Art: In need of a Portfolio Review
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In need of a Portfolio Review

My name is Vincent Coviello and I am a recent illustration graduate. Here is a small portion of my portfolio, a snap shot of what the over all portfolio includes.
    I am hoping to one day be part of the booming concept art world of game and film. I would like to learn what should I be including/exluding in my portfolio. What skills should I be sharpening and any other gem of wisdom you have to offer.

Thank you for your time and advice,
    Vincent Coviello

Name:  tumblr_m5qidzSkCv1rp6cnqo1_r1_1280.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  220.7 KB

Attachment 1524740

Name:  tumblr_m746qjuVh41rp6cnqo1_1280.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  303.3 KB

Name:  tumblr_m72a1h0bFN1rp6cnqo1_r2_1280.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  199.0 KB

Name:  tumblr_m4uhvlA7DK1rp6cnqo1_1280.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  240.9 KB

Name:  lungfishcolors.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  170.2 KB[ATTACH]

1524760[/ATTACH][ATTACH]

1524763[/ATTACH]
    Name:  island2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  122.6 KB
    Name:  bazerker1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  dune21.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  155.0 KB
    Name:  metamorph21.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  75.5 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vcreatures; July 22nd, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Vincent, i watched closely everything you're showing here and i think your creatures and living being miss something. It's like the miss the movement, they are out of force. This is why most of them are just weird to be weird, nothing particularly functional or made for a purpose. Most of the muscular and bone structures beneath them are not made to work on a world similar to the Earth. You could say that was intentional but in this case you should not put them in a portfolio cause you never know who is going to view your stuff and if it's not a designer he couldn't understand why there's something wrong with those creature. He might not like them without knowing why but in that case is you that have to face the consequences.

Anyway if it wasn't intentional then i suggest you to do a lot of silhouette to see if a creature is working or not without having all those fancy details on, because details never saves a bad design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for your advice.
    Maybe If I incorporate a creature design page, it will showcase them in multiple poses and actions, as apposed to a page of multiple individual creatures. But I can assure you everyone of these creatures is biologically sound; coming form a zoological background, I am well aware of how animal skeletal/musculature work. Relying on a "cool factor" or "weird for weird sake" isn't focal when I create something. But I can see how someone can think that with the way the page is laid out

thank you again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wayne Barlowe fan are we?

Be mindful of your compositions, a lot of the images are cropped just at the edge of the subject/creatures, or are unbalanced...like with the "Behemoth", the vignette doesn't frame it, it actually adds confusion to the already over-detailed anatomy of the creature, and whatever that little imp(?) at the end of the chains is all scrunched up against the image edge.

I have to agree with Hitsu//San about the anatomy, I suggest trying more than profile views; not only does it show you are capable of broader concept skills, it opens up more dynamic compositions, and it'll really make you think how these creatures move and interact with their environment. I'm specifically talking about the icicle and rainy-swamp beasts, aside from being static, I don't really seem them belonging to those regions, the same way the ones in your second pencil-line image do.

Members who have read this thread: 1