Umar's Kirin W.I.P, critiques sought

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Umar's Kirin W.I.P, critiques sought

Hi, I am working on a creature design, my interpretation of the Kirin from Japanese/Chinese mythology. It is still a work in progress, as I want to colour and add background to it/ also sharpen/ add or make little changes to its design.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on how I go about finishing this piece so that I can include it in my portfolio?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the linework looks kinda sketchy and lot of the details just get bit jumbled together due to it, but what more looks off to me is that it doesn't really look like an animal that has reared up, but more like a guy in a horse fursuit who's standing up. The elbows and knees are placed like a human would have them, and though I agree that a mystical monster can have about any anatomy, but the effect that gives to me doesn't look exactly good, especially since it's going to look kinda silly when it walks on four legs.
    Also I'm not personally exactly fond of the huge Digimon lighting horn as a design element, but that's more just my taste.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Look up images of horses and other hoofed animals to find out what the leg structure really is in them, especially the position and shape of the knee and hoof.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks to you guys ive realised the legs are wrong , thanks for pointing them out, ill work on fixing them straight away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update: Kirin 2

Changed legs so that it looks more like a horse, well i hope so, and added/changed some details here and there, also added scales.

Going to colour/render soon. Whats the best way in approaching that? I'm thinking of colouring it in black and white first, to get the shading and lighting right, before using different colours on top as a layer.

Also, about the digimon horn, I kinda like it myself, but what i'll do is I'll make another copy of this when its nearly finished with the horn taken off, that way they can be compared.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pose is better now. The front legs are still a bit awkward, though, as his right one seem to bend outwards in a way that isn't possible. The shoulderblade should be much more parallel to the spine, as seen on picture -> http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MFWzwU8M4X...se_rearing.jpg

You might also want to re-think the scale approach. Right now, they all appear to be the same. If you look at the scales of a real-life reptile, or a thick skinned animal like elephants and rhinos, you will notice that they change in size, thickness and angle depending on where on the body they are placed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Eldings ill take yours words into account.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.