TEAM CHAL: Demon Cat Assasin Herders Inc. - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TEAM CHAL: Demon Cat Assasin Herders Inc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Varguy-Thank you. Now I know what the deal is. When you posted the panels you worked on I thought that was an example. When I pasted them on top of the page they didn't read very well zoomed out and didn't flow with the rest of the page. You also introduced a big cat prematurely, which throws off the mood of the I was aiming for. I should have come out and said it.

I thought we were going to have an open ended paintover process. When I went to the MB workshop last year that was the process SixMoreVodka, Steambot and Massive Black taught. Sometimes they didn't exactly know what they were painting until the third pass. That's why I posted those abstract thumbnails to see if that could work.

In terms of style, I think we can shoot for something Jaime Jones-esque. I can see the influence in Varguy's style.

I think since I wrote the script I should take the responsibility of storytelling. I'll be in charge of making sure the mood, expressions and body language comes correct.

Incinerated- Can you model a really tricked out staff and kitty basket for us. I think the Industrial design is one thing that has been neglected, so if you could go above and beyond with that we can get ahead on that front.

Varguy-I'll come right out and say it. You are the muscle. How about you block in the color and basic forms. You are the best at that. You are probably the strongest character designer as well, so can you do a turn around of the gypsy with the branch, just lose the branch. You already have the front figured out.

Pixie and Latus- Where you at? Come at me bro!

I'm going to spend the rest of the day, doing tight under-drawing for the page.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :INTRUDER ALERT: I think that Varguy's colored gypsy with the backpack full of cat and the little mouse crawling out of her pouch was shaping up to be very cool... Not trying to influence your team, but that is the one with the most potential. Also you already have 25% of it complete.

Nice ideas guys.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shorinji_Knight thanks for the feedback dude

Raoul: I'll get on that ...

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright here's a quick character sheet based on the sketch Raoul mentioned. If anyone has any cool design ideas I should add, let me know, or feel free to paint over it directly.

By the way way, Raoul, do you want me to do the color block-ins for the panels you did from the previous page or did you mean color thumbnails for the illustration and environment finals? Or something else entirely? Kind of confused what you meant exactly.

Attached Images Attached Images    

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Varguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uploading staff ID and gipsyís portrait that I did yesterday.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to latus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The idea for staff is to combine it with the gun loaded with vials containing valerian liquid (to which cats are extremely attracted). So our guardian could shoot it at the enemies and make all cats attack particular target. The ring thingy at the top of the staff (Raoulís idea from previous drawings) is for grabbing the cats and throwing them at the hordes of enemies.

I did that portrait to establish our guardianís facial attributes.

Please let me know what you think., should I change anything? Also if you wish feel free to paint over it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all I want to thank Incinerated for not being afraid to criticize our team (that also includes me).

I agree that we should decide on our team’s leader. Who will know what and how every team member is doing, is he\she behind or ahead the schedule and if someone is slowing down or just can’t handle particular task, relocate it to other team member, make switches, organize skype meetings and other things in order to ensure that we will deliver our tasks.

I see our team’s leader more as project manager than art director.

Yes, I really think we need to set milestones and goals assigned for each of us. As a result we will prevent work overlapping, random drawing and will know who does what! So if you have suggestions, questions or whatever… you will know whom to ask.

What about direction? We need to unify our ideas and style for final pieces. We can make decisions all together by voting, or we really need sort of art director who will do the job.

I believe we need answers to these questions in order to improve our workflow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you all kicking into gear, now we just need the Pixie to show up.

Varguy, Very nice.... We need to be carefull it doesn't become too brown... Seems okay tho

Latus, I like the gun staff idea, imma start modelling it

Feel free to suggest addons, decals and the like ... its relatively easy to resize stuff as well

Prelim models

Name:  gunstaff.png
Views: 372
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  case of kittens.png
Views: 354
Size:  31.8 KB

Last edited by Incinerated; August 5th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Latus: Portrait was a good idea, it helps to give her a bit more character as well. Did a quick paintover to fix some anatomy mistakes and pushed the rendering a bit further. Tried to give her a slightly arrogant look.

@Incinerated: Thanks. The colors are indeed quite dull right now. For the final character piece and the illustration we should choose whatever colors compliment the image as a whole, so just see them as placeholders for now.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Varguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latus-Glad to see you haven't given up on us. I like the facial jewelry and brades and stuff. How about you paintover Varguy's turnaround. I think her costume could use some decorative patterns.
    I'll involve the catbow and pheramone in the storytelling on the next page. I wasn't sold on that concept at first, but now I'm pretty excited about it.
    I don't think using the staff to hurl cats at the enemy looked very good. I think it would be best used for commanding the cats in battle.

As far as the leadership stuff goes. I'm certainly not the guy for that. I was hoping Pixie could take that role from the beginning, because I believe she runs the IDW challenges. But her presence is the most absent. So I'm assuming she was hit by a bus, set on fire and eaten by a pack of feral dogs.

Incinerated-Glad to see you are getting a jump on this. The backpack needs to be able to sling under her shoulders as well as rest on her back, because I'd have to redraw some of the poses. If you can really floss a design like this I'd be happy to redraw it. But I had something like this in mind for what we have so far, just more tacked on flash.

Varguy-Lookin good. The page should be ready for you tomorrow night, but I'm taking my time to get it right. It's going to be a tight lay-in. I want you to block in the color and form for that. Plus you know the costume best.

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie has been calculating HVAC requirements and how not to kill people via falling building a great deal more than she had anticipated. Sorry guys. Unless something really big changes for me I think I'm not going to be able to be of too terribly much use for actually drawing and painting. If you give me one thing to work on I can probably manage it, but I'm not going to have time enough to actively paint multiple things. We do need some leadership- I painted the cat morph, then other jumped in (yay!) but then we had no idea where that was going so it kinda fizzled (I'm not quite sure how the blob thing is happening, and what type of cats we're going for, if there's different ones for different situations, or what, so I personally know I was sitting there floundering as to how to start). If you just need someone to spend 30 minutes every other night or so directing and pushing people with a few crits (which is basicly what the weekly modding is) I can probably manage, but I won't get much else done. That being said, we need to have a better idea of what the director, whoever they may end up being, is pushing us towards. We have a plot fragment we've been working from, but I personally don't really have a good idea of an overall design picture or plot history is. I know what I would do if I were on my own but that's not what this is about.

And because I can't help myself: I'd love seeing people trying to ask questions and answer them to push your designs forward and move past cliches. We have a typical gypsy girl here. Does she have more cat pouches? Leather clothes so she doesn't get clawed, or maybe clawed up clothes? Has she hiked up her skirts to help her running about grabbing kitties and then put on extra socks or wrapped her legs to avoid scratches? Is she rich enough to have custom things made, or is she working on putting things together from the rag bin? Is she a lone ranger type, or is she part of an organization? And so on... If we get a good idea of what the situation is, or if someone has a really strong idea for one part which they explain thoroughly we can then build off of it, and individuals can pull from that to make an interesting and believable designs from their own heads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie-Sorry for throwing you under the bus. I'm glad you weren't set on fire and eaten by feral dogs. I understand.

The line of questioning you left off on is very valid. Like I said I'm assuming the responsibility of everything storytelling. I'm right in the middle of the under drawing, so I can't answer all of those questions just yet. There has been allot of feedback to take in today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul, I was going more basket than bag... I can just change it about

Varguy, we already have a red on the bandana. Red would be easy to add to the weapon and bag. Red?

Pixie glad you're alive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im still working on it... I think its more bag like now...

do you want a lantern hanging of it or sigils, banners? let me know

update

Last edited by Incinerated; August 6th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do we just need someone to write up a bit more of a backstory and then everyone else can add/change it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie I think Raoul is going to do it. You could help me with the industrials, I know you have a bit of experience there.

Anyhoo I was thinking about setting up livestream plus skype, so you people can talk to me while I'm modeling/drawing. Good or bad idea?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good on all fronts. What program are you using for the 3D? I'm rubbish with anything other than Rhino.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use sketchup mostly ... I havent ventured a long way into 3d yet ... We can do it whenever you have the most time to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working for most of the day today but anytime after 9pm here is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats a deal, skype at 9pm ontario time (UTC/GMT -5 hours)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, as I understand Raoul is in charge of panels. (storyline included). Raoul, what do you think? Can you finish it completely? Or would you like to collaborate with someone?
    In my opinion, panels drawing/painting style could differ the most from the rest of the pieces. So I really wouldn’t be afraid to give it away to one person.

Industrial design goes second in regards of style. I see Incinerated is most enthusiastic about this. Would you take this task?
    By the way, about google’s sketchup. Can you render finished piece with it? Would you use it as reference for later over-paint? Or you have some other thoughts on this?

Environment and illustration should be pretty close to character and creature designs style.
    I think Varguy is most suitable to make finished pieces for illustration (maybe also environment, creature and character as well). p.s. no offense to others!

But yeah… it’s quite a heavy load on Varguy’s shoulders. Also not to mention I really can’t define my own and Pixie’s roles…

As I can only talk for myself, I think I could make creature designs (cats, morphed tigers).

Pixie? What do you think your role could be? I saw you are teaming up with Incinerated for ID. Also we need to develop our villain’s character (he’s quite big and charismatic figure in our storyline as well).

So just to summarize what I just jibber jabbered:

Panels – Raoul
    Industrial – Incinerated, Pixie
    Illustration – Varguy
    Character – Varguy
    Environemnt - Varguy
    Creature - Latus

Guys, what do you think? These are just very rough ideas, so feel free to comment, criticize and even disagree with this plan (but only if you throw in some alternative ideas).

Also, it would be healthy to estimate how many hours a week can you work on this challenge. This will influence our roles greatly.

Pixie – 3-4hours/week (if I understand correctly from her post)
    Latus – 20-25hours/week (no more absence till the deadline comes)
    Raoul - ???
    Insineratd - ???
    Varguy - ???

Also big questions is what do we do first and what second? Do we figure out storyline first, then do characters, creature, environment designs, then panels, then illustration? Or vise versa? Any suggestions?

Raould – I would love to paintover Varguy’s figures, but first I really feel we should set our roles properly.

Varguy – A little arrogance seems to fit our character. Also I see you tend to make our guardian’s chin quite big. Is that just coincidence or you did that on purpose? It gives her some kind of rough and manly look. Or is it just me?

Cheers!

Last edited by latus; August 6th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and one more thing... Guys, could you take a look at IOW #31 and vote. Not necessarily for me of course! Also critique is very appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Half Assed Backstory-The shadow lords were originally a secret cult that ruled over civilization and in the end sacrificed their civilization to pay tribute to the shadows. The survivors had to become nomadic to stay on the run. When the Shadow Lords catch onto a roving band they start with small sacrifices and then demand larger and more unreasonable sacrifices until the tribe is broken and consume every last soul in the tribe. This band of gypsies have found their weakness described in ancient hieroglyphs, CATS! To be more specific "Pharaoh-mones" ;D The cat herder has been hired to assassinate every last Shadow Goo Demon on earth. She is the new guardian of humanity.

Notes- I uploaded this page in 3 segments. The dimensions are standard comic working ratio 11x17. This came out more sloppy than intended I felt the need to rush it since we are behind schedule. I erased the complicated Reilly abstraction stuff because I'm not sure if you are familiar with that method. So it's not a real lay-in. I also added some half assed shadow patterns just to break up the forms.
    Panel 1-Go ahead and improvise however you'd like. I pulled up a combination of gypsy and pioneer caravans. If you have a better idea I am open to it.
    Panel 2-Like before I trust you if you feel the need to improvise, just make sure it points to panel 3.
    Panel 3- Just try to make the shadow lord unnaturally dark and the wig unnaturally white.
    Panel 4-The key effect is lost edges. Keep them at a very low contrast aside from the glowing teeth and eyes. Can you make these guys gooey like you did when you introduced the concept?
    Panel 5-This panel has is important. It has to deliver humor. Her facial expression is key.
    Panel 6- The cat on the staff is slightly morphing. It has grown double in size. The shadow lord's wig turns into smoke as it unravels in an angry reflex.
    Panel 7- Obvious transformation is obvious. The cat on the staff is growing a mane. He is the pack leader.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 6th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latus-Great Plan. I think you may be putting too much on Varguy's plate. I can finish the comic pages on my own, but I wanted to see the product of a team effort.Maybe whoever specializes in whatever contributes that final element into the panels. For example, since you are doing creatures, you contribute to the creatures.
    -Sorry I was too late to vote for your IOW. My only crit for that is on composition. It looks like movie still concept art (common misconception). Look at classic illustrations and GN cover art. You need to bite the comp in the ass at the thumbnail stage to get an iconic result. No two ways about it.

Incinerated-
    Basket, bag two slings, one sling or whatever you think would serve best. I'd prefer something firm and tube shaped, but feel free to do whatever the hell you want. Just make sure it fits the continuity of the page. You can ad any bells and whistles your imagination can muster up. Just keep it functional.
    I like the livestream idea. Although I have no idea how to carry over time. Is there a good site for that?

PS
    I'm going to edit the backstory I wrote. It's total jibberish even by my standards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raoul we ended up just using skype, what do you mean "carry over time"?... Pixie and me are going at it again tonight, we may be starting at 7pm (UTC/GMT -5 hours),
    we're adding a ring flute with a dream catcher in the ring, I assume we'll be posting sometime im the morning tomorrow for me atleast.

Latus seems fine, im a bit worried that we might be placing to much weight on Varguy, I have lots of time although that can change fairly quickly, depending on my job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incinerated- I'm not going to be able to make a go of it tonight. I won't be free until Friday night I don't think, but I'm going to keep working on the flute in little bits. It should end up being done for at least a first round of crits by then.

We ended talking about what different things the girl would be carrying and how a shepherds crook and a bag weren't going to be able to control a herd of cats. Looking at the Pied Piper and how he controlled a herd, and given how she's a gypsy and they're somewhat known for music, we gave her a magical dreamweaver ring flute thing and a stick to hang it on. Here's a rough wip. I'm going to rough it up some more, give it a cloth grip between the holes and string some objects in the web etc.

Name:  ring flute.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  145.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixie thats fine I could probably use the sleep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, here's a quick color block in for the panels. I went with night time, don't know if that's what you had in mind Raoul, let me know if I should try out other lighting situations as well.

As for how we share the work. I'm fine with bringing the character, env and illustration finals to a finish, but it'd help me a lot if someone could do a linedrawing for the character, with all the cloth/armor design and the industrial design that Pixie and Incinerated are still working on. Because I tend to do characters too simple and basic and as Pixie said, we don't want to end up with just a generic gypsy girl.

Also for the environment, it'd help if everyone did some quick thumbnails or just wrote down their ideas what should be in the environment. We don't want to depict the exact same area in illustration, panels and environment, but we should still make it look like it's one coherent world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anybody think this idea is interesting enough? If so, I want Team IDW to ad the backpack when it's ready and I'll see if I can keep up with Varguys bad ass color scheme.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 8th, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4