Help with artic fox

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Help with artic fox

Help with artic fox

hello i need guidance and critique on the artic fox in this picture, i just cant seem to make it look right .
    overall critique would also be appreciated on the piece.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by moltazia; August 1st, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey moltazia!

I'm liking this piece! I agree with the link Elwell provided, the fox looks a little squat and some reference would help that.

If there's anything I would add, it would be that you need some cools in the piece. Everything is so warm, there's nothing to balance it. I assume you want a warm painting, but that doesn't mean you need to not have and cool colors in there. Instead of using grey for the outfit, shade it with a really muted blue or green or blueish purple and add some warms in there too. It will seem less muddy. You're doing it a little bit with the face with some purple, I think you could push that.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks , i put more colors in the shading and you are very right, im going to continue pushing it that direction.
    i have actually been using references for the fox since the beginning, thats kind of my problem, im sitting down and doing it over from scratch today. hopefully ill look at the references more

thank you very much for the qritique hikix, im very happy for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

[IMG]Help with artic fox Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

update, i think the fox is going the right way. going to fix the fur next but think the shape is improved. input? should i push the colours further on the cool side?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fox update, looks less sleepy/dopey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you don't draw every individual strand, our eyes don't process texture like that. Instead try to draw the fur in clumps and thicker sections. Also, try to vary the size of these, a lot of the time I see fur painted all the same size all over the body of the creature, but you will notice that fur is different length and thickness all over the body.

Watch how you're painting the folds on the dress, it's really easy to overdo clothing folds. Get some reference for garments worn while in a similar position (you might need different references for different parts of the body) and see how the folds really work, where everything pulls and bunches.

The girl's neck is very long, and her mouth looks like it needs realigning. Why does her eyepatch go under her hair?

I also agree, you have a lot of warm colours going on, there needs to be some balance to that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cooled the shades further, added some more detail overall. thinking of excluding the fox from the picture. was told it put the whole piece down quality wise.

from what i gather (i might be wrong on this) is that if you have an permanet eyepatch and longer hair you hide the band under it. like with hair accesories.
    if you wear it only at a party youll take it on and off probably constantly and therefore have it over.
    http://tanyavlach.files.wordpress.co...aki6.jpg?w=335

http://www.moviecatcher.net/images/d...-eyepatch1.jpg

i did a version with the band over the hair instead to try it out, should i post it?

i shortened the neck aswell. the sketch for this was very stylized and i´ve toned it down more and more, my love for long necks get in the way though
    thanks for the critique kveldvaahiim, i very much appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome.

Those eyepatches are wrapping around the head lower than yours is, and being hidden by much longer hair. Yours looks as if it's going under a wig. And is the fox supposed to be taxidermied? He looks rather stiff. Look up pictures of people holding small dogs or cats... see how the animal behaves in such a situation. You also might want to reverse the fox so he's facing towards the other side of the image, right now everything's drawing my eyes to where they're facing.

There's something off about that blue shadow... someone else might be able to tell you what.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's off because it's the opposite of what makes sense. You have a red wall/carpet behind her. If anything, make ambient light touched by the colors that surround.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.