Books on Composition, Color Theory and Lighting?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Books on Composition, Color Theory and Lighting?

Hello,

I've decided that it's time for me to invest in more art text books. I am particularly interested in books covers the subjects of composition, color theory and lighting. I prefer more extensive, advanced, and in-depth texts that covers the theory, science and logic behind each subject rather than the "how-to" or introductory books, or one that show only techniques and only glazes over the subjects but does not cover it in enough depth. After all that said, I am not looking for a pure science research paper on human physiology and perception or anything but rather, as mentioned, books that can strongly establish the fundamentals and knowledge of each of these subjects, suitable through the views of an artist.

I have purchased James Gurney's "Color and Light" (planning on purchasing his other book "Imaginative Realism") and enjoyed it really much, however I crave for more information.

Anyway back to the point, can I have some suggestions for the books I should get that fits the criteria I mentioned above? (I am not limited to buying only one book per each subject).

I apologize for being so picky and overly descriptive

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I am a fan of Eyewitness Art: Composition

http://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Art.../dp/156458612X

"By presenting the basic elements and applications of composition, Kent explains how paintings are viewed, and how the artist arranges the work for best representation. Balance, perspective, design, symmetry, horizon, sequence, light, color, and the other aspects of composition are described in a lucid text that delineates the features of individual paintings. Over 70 Western masterpieces are displayed with analyses of the artists' techniques. Readers are drawn along the splendid pageant of art history from the 15th-20th centuries by examples of innovations introduced by painters from da Vinci to Picasso. Each picture features a separate aspect of composition, which is interpreted for viewers. While the glossary doesn't cover all terms used in the text, the definitions provided are quite sufficient."

Be sure to pick up Imaginative Realism as soon as you can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 319 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelinet View Post
    I have purchased James Gurney's "Color and Light" (planning on purchasing his other book "Imaginative Realism") and enjoyed it really much, however I crave for more information.

Anyway back to the point, can I have some suggestions for the books I should get that fits the criteria I mentioned above? (I am not limited to buying only one book per each subject).
    There are some good suggestions in the recommended reading at the end of "Color and Light"... including one or two websites (hint, hint!).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jack Hamm's book on scenery cover composition.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 13