Repeatedly punching myself in the stomach

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well, I've thrown my art around the internet for a while to get a feel for what I need to work on. The general consensus of things I need to work on stands as follows:

Anatomy
    Proportion
    Gesture
    Cartoonish look.
    Contoured shading
    Understanding of form.

Most of those I can work on - things like an understanding of form, contouring my rendering and my proportions I can work on by myself and under the instruction of lectures and other resources / learning material. Anatomy will come in time (hopefully) because it's the meat of my university course and so I can't avoid it.

The things that trouble me most are gesture and the stylization problem. First off, Gesture. I understand that gesture is something like a line of action or rhythm around which the figure moves, like a sweeping motion or some kind of undulating line that delineates action. I may be entirely wrong in that definition. For me, my problems arise when I try and combine gestural information with anatomy and proportion. Things start getting rigid and fixed and the line of movement eventually resolves itself into a stagnant set of marks. How do you effectively combine gesture and anatomical acuity? Can you take license with the figure or do you need to compromise one or the other?

Next off is stylization. This is something I had no idea I was doing until someone (read: many people) pointed it out to me. I have no idea how this is happening or what I can do to fix it beyond tightening up my measurements and making sure everything is where it needs to be. For reference, here are the last few things I've managed to produce over the last three days. I'd be very appreciative if someone could set me right. Any advice on the other stuff is welcome too.

Thanks, everyone.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't look overly stylized to me. Your eyebrows tend to arch at the same place, which says to me that you probably used to draw alot of faces from memory and got in the habit of drawing the same 'idealized' face. I had that problem for quite a while. Your first pictures face looks like this the most. It doesn't really jive with the rest of her body because it appears you reverted to your previous style to phone in her features. So, other than paying a bit more attention to your particular references facial/bone structure, I think you are definitely heading in the right direction. Your torso's are coming out very nice. Continue pumping out these reference pieces and before long, you will see a huge improvement in your work all the way around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that. I guess you're right - I think I have the problem of mushing faces into proportional guidelines as opposed to actually measuring the face itself. I can work on that through mileage I guess. Either that or stare at people on the train.

I'll keep working at it, don't you worry about that!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And lay off the self abuse! Art is hard enough without a gut-ache.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    And lay off the self abuse!
    But that's how I improve! By comparing myself with a standard far above my own, and expecting myself to maintain a consistently upward trajectory until I either become the very best, burn myself out, or work myself into a chronic disease. One of those.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ATP View Post
    But that's how I improve! By comparing myself with a standard far above my own, and expecting myself to maintain a consistently upward trajectory until I either become the very best, burn myself out, or work myself into a chronic disease. One of those.
    That's good. But I was referring to the title of the thread...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So, you're a masochist?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    So, you're a masochist?
    And damn proud of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have style keep it, some people will dislike it some people will like it, in the end most artists work to develop some kind of style so don't worry about it so much..

for the rest observation is key.

Gesture is usually about the flow of motion but that too requires observation and practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightandDark View Post
    If you have style keep it, some people will dislike it some people will like it, in the end most artists work to develop some kind of style so don't worry about it so much..

for the rest observation is key.

Gesture is usually about the flow of motion but that too requires observation and practice.
    The second part of what you said is practical.

The part about style...isn't.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here's today's thing. I may or may not be able to crank out one picture a day on top of the regular studies, uni, work, exercise smoothie, but I shall persevere!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Remember that feet support the whole body. They are not tiny little nubbins on the ends of legs unless you're drawing ancient Chinese ladies.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Remember that feet support the whole body. They are not tiny little nubbins on the ends of legs unless you're drawing ancient Chinese ladies.
    Whose feet were mutilated at a young age as girls to fit into those very small shoes you see in old chinese images.

Foot binding it was called.

Picture the foot that could be forced into this:

One of the most digustingly inhumane thing I'd ever come across in my researching treks.

Just a "One to grow on" moment.

Andrew Loomis, Jack Hamm, and Stephen Peck are good books to learn feet structure.

-John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.