Thanks

Concerning piracy

I'd like to post my works on CA to get constructive critics, but I'm concerned about my pics leaking to google/other browsing sites and ending up posted on someone else's portfolio under his name. I've got that case some years ago on DA, and since then, it's "better be safe than sorry" for me.
    Of cause I know how to add a stamp signature and embed watermark, but that doesn't really help. What is CA's policy regarding members intellectual property and how can I put my works on exhibit, while knowing that some SoB is Copy/Pasting them as soon as I had posted them?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't know about CA policy but if you made a piece it is your property. That's pretty much the case. Put your works on a personal website, sign them and you are done. Of course there's always the possibility that some smart ass will think that he can claim them. The most recent case i can think about is about Daniel Dociu, someone thought that he could do a showcase with local tv involved with his works (and not just those, even of other artists... jeez) and no one would notice that. When something like this occur you could gently ask to stop right away all the thing (or ask to take down those works from a site) or you could frame them with a legal order if you could prove that you are the owner of that work of course. I suggest you to never use top high resolution to show a work, always sign them with your name (and date) and if you think you'll have a very solid idea you could sell just don't show it through the internet.

Anyways most of the people that steals works like that isn't able to do something at that level so it's hard to believe that someone like that can find a job lying.

If you really don't trust the internet then you should find someone you trust and show your works privately, that's the only way in this case.

In my personal opinion my skills to do a cool job are much more important than the possibility that someone could steal one of my ideas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Hitsu//San! My works are definetly not of a top (or even considerable) quality. My concern were more towards these embaciles that copy paste anything copypastable from browsing engines (aka google e.t.c) and not from people here on CA - I believe, that at least at the curent stage no one here will be interested in hacking my doodles. But you've convinced me, I'll start posting.
    On another subject - if I'd used for my work a photo-reference that was already used by someone else (or even an oficial promotinal photograph) - should I aknowledge it upon the posting of my pic? I'm not doing tracing or over paint, but can it still be non ethic not to make this info public?

Thanks
    It depends. If you're using a undefined piece of a photo as a texture or mask or whatever and the photo isn't recognizable then who cares (an example would be if you use a portion of a rock photo from national geographic to texturize randomly the skin of one of your characters). But if you're using a photo of someone else entirely or something like this, well, it's necessary? Can't you use a photo of yours? In this case then the copyright can become a problem to you so in any case i think you can do fine without that photo. Be aware to not use someone else photo of the sky or clouds for a background, those are still under the photo owner copyright.

My suggestion is that if you need to use a photo for any reason in your work then use yours.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu//San View Post
    It depends. If you're using a undefined piece of a photo as a texture or mask or whatever and the photo isn't recognizable then who cares (an example would be if you use a portion of a rock photo from national geographic to texturize randomly the skin of one of your characters). But if you're using a photo of someone else entirely or something like this, well, it's necessary? Can't you use a photo of yours? In this case then the copyright can become a problem to you so in any case i think you can do fine without that photo. Be aware to not use someone else photo of the sky or clouds for a background, those are still under the photo owner copyright.

My suggestion is that if you need to use a photo for any reason in your work then use yours.
    Thanks again! I meant that I'm only using a general posture/face expression of a person from some photograph, not phisicaly including any part of someone elses work in my pic.

Thanks
    You cannot put a copyright on a posture or some expression so if you're not copying the photo 1-1 you can use references in any way you want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's exactly what I was digging for! Thanks a banch!!!
    I'll be glad if you could visit my brand new sketchbook and give me some crits on my works!!!
    Have a great weekend!!!

Thanks
    Agree with Hitsu//San 100%!

On art forums like this, I protect myself by not uploading the highest resolution version of my image available.

I'd also put a "Copyright © XXXXXXXXXX" (XXXX being your name) within each drawing I upload (I sometimes don't do that because I get lazy - but in that case, I'd risk people stealing.).

One other option, if your finance allows, is possibly look into getting affordable legal service to back you up.

You might be thinking "yeah right - is there such a thing?"
    Actually, there is!

I'm using a company called "Legal Shield" (not trying to sell haha).

If you can stomach their less-than-great site design (www.legalshield.com), they actually offer sone great services - ones that'll help designers like us.

What they do is, for about $36.00 a month, they offer a bunch of expensive legal services - just in case when you need them. I can ask one of their lawyers to CALL AND WRITE legal letters (very potent legal weapon) to whomever's violating me and my copyright. You can also consult lawyers who can help with copyright advice and issues. All this and more are included in your monthly membership fee. I used them on more than 1 occasion, and so far, they've been quite prompt and reliable.

Again, since finance can be of concern, this may or may not be right for everyone. All I'm suggesting is that there are options out there - options that takes a little digging, outside of our comfort zones as designers.

I think for me, the moment I decided to become a artist, I'm dragged into the business side of art and design - whether I realized it or not. If $36.00 is affordable, then it means I can afford to feel powerful against any intellectual thieves out there.

Hope this helps~!
    Dong-Chin Chai
    Concept Art + Manga + Motion Design + IM
    Attn: Designers - Click here to GET DESIGN MANUAL - Free Custom Brushes And More!!

Thanks
    Now that sounds like a really heavy artillery!!! Thanks alot kosherchai!
    Love your name, BTW.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lemdiozy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You're welcome lemdiozy!
    I like they way you put it - "HEAVY ARTILLERY!!!" indeed!!
    Dong-Chin Chai
    Concept Art + Manga + Motion Design + IM
    Attn: Designers - Click here to GET DESIGN MANUAL - Free Custom Brushes And More!!

Thanks

Angry An Unfortunate update to the supposedly dead tread

My OP was about possibility of some SoB hacking my (or anyone elses) work...
    and here we are: some bloody bot just posted on mine and seven other people sketchbooks! It copies your last post with attachment of your pics and Hell knows where it pastes them... I reported him of cause, but what good will this report do to anyone, if such a BS will happen on CA every now and again! If anyone of you guys has a knowledge in software security about this subject, and would accept to give us insight on this - I believe, it would be most welcome. Also, if there are admins/mods reading these forums, maybe they do something about it.
    Ironicaly, this bot was the second only responce I'd got to my works since I opened a sketchbook thread on CA... Maybe I should thank him
    My SKETCHBOOK is waiting for your critics!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,700 Times in 4,610 Posts
    Those bots are only interested in posting spam. Copying a post is what they they think makes them blend in. We do pick up most of them and there's a report button (the little triangle) where we will always pick up. It's nothing personal, so don't be so paranoid.

If you want feedback on your SB, try posting comments of other people's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Those bots are only interested in posting spam. Copying a post is what they they think makes them blend in. We do pick up most of them and there's a report button (the little triangle) where we will always pick up. It's nothing personal, so don't be so paranoid.

If you want feedback on your SB, try posting comments of other people's.
    You know, although they may be harmless (while still annoying) they do make you be alarmed. Anyway the admins wiped him off from my SB and others.
    Good riddance!
    My SKETCHBOOK is waiting for your critics!

Thanks
    Agree with the others, low res images are the best.

But at the end of the day, it's hard to completely protect your work being stolen or used without your permission, it is the age of the internet and once it is on there your stuff is exposed to the entire world and they'll do with it what they will. It offers so many advantages, such as exposure, but there is always that flip side. The way I like to see it, is that no matter what, you are the only one who can produce 'your' work'. Those who want to steel and use your stuff by calling it theirs will never have that ability so in a way, they are wasting their time just for a little bit of attention they can't even feel good about. They'll never get a job they can hold out of it, since they can't actually produce the work they claim to have created. I guess in a way, they are even doing you a favour in some ways, by helping to spread and expose your work, even if they are creating their own little undeserved fan base by doing so.

Sometimes you just can't win, and there is always going to be that risk if you want your art to have an online presence in the cyber world. I guess you have to find your own way of making piece with it, or your could simply avoid the internet altogether.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    (Stealing someone's work and claiming it as their own =/= online sharing)

It's incredibly rare, though, to have your work stolen. There's some precautions though, like watermarking some or all of your work. I like using a hand-written signature that blends in with the artwork from time to time. If you personalize your work well it would be very hard for someone else to get away with taking advantage of it.

Thanks
    There was some guy awhile back who had stolen hundreds of deviant art images and was selling prints of them for almost 3 years before anyone noticed. I dont remember his name but dozens and dozens of popular works was being sold as prints for profit without any regard to the artist. last i remember his site was down but not much happened to him despite the thousands upon thousands he made on other peoples work.

That legal site is pretty awesome because there will always be that one guy.