Why are modern artists so much better than artists from 100+ years ago?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 106
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Why are modern artists so much better than artists from 100+ years ago?

    The artists of antiquity weren't very good at depicting things realistically in comparison to modern artists who produce art that literally looks like a photograph.

    I always thought it was because artists like Leonardo DaVinci, Raphael, Rembrandt etc didn't have access to perfectly still photographs like modern artists - but even their depictions of things that don't move at all, like the classic bowl of fruit or landscapes, really don't look very realistic at all by modern standards.

    Not to mention lots of so called 'masters' from the mid 1800's onwards were actually using photographs, and yet the resultant picture wasn't that realistic by modern standards.

    http://www.fogonazos.es/2006/11/famo...praphs_06.html

    Google translate this link from Spanish:
    http://www.aloj.us.es/galba/MONOGRAF...MO/TextoT3.htm

     


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,110
    Thanks
    801
    Thanked 910 Times in 455 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    knowledge is cumulative.

    and our resources are vast, theirs werent.

    [edit] is there a reason they just picked expressionists, other than completely missing the point?

    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik
     

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,830
    Thanks
    2,631
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    *Runs out of thread*

    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
     

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Please be a troll, please be a troll, please be a troll...

     

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Santa Barbara, California, United States
    Posts
    475
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 266 Times in 137 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    0. Your question is flawed.

    1. As the saying goes, "we stand on the shoulders of giants".

    2. What makes you think the artists in that link were aiming for photo-realism? By that logic you could say that mickey mouse is bad art because he doesn't look much like a photograph of a mouse.

    3. Almost every professional artist aiming for realism works from photographic reference to some extent, especially when trying to meet a deadline. This is especially true when something needs to be a faithful depiction of something specific, because it will be obvious if you are BSing. (eg. if something needs to look exactly like Elvis in his 20s)

    ~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.
     

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Actually, this is just too stupid to leave open. Let me prevent
    any more IQ's from hitting rock bottom.

    Besides, I smell a troll...or some kind of spammer.
    One of my betters (ie: anyone of the other staff) can reopen this, but really, Good God.

    Last edited by Star Eater; July 18th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
     

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Thread closed?

    I don't really understand why?

    All the various Realist schools of art, with painters like Leonardo DaVinci, Rembrandt and Rafael were objectively less successful at depicting non moving references than modern artists, and I'm interested in knowing why.

    Photographs don't move, so modern artists have the advantage when it comes to painting people realistically, but then again, neither do houses. Does this painting of a house compare to a modern attempt at realism?

    Vermeer:
    Why are modern artists so much better than artists from 100+ years ago?


    Jason De Graaf:
    Why are modern artists so much better than artists from 100+ years ago?

    I'd appreciate the original thread reopened. I think it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask on an art forum.

    Last edited by ArtyArterson; July 18th, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
     

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    2,679
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It is an ignorant supposition you put forth. You obviously don't have the bandwidth to even bring it up. The second image is crap for all the reasons all the other crap being made now is crap. Hopefully Stareater will close this one too.

     

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,068
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Before we go any further, let's cover this:

    Realism != Photo-realism

    Once you can grasp that, we can talk about other things.

     

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    It is an ignorant supposition you put forth. You obviously don't have the bandwidth to even bring it up. The second image is crap for all the reasons all the other crap being made now is crap. Hopefully Stareater will close this one too.
    Are you 2 years old? You mightn't agree with me but to say I should be censored for holding a different opinion to yours is very immature.

    Like it or not, those artists were realists and were commissioned to depict things as they really were, and the most successful artists back then like DaVinci, Rembrandt etc were nowhere near as good at depicting things realistically as todays artists.

    I'm interested in why there was such a huge increase in the quality of realistic paintings, and not in other fields like Sculpture for example, where the masters of 100+ years ago are clearly better than anyone alive today at realistically depicting life.

     

  18. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    If someone closes a thread, take it up in the Support forum or send a PM. Do not start other threads whining about a thread being closed. It's on a fast track of pissing off other moderators to the point of banhammerism.

     

  19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Congratulations, genius, I've decided to give you enough rope.
    Threads merged and unlocked.
    Have fun, kiddies, lets see how this plays out for a while.



    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  22. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    618
    Thanked 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Like it or not, those artists were realists and were commissioned to depict things as they really were, and the most successful artists back then like DaVinci, Rembrandt etc were nowhere near as good at depicting things realistically as todays artists.
    Are you for serious.

    Their art doesn't look like photographs because they didn't have any photographs to copy.

     

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Admit it Elwell this is your Schadenfreude

     

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    1,238
    Thanks
    889
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Define real and realistic please.

    I smell a poster that I've smelled before.

     

  26. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtonw View Post
    Are you for serious.

    Their art doesn't look like photographs because they didn't have any photographs to copy.
    You don't need a photograph if it's something that doesn't move. A modern realist does a building and it's like you're actually looking at a building, Vermeen draws a building and it just looks like a decent likeness, but not perfectly realistic like modern paintings.

     

  27. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    618
    Thanked 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    What is it with you and things that don't move? I'm with Noah, please be a troll.

     

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtonw View Post
    What is it with you and things that don't move? I'm with Noah, please be a troll.
    Because the only advantage of a photograph over a model is that it never moves, never changes and is always there when you need it. I can understand drawing people using a model is more difficult than copying a photograph, but those advantages disappear when the thing you're painting doesn't move. There's no reason why it shouldn't look absolutely perfectly realistic. Why are modern artists so much more successful in their attempts to depict things realistically?

    Not a troll.

     

  29. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Admit it Elwell this is your Schadenfreude
    You say that like it's a bad thing.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 525 Times in 302 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Like it or not, those artists were realists and were commissioned to depict things as they really were, and the most successful artists back then like DaVinci, Rembrandt etc were nowhere near as good at depicting things realistically as today's artists."
    You can't prove that, rembrandt dead.

    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

    Flashback's SB

    Anatomy Atlas

    Digital Galleries

    Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
     

  32. #21
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Name:  MagrittePipe.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  49.0 KB


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  34. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Neither is this:

    Name:  DSC_6326.JPG
Views: 1279
Size:  129.0 KB


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  36. #23
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  37. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    618
    Thanked 98 Times in 49 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elwell View Post
    neither is this:

    Name:  DSC_6326.JPG
Views: 1279
Size:  129.0 KB
    but it looks so real


    eta omg why can't i type in all caps ;_;

     

  38. #25
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyArterson View Post
    Like it or not, those artists were realists and were commissioned to depict things as they really were,
    Not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyArterson View Post
    I'm interested in why there was such a huge increase in the quality of realistic paintings, and not in other fields like Sculpture for example, where the masters of 100+ years ago are clearly better than anyone alive today at realistically depicting life.
    Also not true.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  39. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,749
    Thanks
    2,679
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 2,393 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyArterson View Post
    Because the only advantage of a photograph over a model is that it never moves, never changes and is always there when you need it. I can understand drawing people using a model is more difficult than copying a photograph, but those advantages disappear when the thing you're painting doesn't move. There's no reason why it shouldn't look absolutely perfectly realistic. Why are modern artists so much more successful in their attempts to depict things realistically?

    Not a troll.
    You can't actually be that stupid can you? The only important difference to a painter is the sun moving across the object in real life. Even indoors natural light changes dramatically. Of course you wouldn't know that because you've never painted from life. Painting from photos is only hard for beginners. Its a NOOB problem easily solved.

     

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


  41. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    2,364
    Thanks
    796
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Is there even a point to this thread?

    "Because the only advantage of a photograph over a model is that it never moves, never changes and is always there when you need it. I can understand drawing people using a model is more difficult than copying a photograph, but those advantages disappear when the thing you're painting doesn't move. There's no reason why it shouldn't look absolutely perfectly realistic. Why are modern artists so much more successful in their attempts to depict things realistically?"

    This appears to be a variant of "begging the question." I mean, really, you're essentially saying that "modern" (I think you mean "contemporary") artists are "better" because they are able to use photo-ref.

    Right?

     

  42. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Why are modern artists so much better than artists from 100+ years ago?
    why didnt medieval people kill other people with their sword and bow as efficient as we do with our gun today ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyArterson View Post
    The artists of antiquity weren't very good at depicting things realistically in comparison to modern artists who produce art that literally looks like a photograph.

    I always thought it was because artists like Leonardo DaVinci, Raphael, Rembrandt etc didn't have access to perfectly still photographs like modern artists - but even their depictions of things that don't move at all, like the classic bowl of fruit or landscapes, really don't look very realistic at all by modern standards.
    they were the master of their time, how could you NOT getting this through your head ?

    Why are modern artists so much more successful in their attempts to depict things realistically?
    because they dont have to spend a few thousand years in a cave drawing stick figures and animals and symbolic sun and star, then another few thousand years develop and study color theory, perspective, anatomy, etc and another few hundred years invent photography, charoal pencil and drawing tool
    because everything from before can be found packed neatly in something we call "drawing book"

     

  43. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    2,337
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Photos do not actually look very much like reality.

    Paintings that look like photos also don't look very much like reality.

    Learn to observe.

    (Never mind that "looking real" is not and never has been the sole criteria for creating and judging art, by a long shot. Learn some art history while you're at it.)

     

  44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:


  45. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyArterson View Post
    Like it or not, those artists were realists and were commissioned to depict things as they really were,
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Not true.
    GOD DAMMIT! THIS HAPPENED HE WAS THERE AND PAINTED IT
    Why are modern artists so much better than artists from 100+ years ago?

     

  46. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook