Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spartan Camp #232 - 50 gestures + Optional "Workspace Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #232 - 50 gestures + Optional "Workspace Study"

Spartan Camp #232 - 50 gestures + Optional "Workspace Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 29th of July.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Workspace Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background
    "Draw everything" is something you may have heard before. It is often used by members of this and other forums when asked how to improve at drawing. The rationale is simple; if you want to be able to create and draw from imagination, you need to build a visual library and practice drawing whatever you may see. Broaden your horizon! Different shapes and forms, materials, perspective.... You can learn just about anything.... and you may encounter unexpected problems.

The exercise
    Draw your workspace, desk, and/or any objects lying around. Your room is fine too. No limitations! This is a small break from the optional studies related to gesture drawing, but challenging nonetheless!

Reference
    Same as above. I know many artists have done this, so I'll be looking up some examples to post them here.
    Edit: here's one (DA) to give you ideas, though slightly too elaborate for a spartan camp optional.
    Edit2: I would say this one is more appropriate, (note; by the same artist).

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #231

Obstfelder
    Trozax713
    SmallPoly
    Hamorhage
    J8stine
    Anthis
    Jaik
    AdrianNagorski
    BlackDelphin
    Little-Maiden

Last edited by Anthis; July 23rd, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice assignment! Can't wait to dig into it! Thanks for setting this up every week Anthis!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting challenge. Since I'm traveling I might not have time to draw my workspace, but perhaps I could just draw the place I happen to be at.

Anyways, gestures:

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start Obstfelder, is that Jack the Ripper I spot there!

I am posting work from the last 2 days, I've done some more leg studies from Bridgeman, and then today I tried to loosen up my gestures, so I took some pastel and afterwards tried to apply this to my pencils. I didn't care how the drawings looked really, just want to get more sensitive line and looseness in my work. Can't say I'm there yet but once and a while something sparked and most importantly I really enjoyed it.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hamorhage: That's looking really good! I think you are reaching your objective of more loose lines. Great work!

Here are a couple of practices I did today. Still trying to get my lines more confident, and use fewer of them. Been drawing from Artsy poses to get costumed figures. They have more lines to work with.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, Obstfelder, I love your commitment here, of course I shall match your output I like that you are pushing yourself to get more precise with less lines. you might have less pleasing results at first but these are the things that will push your art further in the end. I am kind of trying things out aswell, been using the pencil differently lately, and trying to structure my approach to drawings that last longer then 30 seconds differently. Because when I do life drawing with a model, I usually have more trouble with the longer poses. I applied what I've been trying to do in my 2 min poses to 2x 10 min drawings:
    PS: Obstfelder: I just had a look at the last character of the week because I am thinking of joining next time, (the Guard one) and I looked through all drawings without paying attention to the names. Turns out I liked your the best lol, I was surprised to see your name there Nice work!

Last edited by Hamorhage; July 25th, 2012 at 09:09 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamorhage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, first spartan camp. This is such a great idea. I'm still working on the workspace study, but here's my gestures. I concentrated mostly on portraits since I think I need to work on head rotations. Still needs some work.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cumquat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so out of practice with my gesture drawings.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_chinchilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick set of 15 second poses. Trying to work out an efficient method that works for me... haven't exactly found it yet lol.

I plan on doing some 30 seconds and 60 seconds as soon as i can find time...

Great work guys, and thank you to anyone who gave me some feedback last week

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trozax713 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spam.

Last edited by Black Spot; July 26th, 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great posts so far guys! I'm going try some comments/crits, sorry if they don't make sense feel free to ignore me lol.
    Zombie_chinchilla try not to go over your lines too much. I'm not sure if you're using a timer but maybe give yourself longer on each pose.
    Cumquat I really like your full body poses, especially number 49. Can see the movement - if that makes sense lol. I must try this.
    AdrianNagorski Your portraits look a bit flat, like they're missing the backs of their heads. The heads on your full body poses are a lot better.

I did the optional one first. Will get the poses done this weekend when I go tourist hunting and Olympics watching.
    Here's my workspace.
    I didn't time myself for this. The perspective is really off.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Obstfelder: I like the efficient line stuff. I tried to do some of that earlier today.
    @Hamorhage: Exaggerated legs, huh? Looks good. I need to work on anatomy some more too. I haven't done much on it since when it was the drawing topic. The gestures are looking pretty great too. The thin dark line + thicker lighter areas is working well.
    @AdrianNagorski: You're getting some nice detail on the wrinkled faces, but the underlying geometry is off. For now you may want to block things in with some initial guidelines and check their perspective. The full bodies have good line weight, but it's off on some of the faces.
    @Cumquat: Nice gestures. Looks good. Are these from imagination, or if not then what are you using for reference?
    @Zombie_chinchilla: Looking alright, but try simplifying the shapes more. Your linework will also look a lot better if you don't pet your lines. Even if a stroke isn't totally accurate, it'll look a lot better if you do it once and with confidence. Look at Trozax's stuff, for instance.
    @Trozax713: nice and loose. :-)
    @Animare: Nice workspace. I have some of those stuffs too.
    -----

Workspace stuff? Sounds like fun. I'll set aside some time for that tomorrow after I spend some time sketching at the farmer's market. I think I may try some outline stuff this time.

Here's some gestures from life, from today and yesterday (mostly today). My girlfriend has been doing some figure modeling for me as well, but she's shy. :-)

Name:  IMG_4267.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  177.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4268.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  185.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4269.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4270.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  181.5 KB

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got in from holiday last night and bashed some of these out. 45-60 sec gestures. I do feel like I loosened up but feel like I need to do more short gestures again to really master throwing the form down accurately.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J8stine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This morning's farmers market sketches and the study of my workspace:

Name:  IMG_4277.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4279.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4281.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4282.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  118.3 KB

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hamorhage: Thanks! I've been participating for a few weeks now, and I think the challenges are a good motivator. Your last gestures have some very nice flowing lines. watch out for proportions though, second to last one has an oversized head.

AdrianNagorski: Good linework. I think you need to be more mindfull of the values when you do the shading. It looks as if the light/dark relationships in the faces seem too hard and rough. The rendering of the apple has some really good color.

cumquat: Good of you to join in! Some solid gestures, and the faces are looking really good. Maybe try and do one or two longer ones in a larger size?

Zombie_chinchilla: Looks like you know what you are doing, but maybe work on getting more efficient lines.

Trozax713: The figures are maybe a little too simplified and it's difficult to get an impression of the poses. If you want to go that simple try to use a much thicker brush and vary the opacity of the strokes.

Animare: Nice workspace, and very nice lines. Must have taken you quite a bit of time

SmallPoly: Thanks! Great work on the gestures. I really get a good sense of the clothes and faces. And the workspace study is looking sweet.

J8stine: A lot of good gestures in there. The feet and hands are a bit lumpy. You could try and pay some extra attention to the lines in those.

Here are some gestures I did over the last few days. Still trying to do the minimalistic line approach, and struggeling with the 30 second drawings. The 5 minute ones are getting better though

Didn't have time for drawing my workspace as I've just came back home, but maybe later today.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I tried some more, some 30 sec, some 60, and two 2 mins. I tried to improve my line work, but I can still use some practice. It goes against every fiber in my being to not pet the lines, but I think I've got it.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_chinchilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some more gestures this morning. I'm going to try the workspace study tonight.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zombiechinchilla try to loosen up a bit with your gestures. It might be a good idea to try and do them at a smaller size - thumbnails almost.

AdrianNagorski ; this might help with your portraits. I plan on trying this excercise soon myself. Basically this guy modelled out the basic head form - ovoid for the skull, face plane and a triangle for placement of eyes and mouth. He rotated it in 3d then used it as a base for a ton of head rotations. You can use your own head as reference but it's great practice and it will help you understand the 3D form better.

http://errantcrow.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4a3v87

hey Obstfelder thanks ! I'll be sure to do some for the next spartan camp. Your long poses are looking great btw.

Hey SmallPoly those gestures are looking fantastic. All from life ? No mine are not from my imagination (I wish ! ). They're from this site online where you can pick male/female, nudes and set a time (these were 1's). It's great for gesturing especially when you can't get out to life drawing. Though I might take a page out of your book and just cafe sketch for one of these spartan challenges.

I think this was it; http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/

okay, this is as far as I got with my workspace study. Thank you all for the comments and encouragement. I know it's a little bit late, but it's still the 30th in my timezone, and this is the soonest I could get home .

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cumquat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cumquat View Post
    Hey SmallPoly those gestures are looking fantastic. All from life ? No mine are not from my imagination (I wish ! ). They're from this site online where you can pick male/female, nudes and set a time (these were 1's). It's great for gesturing especially when you can't get out to life drawing. Though I might take a page out of your book and just cafe sketch for one of these spartan challenges.

I think this was it; http://www.lovecastle.org/draw/
    Thanks. Yeah, those are from life. The first batch is from a coffee shop that has a good view of an intersection, so there's always people standing relatively still waiting to cross. The second is from the local farmers market. I like the lovecastle site. I've used them a few times before.

That workspace study looks pretty good. I suspect the monitor images may have been photoshoped though. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahahaha, drat you got me !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Only looking trough this round just now... some stellar work here!
    And, welcome to the people who joined for the first time!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.