Altering work you made as an employee

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Altering work you made as an employee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Altering work you made as an employee

I have a question regarding copyright/employment, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I've done a little searching but I can't really find an answer, so excuse me if there's a link somewhere with the exact answer to my question.

About a year ago I did an internship at a game company, and I've produced a few works that I regularly use as portfolio pieces to show to people. I've signed a contract that allows me to showcase these pieces, but it does not state anything about not altering the images in anyway (except that the images have to be marked with copyright text)

Yesterday I got the opportunity to get my portfolio reviewed by Jason Manley and John English, and the portfolio I submitted included these pieces. They had some very valid critique, and one specific point which had been bothering me for some time about one of the pieces.

My question is, is it allowed in general to touch up the images you made as an employee to a certain extent, even if they are owned by the company you worked for? The changes I'd make wouldn't be super spectacular and would mostly involve adding some more dust or clouds, or slightly changing the angle of some objects.

Of course, if there is no clear answer I will email the company and ask them, but I figured the CA community is usually faster with their answers =) Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just do a fresh piece that is unique and incorporate their feedback. You need to develop the ability to do a lot of different work rather than minor revisions and tweaks on a few pieces anyway.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point, though it's also a matter of efficiency. I'm already working on producing a lot of content for the graduation project I'm currently working on, though honestly I feel like these images I'm talking about are a few of the stronger pieces of my portfolio, and it would be a shame not to include them because there are some glaring mistakes that are easily fixed with half a day's work.

Apart from that, I'm also curious to know what the policy is on this kind of thing, should I ever face the same situation in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It really depends on what you signed before working with the company. The company I work for (not art-related) is legally able to claim a stake in all inventions you come up with while working for them or deriving from exposure you gained while working for them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSturm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for taking a while to get back to that. I've heard of contracts like that, though I'm sure there's nothing like that in the contract I signed for my internship. This wouldn't concern anything I did in my spare time however, because I made the images for them and they do own the images. But from these responses I take it there's no etiquette for this situation, so I'll just send them an email. Thanks for the responses anyway!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Im sorry if i sound like im contradicting the first reply, im not at all I completely agree with doing new stuff using what youve learned.

but i also hear you when you talk about efficiency.
    And I also think going back and changing old stuff for your own staisfaction and to make your portfolio better: its a no-brainer, definitely fix problems as you see them. the alternative is showing people work you dont like anymore which is crazy.

Im not sure what your NDA agreement was but if the work is in the public domain, i doubt theyd notice or mind. letting them know is a courtesy i guess but if you change them significantly its new work anyway.

this might sound silly, but i like thinking my freetime work is my domain and i can do what i like; if i want to revise something i will. if i wasnt so lazy id do it more often too!
    hope that helps.

PS lets see the work. maybe we can help.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Digital art allows you so many possibilities that everything can be changed as you wish, especially if you made that piece,and you use it in your own portfolio.
    I am not sure why do you even ask this question, sounds like barging about portfolio review, and that's kinda stupid.

Who's gonna ask you if you made alteration to your own work?? wtf

M

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.