Sketchbook: AE's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: AE's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

AE's Sketchbook

Hello. I'm a fifteen-year-old aspiring concept artist from the US, and this is my sketchbook. I've come here on recommendation from a fellow redditor, so I have high hopes that posting my works and processes here will help me mature in my art. I switch between SAI and PSE 4 when painting and I normally draw with an Intuos 3 tablet. Traditional artwork isn't really my thing anymore, but I may post some sketches on here if I ever get around to using a pencil again.

I finished this piece yesterday. For once I'm kind of happy with a painting of mine. It was pretty fun to do, especially because I've never really done anything with perspective. That's my biggest weakness, I think, besides thinking up good ideas.

Somehow I managed to paint that from this sketch, though I'm not exactly sure how haha.

Another painting I finished a few days ago. I had a lot of fun designing her light armor, but it's so obviously Mass Effect inspired I ended up scrapping it.

Sometimes I also like to draw in a more cartoony style, though this is normally when making fanart. I don't do too much of that these days, but I finished something for the Homestuck fandom a bit ago.

Looking back I do realize that the wristbones are anatomically incorrect (among other things), though I'm too lazy to change it. I'll just have to pay more attention on future pieces, I suppose.

Here is a male poses study that I did awhile back, just for practice.

That's all for now. Thank you for taking the time to read through this post! If you have any critique for me, I'd appreciate it if you'd drop it in the comments. I'll be posting more stuff as I go, so I guess I'll see where this takes me.

Last edited by Apfelerin; January 31st, 2014 at 03:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on different body types and painting styles. WIP of a curvy pinup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

30-Day Drawing Challenge: Day One - Self-Portrait

First day of the drawing challenge. Used a photo ref on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update today. I've been trying to work a bit more with realism and studying from photo refs. Mostly unfinished stuff this time, sans the portrait of Matthias Schweighoefer.

This last one's a WIP of my boyfriend's birthday present, since he's a crazy Heath Ledger fan. It's obviously still in the rough stages, but I'll post the final here when it's finished.

I've been trying to do more stuff with backgrounds/enviro work - it's interesting, but not turning out how I'd like it to. I've just got to keep pushing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! you are quite brave with colors and thatīs great I like a lot the portrait on #3. Be careful with proportions (the first two girls in #4 are a little bit off) ! thatīs the most useful thing I can tell you. keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lagarto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice book man. The lady in the water is pretty cool!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lagarto - Thanks for the crit. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Pete - I appreciate it! Unfortunately I probably won't finish her. We'll see.

Small update today. I've been super busy preparing for school and studying. I somehow found the time to finish my SO's birthday present.

Another work in progress... I'll post the process video of it when I'm done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is some great work you've got here! I love your unique style. Wonderful job with the rendering. Keep up the great work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle Rakar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a long time since I've updated and a lot has changed! Almost two years later and I have some new stuff.

Name:  connor.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  marker.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  swamps.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  324.0 KB

Name:  ports.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  402.9 KB

I have plenty (countless) of other, more sketchy works that include full bodies, but I don't really see any point in posting them here. A lot of the more finished work I have been doing is portraiture, but as I prepare my college portfolio I will definitely be stepping away from that. Crit welcome.

Members who have read this thread: 3