Need some Crit on Work

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Need some Crit on Work

hey there guys was just wondering if I could get some crit on the following bits of work, just upload a collection, let us know if you have any feedback, First time posting some work here, so feel free to be brutal, need some good feedback.

Also One of my main problems when coming to concept art as I am still a student Learning, I always get stuck on what to paint, I just wondered if anyone had any advice on that?

Cheers Guys

Ben

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,387 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There seems to be a big quality gap between real subjects and invented ones. You need to close that gap by finishing things more and getting more real world effects into your work. Light proportion anatomy and perspective don't stop because your making something up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yer that makes a lot of sense, I am definitely guilty of not finishing things, its just because that part of the process is the least creative, my mind can focus on it as well I guess. Good points though cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Critical Hits:

@First Piece: Not bad composition however you have no depth of field whatsoever. You also need to paint over the shapes you adopted from photomanipulation to make them part of the same world as the other elements in the composition.
    Lighting the Scene better could also help you focus the viewer's attention to a point of interest because right now that scene just has tons of details scattered around and no clear direction of a story..

@Second Piece: Good attention to light and composition, the gradient on the sky bothers me for some reason, maybe because it is not in the same direction as the sunlight so look into that.
    The tree-branch looks good but its base seems very odd and since it is in front of the house it should be more detailed than the house(it isn't)
    Same deal with the Bush, perspective of detail(depth of field) is very important in maintaining the illusion of space.

@Third: I like the idea in the concept however you need to keep several things in mind when constructing these mechanical robotic monsters:
    1) How do their limbs move: do they use giant servo engines? hydraulics? try to draw a realistic looking mechanism with all the parts as though someone constructed it from smaller parts.
    2) Make sure that said limbs and joints look like they can actually move in the range of motion required: The assumption that metal bends like skin does is a common mistake on many hard-surface mech-art.

And again keep perspective of detail to maintain depth of field, especially where you used photos.

@Fourth:
    One : define the raised arm and what it is doing better because its unclear.
    Two : Try to break it down to the underlying anatomy beneath the suit and see if the proportions still make sense.
    Three: What is holding the EOD shield up in front of thefigure? it is unclear.
    All of them: Some areas of the Form are very vague and ill-defined, it would make people using these concepts have to guess at what kind of detail to put there and how it behaves especially due to the lack of symmetry in the details on these suits.
    They could also use some more define structure of where and how the limbs bend in case someone decide to model and animate these in 3d... at this point if I wanted to build these in 3d id probably scratch my head and have to change stuff around to try and make sense of how the surface topology of these figures would behave and animate.
    Not saying everything has to result in a 3d character but character art of this sort is usually made so someone would build and animate it so keep that in mind, think of how figures would move and try to communicate important details in a more comprehensive way.

For the rest take what I said and apply it to the other stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LightandDark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a really big help thank you. Will take these into considerations and work on making these changes to the current pieces, thank you for the in depth reply

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess its safe to say you've heard of Feng Zhu? I like the bomb disposal guys the most out of your imaginative stuff.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well as par as detailing is concerned, I give you full.
    You are a good environmental artist but lacking in anatomy. I guess Even robots needs to match anatomy, be it unusual , but it must appear artistically soothing.
    In your case your bots are good with details but are not correct:
    in term of their anatomy and Pose.
    You color and light knowledge is good.
    You must instead start focusing on environments rather than characters unless you have an interest in them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    >scrt_AgentMan: Yes I have indeed, he is a big inspiration for me, love his stuff

>Aonegamer : I personally find environments easier if I am honest but with the character stuff I would of thought that I should work on these the most as I find the more challenging? How would you suggest I improve my pose and anatomy, look at books? use referance while painting? what do you think?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.