Art education for Finns

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art education for Finns

My sitsuation in short is that I am looking to get into a proper art school in a year after I finish my current studies.

My problem is that there are very few options within Finland for such studies (2 options for universities, few others from more general "university of applied siences" places). The universities might be tough to get in (something likr 6% get in for graphical design).
    Ofcourse I am going to still try my best and I have around year to develop myself with self studies so you never know. Problem being that I would much rather study outside Finland in a proper art school / program than to study in some general schools graphical design course. Also have not really heard anything good about the options inside Finland so far...

Problem with looking for education outside Finland is really just that I have no idea where to start looking. I am able and willing to pay for proper education (ofcourse to an extend) but it's a pretty big commitment.

I have already went through 3 years of university (IT) and I am pretty much only looking for education that would provide me good study environment and education to get my skills up there, I don't really care for anything besides that for now. So big city small city etc. doesn't matter. FZD videos were the main reason for me to suddenly deside that I should really just go for it and my trail of thought would be to first get some education and finish it off with FZD (my passions really lean towards enterteinment design). Any thought about this plan?

So, have you ever been in same sitsuation? Maybe not as a finn but as someone else from similiar coutry that needed to look for other options. Any advices on where I should be looking at?

Last edited by NotForAll; July 17th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Destruction is about otherworldy awesome made of consentrated cool.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I studied at Angel Academy of Art in Florence, Italy, there were always some Finns around.
    They told me their government was supporting them with a sort of student scholarship (awesome stuff! You lucky Finns!) so they could afford it.

But if classical academic painting and drawing isn't your thing at all, there's also the Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark. Another small private school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    When I studied at Angel Academy of Art in Florence, Italy, there were always some Finns around.
    They told me their government was supporting them with a sort of student scholarship (awesome stuff! You lucky Finns!) so they could afford it.

But if classical academic painting and drawing isn't your thing at all, there's also the Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark. Another small private school.
    Thank you for the reply.
    The education in Finland right up to university is paid by the goverment so I think those students just got some exchange thing going for a year or so. Not really what I am looking for.
    How should I specify what I want... digital illustration, design and consept art are the things that look really compelling to me.
    I don't really care for animation at all and I'm really not looking to be an artist in a way that I would paint traditional paintings. So I feel the options you pointed out would no doubt be great and teach me loads of valuable things but at the same time they don't really hit home with me. And I feel like I really need to find the right place because it's pretty big deal for me Thank you for the help anyway!

Last edited by NotForAll; July 18th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey, thanks for the link to the Animation Workshop. I'm also Finnish and also interested. Although I'm not sure if this is exactly what I'm looking for, I think those links might give me some food for thought. That is to say, some ideas of further places to look into, if I ever get the time and motivation to do so.

So, I guess I might do some research on my own if I feel like it. And I might add I suggest the same course of action for my fellow Finn NotForAll. Unless, of course, someone else has something more they want to share with us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad most art education in Finland isn't geared towards concept art/entertainment design. All the schools teach shitty liberal art and not hardcore figurative drawing and illustration. Your best bet would be to study on your own but that's super tough and not for everyone. If money isn't a problem get hell out of Finland and study abroad ! Industrial design is the closest thing you could apply to in Finland if you want to become a conceptual designer. You mentioned Feng Zhu and he has an degree in industrial design. Oh, the things I would do to have an Illustration program in Finland... (Kaikki suomalaiset mukaan keskusteluun! Suomeksikin saa avautua maamme taideopetuksen rappiotilasta vitsivitsi)

Last edited by ozark; July 22nd, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
    "All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw?"

MY SKETCHBOOK, COMMENT & CRITIC THE SHIT OUT OF ME

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel like updating this since I guess there must be more good info out there that I'm not seeing . After Assembly(big Finnish LAN event) I've been looking into bachelors of Media in TAMK (Tampereen Ammattikorkeakoulu) and it seems decent in ways that it seems to contain loads of well, media stuff. And if I understood correctly it is located next to the art department of the same school making it possible for the students to take loads of art courses too.
    This option, for me anyway, is mostly the "easy way out" kind of thing. They also seemed to have similar students gamedevelopment club that I have where I live atm. Mostly noted this as an option based on conversation I had with a student who was doing some dragon illustration in one of the Assembly stands.

So that's that but it still isn't really what I want and if I end up going there I feel I can kiss any dreams of illustrator / consept artist goodbye. Which leads to another option of online courses. TAD is the obvious option here but I also cannot help but feel the online only experience in studies hurts badly on the long run. With the lack of exposure to competetive(?) educational environment, can I really learn as much as I'd hope. This doubt is further enchanced by my experinces so far from university studies. I have honestly learned more from my fellow students than learning on my own from the course material.

It also seems that all but few options for illustration / consept art are in the US and that would be quite a big jump, much bigger than studying in europe or even asia I feel.
    Then again, can I get a study place in the US is a problem in itself...
    Anyone here willing to share their pros/cons in studying in the US as a foreigner?

Last edited by NotForAll; August 20th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1