Please read/watch this report about For-Profit colleges

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please read/watch this report about For-Profit colleges

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-students?lite

Also get this spread to your friends, don't just comment or go whatever to this or they will keep getting away with this.

I go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh currently and can confirm everything in this report is true and that the representative of the EDMC that is defending the for-profit colleges is twisting the truth or flat out telling lies so best to ignore what they say.

Also the comments under the report trying to defend the for-profit colleges either attended before some of these schools were bought out or are the EDMC trying to convince people to not believe what has already been confirmed by several agencies and current students.

These for-profit schools are scum and it is time everyone knew it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's worth noting the Academy of Art in San Francisco has been accused of fraud in relation to employees being paid extra to get students to apply, regardless of whether or not they're able to afford the school and the debt that will inevitably come with it.
    http://www.sfgate.com/education/arti...ed-3703847.php
    In 2010, for example, Aquino asked her boss what her goal was, how many students she had to register for an $8,000 salary increase, and how many were needed simply for her salary to be restored after she missed a prior goal.

The boss e-mailed back this terse response: "25% over that 65 goal."

A 2009 document shows that Aquino's salary was reduced by $2,100.
    They also own a large amount of properties that are churning them additional housing profit from students.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All colleges are..... 'for profit' schools. Some specifically target that's for sure definitely not arguing that. Schools can be as corrupt as any business.

But part of it needs to be educating the kids families going TO college about loans. What they're getting into. You need to have a plan for this shit. The above example of the girl with the 65k loan then the 14k abroad for an art degree. I'm sorry but really? ...... .... Really? Since when in Graphic Design do you need to go abroad to learn. That's called a luxury you can't afford. Then you have to think before taking a loan what your pay you might get is. She actually netted a job. Of course it didn't pay what she was expecting so pft. Screwed.

Though it's also a cultural thing. I remember years ago right after graduating highschool even my parents said it. I told them I didn't know what to do about college. We can't afford it. Mom said just like it's no big deal take out a loan. My first response was "Fuck no". One year later the economy tanked and I'm glad I didn't.

Unless your job is really in demand. Really..... in demand. You need to be prepared for the risk. My sister took out a loan in school but she was going into nursing which has a good salary and an immense job demand. Something like Graphic Design or Fine Art. Not so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    All colleges are..... 'for profit' schools. Some specifically target that's for sure definitely not arguing that. Schools can be as corrupt as any business.

But part of it needs to be educating the kids families going TO college about loans. What they're getting into. You need to have a plan for this shit. The above example of the girl with the 65k loan then the 14k abroad for an art degree. I'm sorry but really? ...... .... Really? Since when in Graphic Design do you need to go abroad to learn. That's called a luxury you can't afford. Then you have to think before taking a loan what your pay you might get is. She actually netted a job. Of course it didn't pay what she was expecting so pft. Screwed.

Though it's also a cultural thing. I remember years ago right after graduating highschool even my parents said it. I told them I didn't know what to do about college. We can't afford it. Mom said just like it's no big deal take out a loan. My first response was "Fuck no". One year later the economy tanked and I'm glad I didn't.

Unless your job is really in demand. Really..... in demand. You need to be prepared for the risk. My sister took out a loan in school but she was going into nursing which has a good salary and an immense job demand. Something like Graphic Design or Fine Art. Not so much.
    Not sure how to read this are you for or against them? Oh and as for the cost thing, I was told I would only have $30,000 to payoff in that 8-10 year loan payment plan, well they raised the prices while I was attending (by no small amount without telling me) and also made sure to put me in debt through mistakes on their part so I couldn't just leave when I noticed something wrong (other wise I would have to try and pay $5000 the instant I left, which is what they have done to most of the students to keep them), so I went from $30,000 to $50,000 and they are still increasing the price.

as for the research part, how do we research them when all the information about them is manipulated by them.

All those horror stories about loan sharks pale in comparison to these people and their dirty tactics.

That report mentioned that due to these for-profit schools there is a debt of $1 trillion, and then you count how many people are trying to pay that off and the fact that if they can't the tax payers will be the ones paying. This is beyond the point of people should know better and is now about how the heck is the American people going to recover from this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    In the U.S., at least, this is completely false. Universities/colleges here are most often not-for-profit. That is to say, all the money they take in from tuition, fees, endowment, etc. must go back into the institution itself.

Now, it's true that there is still the issue of executive compensation in nonprofit organizations (like a college president getting paid six figures). That, and the rising cost of administration, are the subject of a healthy public debate. But other than that, it's not the same thing as a for-profit corporation whose executives are simply pocketing the extra money without the legal obligation to somehow reinvest the money back into the school.

That's the distinction between for-profit colleges and not-for-profit colleges.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neonnoodle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing wrong with running something for profit.

Doing it so as to also screw everyone around you is very wrong.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.