Thread: Character Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok it's a character but what for? If you want some tips about your design you need to tell us what was you looking for. If you just need tips about technique then it will be different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a character for my fantasy portfolio.i wanted to design a worrior hero type...and i need tips for both technique and design if possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know where to start man. I'ts just one pic. I'm used to work in a very different way to develop a character. Do some research, draw more poses, change some detail, see if it fit with the world you have in mind. That's how you should think about characters. For the technique, well it's tough to tell you anything and generally it's not a good sign.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Regarding the technique question i just want to know how you for example would colour a black/white painting in ps? Another layer with colour mode or do you paint over the entired picture or anything else?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it depends, usually if i'm doing a new design i tend to do it in bw first cause i like to focus on shapes and details, thinking about color theory in this stage is too difficult and things can change very fast. In the other hand sometimes i do everything directly with colors cause maybe i know already the materials i want to use but generally i don't do something very complicated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    timmi - here's me trying to answer your question from a technical perspective. Hope this will help.

If all you want to do is add colors onto a black/white image in Ps......

ONE way (like you said) is to paint color on a new layer using color mode. That works real well in Anime or celluloid-like drawings.

But it seems you're going for more of a "painterly rendered look".....

So here's the trick:

You don't need a lot of color.

I'm saying this because usually, the amount of color I put into my paintings are kind of slim. But when I do use colors, I would likely use a combination of color mode and direct-paint-on colors. I'd possibly start with using a color mode layer to lay down the general color tone of my character. Then I'd merge that layer into the b/w layer, and then paint some highlights directly over the new painting.

I think what Hitsu//San is implying (and I'd agree) is that before we think "color", we could (and in many cases, should) get our b/w comp look right FIRST.

As of now, this b/w comp seems a bit washed out. Maybe punching in some dark greys in certain corners will make the image "pop!" more.

Anatomy-wise - his right foot looks good, left foot a bit flat, face is a bit too small but the arms themselves look legit. He does seem to be leaning forward a bit - a common challenge that I also face.

Pay CLOSE ATTENTION to POSTURE, CONTOUR and PERSPECTIVE - Clothes are often opportunities to show contour for the character - and if done wrong - can ruin the whole drawing.

Right now the belt and the vest is the main issue. The belt needs to look more tight and elliptical (right now it's kind of loose like a smily face). The vest need to be more voluminous - they seem to be flat now.

Sorry if this is a lot of critical information to swallow. Lots of challenges - but very fixable challenges. Good effort!!

Last edited by kosherchai; July 21st, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Dong-Chin Chai
    Concept Art + Manga + Motion Design + IM
    Attn: Designers - Click here to GET DESIGN MANUAL - Free Custom Brushes And More!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your critique it's not to much at all.your tips regarding techniqe were helpful as well so thanks for that too.

Members who have read this thread: 2