Sketchbook: Dave Denton's Menagerie!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dave Denton's Menagerie!

Well, it would seem my moment has come! It's time to get off my butt and really work at developing my skills. I will gladly welcome any constructive critiques! I hope to be a part of the community here and to update often.
    A majority of my scribbles are in pencil, but I'm hoping to work my way into digital painting soon as well.

I know I have a lot to learn and that's why I'm here, so I highly encourage whatever thoughts for improvement anyone might have!

Thanks for stopping in for a peek!!

And now for the doodles to start this up --

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont have any real crits since your work is pretty awesome XD maybe just up the contrast a bit, it seems like a lot of the stuff doesn't really get that dark, but I also know that if your out and about you cant take all your pencils with you lol..

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,984 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    DAAAAAVE!!!!! hey man!! good to see you have started your sketchbook finally!! haha!

great sketches man! i love the bird head guy ! but i agree with element that a lot of your sketches could be darkened up a lot. you know, really push that contrast! try doing some pencil studies of animals, or different creatures. and try to applywhatever you learn to your wrk from imagination!! keep it up man!!

-Nick

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Element - Thank you so much for the compliments and the crit! You're definitely right. I've always seen that my sketches are lacking in value and I hope to work on that when I get a little more time now that I have my set of pencils nearby!

Nick - Thanks so much, dude! I know! I always said I'd start it tomorrow, and I suppose tomorrow finally came! I plan on doing a lot of practice with pictures I took of animals from my Europe adventure! The bird head dude was actually from a perched, photogenic bird in the Budapest zoo!

Haven't done any pencil drawings lately for value practice, but I began playing with photoshop recently. This is one of my first scribbles that I started working on. I would love a lot of feedback on this one, since I don't really know what I should be doing or what direction I should be going in right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hope you can read this... im about to eat dinner, but ill reply with some more of a crit to help understand better...

Dave Denton's Menagerie!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok first off disregard this stupid bot spammer above me. hes not a real person...

secondly, i just want to try to expand on what i was thinking about when i was doing that quick paintover on your image... its great to see you focusing on breaking up the overall creature into basic shapes to render him. thats a good way to think about it, but try not to seperate the shapes too much because, they are all part of a single cohesive whole. so instead of really pushing the shadows in areas such as his brow, which by how you have it lit, seems to be really furrowed, and almost on top of his skin, like a seperate box of skin. try to think of rendering in terms of 3D modeling. when you are first blocking out your shapes and overall lights and darks, you want to use the brushes with a much higher intensity to really push and pull the shapes around. to create the initial depth (or illusion of depth in painting) and as you continue to build upon the already established shapes and forms (big picture things...torso, head, limbs...) after these are established, then you want to just very slowly build up the less obvious planes and forms, such as the nose, the cheek, the eye sockets, and brow... these things will not have as much variance in value range, as say the torso or overall head shape. because, like in 3D modeing, these shapes are imbedded into the existing forms, they are partially buried, and so they will not have as much depth as something that is floating above them. the depth will be implied though, and the constant study of facial planes and lighting scenarios is the only way to get much better at learning these small variances, as well as constantly building on your mental library of how shapes and forms can differ under different lighting conditions, and this will all be things that can be later applied to your overall knowledge of light, shadow, form, and the rest of your fundamental knowledge. so i hope that helps. i will try to make a better paint over of how i mean softer lighting, and less harsh values. but ill upload that a little bit later! hope this is useful man! keep it going dude! your gonna be slaying this photoshop in no time!!!!!!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much Nick! Awesome crit! I have been bunkered down with work for some projects here and there, but I've been trying to make time for leisurely painting! Heeding your advice, I've been scribbling down thoughts and ideas while trying to find a painting style that feels comfortable. Nothing wicked detailed yet, but there's time to learn, yeah?

So far, most of the doodles are vague, but these two have felt pretty neat in their own ways! I just accidentally stayed up all night on the second one... Whoops..? It's been downsized dramatically, but I think it should still be fine!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been bogged down with school work lately, but these are a few recent doodles. Nothing too extravagant. A lot of my drawings have been trying to grasp a better understanding of photoshop. Any thoughts/feedback on anything are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.