a solution, short of tiering work ... I dont know where I was going with this.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

|Deviantart