Sketchbook: Drews Sketchderp - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, been busy with stuff so haven't been doing much studying. Had a street fighter tournament today, yeah I play that game lol, it's awesome, but didn't do too great. But I managed to do some sketches before i go to sleep. Just quick stuff, I want to get on those studies in the morning! I really realise that my structure after looking at my drawing the other day is really not quite there so I'm going to work on that. These were fun, trying different styles, and the last one was trying some happy princess. Till next time, hopefully with more stuff to show.

Edit - page 6 yeeeeah!

Name:  gcrown3.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  283.3 KB

Name:  gcrown1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  214.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Pou is offline PKMN TRAINER- Captured: 12 Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi suda~ I enjoy hearing about your day, but you should stop making excuses for why you didn't draw.
    Perhaps you should not say what you did that day and just upload....just the work itself.
    When you are faced straight on with just how much you actually did, maybe it'll help to kick some butt into gear
    ( because I know you want to do more )Not always doing this though, just sometimes.
    ( I do it myself a few times and it makes me realize how little I accomplished haha i.e. work harder next day)

About the actual art itself... I like the bottom one the most. Suppose because it has the most character.
    The other three are making the same expression haha.
    Uhm maybe you should try and push a sketch further, by shading it digitally or traditionally in B&W.
    just to get out of the comfort zone and see what you truly know about anatomy instead of simplifying down sometimes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Pou! lol I'm not making excuses...okay yeah maybe i could have done some more drawing. I like talking though, you want me to be the silent art type? D:

Yeah I need to work on expressions, and I think you're right about the shading. Here's a sketch from tonight, I think shading will bring more life to my drawings, but I think I need to push it a lot more. Also need to crank out a lot of these, it's all so slow, I am the turtle of art

Name:  dgirl1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  130.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff, dont know what I'm doing really

Name:  loomy4.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  756.2 KB

Name:  loomy6.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  157.5 KB

Name:  charcoal girls.jpg
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  charc4.jpg
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  eyes.jpg
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  girls111.jpg
Size:  407.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Thanks for checking out my sketchbook! You've got some really sweet portraits here! The drawings are super clean too, I need to learn to work more like that. Keep the drawing and paintings coming man! I'll be subscribing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to toshi13go For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some random faces and stuff from imagination, these are kind of disappointing. I realise I have a ton to work on. Construction, expressions, features, gestures, shading, anatomy...oh god, a long while until i master this shit. I will do tons more of these, and hopefully will see some improvement. I've gotten to the level where I can draw what I see pretty comfortably, but now i need to learn how to do it from imagination..dat real stuff. Might go back to the ol' sketchbook.

Name:  imaga2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  403.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a blast looking through your sketchbook from the beginning. Highly inspirational stuff here. I look forward to more.
    Also, I have problems pulling things from imagination as well; my faces and such tend to come across as expressionless and lifeless. I'm interested to see how you overcome this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Incho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Incho - Wow, someone actually looked through my SB from beginning to end? Didn't think anyone would last, haha. Thanks for that, you've made me happy. After these last drawings I really don't feel like I've improved that much :/...wow, I can copy a picture better...great. Yeah, I'm going to post tons of these imagination drawings so i can track my improvement, should be fun! Really glad you'll be sticking around. By the way my plan to overcome this is do lots of skulls and anatomy understanding. Gulp.

More imagination stuff! And what!? A figure!? Call the art police, Drew has done a figure! I am actually kind of impressed/surprised how this turned out. No it's no michael angelo but considering my complete lack of effort towards any kind of real figure study, except reading some loomis, then i don't know where this came from. Look what happens if you learn proportion people! That's pretty much all I know...

I am excited about when I actually start doing figure/gestures like a madman. Cough...I will do it, I will.

I am such a bum, I know what to study but i just can't ugh....*Just do it goddamnit!*

Female knight in SBP, with marker tool, which is all kinds of awesome I've found out. Also I didn't take this further because I know I'd mess it up somehow thus taking away my happiness.

Name:  character1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  124.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey suda, good stuff! Glad you are preparing to get into the studying. I def recommend not just copying from anatomy books - I noticed i remember way more when i copy once, then close the book and try to remember the muscles. Do each anatomy illustration several times so it sticks. It is time consuming i know, but it will pay off big time. For the record i think you are really handy at drawing the head from imagination.

Learning some parts is fun - like the arms, but legs are bloody boring. Good luck. Im looking forwards to your drawings.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by Kimonas! Encouraging to hear my faces aren't so bad, but I'm still a way off with them I feel. Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to learning all the parts of the body, but hopefully that feeling stays with me!

Imagination attempt again, this time a portrait. Feel so-so about this. Might have got the female proportions a bit wrong, I think I still need to work on features and the planes of the face, well I definitely do. Ha, think my design could also do with some work! That's what's good about trying stuff from imagination, it let's you see what you need to work on. Also need to work on transition from linework to painting better, I always feel the earliest versions has something that the finished versions don't.

Name:  imagbw4.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  686.3 KB

Pou is offline PKMN TRAINER- Captured: 12 Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! This new face looks great. I'm happy to see you try and pushed a bit further from your imagination more
    So I was looking more into how necessary linework really is, and apparently there is a huge market for it within the industry of concepts etc. They always need very clean lines for painting ( like environments or w/e ), loose stuff is difficult to be used for 3D modelers or something sometimes. So I take back some of what I said, but not all of it because I don't think your goal was that when you were talking about it lol. Anyways just some information that might be useful for you to dig into

And legssss leggss!! Very happy to see those Keep up the good work Suda

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woahh, what happened to the forums. That's some crazy sheeeeet. Not sure if too many will be happy about that? Where's the ratings? Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Thanks Pou, so glad that I might have actually impressed you for the first time, haha. Yeah, I really want to get that traditional look with line drawing when doing digital, maybe I should stop going on pure white! Your comment means a lot, I will keep going!

Here is another attempt from imagination. Kept it pretty loose but don't know if my skills could have taken it that much further. I feel like my process could be better, and my painting skills are real bad. I did this in SBP, maybe try PS brushes next time. Though brushes don't make the difference as we know, but SBP brushes really suck. Well, things to work on, but I'm really enjoying doing these and it's letting me see where I'm at. I am so excited to see how much I can improve this, and come page 50 maybe I will be a little better

Won't be around for a couple nights, heading to my dads, but i will take my loomis and SB with me! Till next time guys.

Name:  226.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.8 KB
    Name:  227.jpg
Size:  122.3 KB
    Name:  228.jpg
Size:  64.1 KB
    Name:  224.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  140.6 KB
    Name:  225.jpg
Size:  148.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bout an hour study just focusing on values, and using hard edges only. I feel like soft brushes are an over use for me and just cause problems. So this was kinda fun, need to do more of them. Trying so hard to steer from colour right now.

Name:  pra2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  185.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of heads from imagination trying to apply what I learned yesterday. Did a lot better job on the first one. Working with hard edges and values is showing me a lot. Sorry I know these are probably not very exciting but gotta keep going!

Name:  headhard1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  65.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another hard edged portrait tonight. Was hard, but enjoyable. Still trying to get values right as I go along, but getting there. Done in SBP this time. Hopefully when I go back to blending these studies will be beneficial.

Name:  porhARD4.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  106.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some heads from imagination from. About a few minutes each. Felt good doing these. I don't know I think working with hard edges has made me think a lot more solidly about my structure. I think I need to start moving away from line soon and try to bring more life into these, maybe through lighting or things like that.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Almost 4am drawing! G'night.

Name:  imagggg2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  227.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketchiesss, ref used for these

Name:  moleske3.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  231.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving your hard edge work. I may have to take a page from your book (figuratively) and do the same--I can really see the benefits of doing them. You've mentioned SBP a couple of times and you also mentioned using PS brushes. I've been using SBP on and off for a couple of years and was wondering if it is possible to use PS brushes in SBP or were you saying that you were going to try PS brushes while using PS itself? Because you are right: a lot of SBP's default brushes truly suck.

Apologies for the somewhat off-topic question.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Incho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Incho. Yeah it's a lot less stressful working with hard edges and it allows me to stay zoomed out and just focus on the bigger picture and not have to worry too much about going into details to start blending etc. As for your question, PS brushes won't work in SBP sadly. Best bet with SBP is to create your own, you can do some cool stuff though. So yeah I was meaning just swap to Photoshop. I'm not worrying about brushes too much at the moment though, think it's better to focus on the fundamentals first and foremost.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sudafreekan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sudafreekan View Post
    I'm not worrying about brushes too much at the moment though, think it's better to focus on the fundamentals first and foremost.
    I completely agree. Thanks for responding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's something new, trying a kind of charcoal style

Name:  charpor10.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  564.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work that you've been doing, dude, and nice job with the value work. and don't worry about doing things that are "exciting"...just worry about doing what you need to get better. hey, you're doin it...doing the work, and getting better. keep it up!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

30. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where you're going with that last sketch, the hair looks great but give the flowers some hard edges and you'll find that it'll make them pop out nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sudafreekan! Thanks for the advice you gave on my sketchbook, I appreciate it man. That being said, Dude.. O.O that last piece is killer! It honestly looks great man, I'd love to see more like it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New study, trying out some new things, like brushes and edge work.

Name:  girlghead11.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  160.8 KB

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 162